Airfix XH558 Avro Vulcan

4 hours ago, maritime said:

Thank you for your reply and input to my question. I thought they must have mest up with the grey, way too dark from what i can see, but, I also think that the 163 is a little dark for the green, that said, I have not been able to find a lighter green in the camo tints, maybe i could tint it down a bit myself, somehow. anyway, again, thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Denis.

Thanks for your question and comments. And thanks @PhantomBigStu for your assistance. As you say XH558 is painted in medium sea grey, not the dark sea grey as in the instructions. 

There are aldo other differences. Most importantly, the engines are wrong, the nose TFR isn't on XH558, nor is the oblong box on the rear right side, I think this is for cooling the rear radar. Also XH558 is painted in gloss paint. This is because it's longer lasting that the usual matt. Oh and the cammo pattern, although close in the instructions, is not exactly as XH558. 

If if you want to build yours as close to the real XH558 have a look at my work in progress http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996769-172-airfix-vulcan-finished/

Thank you for your reply and input to my question. I thought they must have mest up with the grey, way too dark from what i can see, but, I also think that the 163 is a little dark for the green, that said, I have not been able to find a lighter green in the camo tints, maybe i could tint it down a bit myself, somehow. anyway, again, thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Denis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maritime said:

might have missed my last post, this build is finished with humbrol 163 http://www.arcair.com/Gal4/3901-4000/gal3967-Vulcan-Branson/00.shtm, compare to the real thing and the green is fine 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xh588&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB725GB725&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxj8H019jSAhWIjVQKHarEAu8Q_AUIBygC&biw=1600&bih=770

• Like 1

On 15/03/2017 at 14:10, PhantomBigStu said:

Totally agree. I used humbrol medium sea grey 165 and humbrol dark green 163. I then used coats of humbrol gloss varnish until I was happy. I didn't want it too glossy as I think it may have looked too much like a toy. I'm happy with the colours and are about as near as I could get. 

Here's a picture I took of the real thing in its hanger. 

XH558

Edited by Mark4700
Update photo

I'm so impressed by the dedication to rescribe.  I am patiently waiting for the New Tool Vulcan but builds like this make me impatient enough to have a go! 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2017 at 0:54 PM, At Sea said:

I'm so impressed by the dedication to rescribe.  I am patiently waiting for the New Tool Vulcan but builds like this make me impatient enough to have a go! 

Go for it. You can't beat the sense of achievement when it's finished. :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I came home from work on Christmas Day to find that XH558 had had a close encounter with a Christmas candle. I have promised not to name the person who placed a candle under my beloved Vulcan but her name rhymes with hail, and she is currently still my wife, just!  Thank god she noticed after two minutes that the heat coming off the flame was rising causing the underside of the Vulvan to melt. 

Below is a couple of pictures of the damage. 

Damage to Vulcan

Damage to Vulcan

To be honest it was a proper mess. Some plastic had melted away, some had shrivelled up and some had drooped.

• Sad 4

First up on the repair job was to fill the hole with bits of plastcard. And then sand the areas that had drooped below the line of the airframe. 

Damage to Vulcan

Then some filler and sanding. Repeat a couple of times and I got to this stage. 

Damage to Vulcan

Then more filler, more sanding and a quick rescribe of the panel lines followed be masking and an undercoat and this is where I’m at now. 

Damage to Vulcan

Damage to Vulcan

All that’s left now is a respray and reattach a couple of aerials. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Sad to see it damaged as you did a fine job on it......

Are you going to restore it or build a new one?

Cheers, jan

Restoring it. Just put another post up. I love a challenge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the repair. Grey and green topcoats done. Just varnish and some antennas to replace. One other thing, I’ve damaged some of the decals with masking and overspray. I’ve emailed Airfix with my plight, just waiting to hear back from them. 

Here’s where I’m at. 

24731263057_554ebd0f65_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Your initial build was very nice and I'm very impressed with your repair!

Thanks Chris. I’m finding the difficult bit is getting the paint to match. It should look presentable soon though. 

Hello,Mark - I remember the 1977 Silver Jubilee Airshow at Finningley and also Great Yorkshire Airshow at Church Fenton.Yes,My Friend, emotional and moving events in every sense.Wonderful memories and beautifully captured with this magnificent tribute of XH558.I’m sorry about the mishap but your obvious skills and love of subject ensured her return to former glory.

Along with the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work,I love everything about her.Great work.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decals arrived and applied. Then another coat of gloss varnish. I’m now considering it finished again. For the second time. 

26061888458_13322e33b1_b.jpg

39934354371_28e72a53c5_b.jpg

25062772147_4e773d7220_b.jpg

And finally it’s back in pride of place where it belongs. 

25062772697_cd98a30ec5_b.jpg

• Like 3