Airfix XH558 Avro Vulcan

On 20/12/2016 at 4:37 AM, k5054nz said:

A touching story, a lovely build and a spectacular display. Bravo! I hope you're proud of the end result as it is fantastic.

Thank you. I must admit I am proud of it. 

On 20/12/2016 at 7:49 AM, neil5208 said:

Very nice, followed the wipe with great interest.

Thank you, hopefully other Vulcan builders can take something from the WIP. 

20 hours ago, Battle said:

A simply stunning model of what has surely got to be the best looking (jet) aircraft ever built? 

Glad lad you like it. I agree, the best looking ever, both in looks and sound. 

14 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Cracking piece of work featuring some righteous rescribing.  Mine would probably get a rub-down with wet-and-dry and a coat of Liquid Poly at best.

Thank you Joseph. The scribing was a headache I can tell you. If anything though I think they are a bit deep and wide though. Hope I've got away with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2016 at 11:54 AM, Drift said:

An awesome build. I was watching a documentary on the Falkland war and the insane Vulcan mission to bomb the runway. Now I also want to build one. 

Just go for it. There's loads of help around, either on this site, in books or on the internet if you want to build an accurate Black Buck Vulcan. 

Great build Mark. Just gathering the bits for a foray into Airfix Vulcan building. Going to a do a Anti-flash 12 Squadron one, and will steal all the hints you have in you WiP without shame or guilt!

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

Wonderful model Mark.

I'll never forget seeing the Vulcan at North Weald in 1989, in a far more aggressive display than was allowed later on. The take-off was incredible.

You've done it proud!

• Like 1

Great job on model and presentation. I'm not a Vulcan builder yet, but with all the different RfI's I see covering the type I have been feeling a natural draw to wanting a model. I don't think I have the overall energy and time to accomplish what you did here @Mark4700, so I will have to wait for a new tool! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bombernut said:

Great build Mark. Just gathering the bits for a foray into Airfix Vulcan building. Going to a do a Anti-flash 12 Squadron one, and will steal all the hints you have in you WiP without shame or guilt!

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt. And I hope you take some of the tips from my WIP. The biggest tip I can give for a Vulcan build is to glue the upper wings to the upper fuselage and lower wings to lower fuselage, this helps with a much neater appearance and much less filling and sanding. 

14 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Very nice - I like the way you've displayed it, too.

Thank you, for me it was important to see the wing shape when displayed. 

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks splendid and a great way to display it.  You can almost hear the Vulcan howl.

Thank you, glad you like it. 

7 hours ago, IanC said:

Wonderful model Mark.

I'll never forget seeing the Vulcan at North Weald in 1989, in a far more aggressive display than was allowed later on. The take-off was incredible.

You've done it proud!

Thanks Ian. I am proud of it, and received that it's finished and looks presentable. 

7 hours ago, modelglue said:

Great job on model and presentation. I'm not a Vulcan builder yet, but with all the different RfI's I see covering the type I have been feeling a natural draw to wanting a model. I don't think I have the overall energy and time to accomplish what you did here @Mark4700, so I will have to wait for a new tool! 

Thank you. Surely Airfix will do a new tool of the Vulcan. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Awesome Vulcan!! Excellent rescribing, very nice attention to detail!!

Also, I just saw the in progress thread!! Very nice and helpful for others like me who have the kit!!

Congratulations for the build!!

Regards,

Nontas

• Like 1

A stunning model of this beautiful aircraft. You have certainly done it justice Mark. You have done a superb job on updating this dinosaur of a kit. 

I am struggling with one on the bench as we speak so I know the trials and tribulations that you have faced and had to overcome.

Great job! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 03/01/2017 at 8:55 AM, NontasB said:

Awesome Vulcan!! Excellent rescribing, very nice attention to detail!!

Also, I just saw the in progress thread!! Very nice and helpful for others like me who have the kit!!

Congratulations for the build!!

Regards,

Nontas

Thank you for your comments Nontas. Glad you like the WIP thread and that you got something from it. 

• Like 1

Beautiful looking Vulcan the work you have put in to it has really paid off, the airfix kit is not that accurate as you have proved maybe we will get a new tool some day.

I love the way you have displayed her to.

Guy

• Like 1

On 03/01/2017 at 10:05 AM, Mach82 said:

A stunning model of this beautiful aircraft. You have certainly done it justice Mark. You have done a superb job on updating this dinosaur of a kit. 

I am struggling with one on the bench as we speak so I know the trials and tribulations that you have faced and had to overcome.

Great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words. 

Just stick at it with your build, the kit fights you all the way, but don't give up. The rewards are well worth it. 

17 hours ago, F4u said:

Beautiful looking Vulcan the work you have put in to it has really paid off, the airfix kit is not that accurate as you have proved maybe we will get a new tool some day.

I love the way you have displayed her to.

Guy

Thanks Guy. Fingers crossed for a new tool of this iconic aircraft. 

10 hours ago, chrish said:

Poetry in motion.

Thanks Cherish

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Geez that's huge!

The picture with the model on the shelf really shows how much of a monster this thing is.

It is quite big, a lot of wing area to paint. 

• 2 months later...

Hello, My name is Denis, I live in Canada, though am a Brit'. I have just joined this group and am looking at all you wonderful pictures of your model

I have just purchased this model from Airfix and am a little confused as to the colour used. I have noticed that all the images, including yours, seem to display

lighter colours than those suggested by Airfix, namely the Humbrol # 163-Dark Green, and the Humbrol # 164-Dark Sea Grey. Both in the directions AND, as I said,

other images, these colours look a lot lighter. can you please tell me what actual paint brand you used and the codes. I have bought these paints in readiness

as I have yet to receive the model. Thank you very much, and great job, I hope mine looks as good as yours when done.  Cheers, Denis. 

Thank you for your reply and input to my question. I thought they must have mest up with the grey, way too dark from what i can see, but, I also think that the 163 is a little dark for the green, that said, I have not been able to find a lighter green in the camo tints, maybe i could tint it down a bit myself, somehow. anyway, again, thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Denis.