Spitfire XIV Airfix/ICM 1/48

Hi folks,

I always wanted a decent Spitfire XIV in 1/48 scale. As I was not very happy with the Academy kit I did try kitbashing a couple a years ago. This is the Airfix Spitfire XIX coupled with the ICM Spitfire IX wings. The result is far from perfect but it may look more like a Spitfire XIV than the Academy one.

754632spitfireXIV1.jpg

967274spitfireXIV2.jpg

374381spitfireXIV5.jpg

• Like 35

Thanks a lot for your comments

26 minutes ago, NPL said:

Splendid. One question: How did the wings mate with the Airfix fuselage?

Actually the fitting is just perfect ! No need of putty whatsoever. The most difficult is to fit the radiators to the wings, the windscreen was a little bit tricky as well .

cheers

Strangely enough, when I saw this thread I remembered I'd an ICM Spitfire IX in the stash and also an Airfix PR.XIX too. There's some short-shotting on the ICM (!!!) and I've been keeping it for spares.

So ... I might try this kit bash.  It seems (all) I need do is delete the intake on the PR.XIX's port side nose,  adjust the ICM wing to fit the Airfix fuselage ( I think a small part of the Airfix wing underside has to be retained to fill a gap?), force-fit the Airfix radiators to the ICM wing and fiddle the ICM widescreen to fit the Airfix fuselage.

So, Pelican and Tony, am I right or am I missing something?

As always, any and all advice very gratefully received.

I hope everyone is having a good Christmas break, and best wishes & happy modelling to all for 2017 ...

Jonny

On 26/12/2016 at 18:53, Jonny said:

So, Pelican and Tony, am I right or am I missing something?

As far as I know you are right. Don't forget to fill the camera location on the fuselage side, on the other side you'll have to move back further a small access panel.