1/72 Jasmine Model Horten Ho 229

44 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

(blasted auto-correct nearly had me complimenting you on your 'patent porpoise'...)

Well, some might argue...............................

Martian The even more Mischievous

• Like 4

Today I brought both wings up to the same level by adding these ribs and stringers to the RH wing. The upstanding flange has to be folded over after these parts have been added:

P1140396_zpsux4wmg03.jpg

Like so:

P1140397_zpscon2fyda.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the drag rudders. When I looked at these I thought there might be a problem with them not being etched through. When held up to the light there were areas where there was no discernible gap:

P1140398_zpsrpdurgaz.jpg

However, when it came to bending them there was no problem, the metal must have been reduced to a foil like thickness:

P1140399_zpsa8eysdys.jpg

This is actually a very well engineered kit. Any fit issues are down to build tolerances I have inadvertently introduced.

Here are the drag rudders installed:

P1140400_zps9qv137qa.jpg

I thought these were the last pieces to go onto the wings:

P1140401_zpsyahgezoi.jpg

Then I spotted these strips which really were the last pieces required to finish the wings:

P1140402_zpsyslxcptb.jpg

That completely cleared one of the frets (apart from the stand which I won't be using):

P1140403_zpsljtz6ozj.jpg

The other fret is nearly clear apart from the DF loop and mast:

P1140404_zpsojoor6pn.jpg

As well as these parts which aren't mentioned in the instructions but look like flaps to me:

P1140405_zpsmbam0whq.jpg

I'll just have to use some intelligent guesswork in deciding where those should go.

Now I could start adding the wings:

P1140406_zpsh9gtnpgt.jpg

During wing fitting operations various bits broke off including the landing gear leg, a brace on the underside, a wing rib and one of the drag rudders. I fixed the rudder and rib but will leave the other parts off until after the other wing has been added.

It might be sensible to leave it like this to harden up overnight before adding the other wing:

P1140407_zpszv8xnttt.jpg

Hopefully I won't need the brown sugar before then.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

I have solved the mystery of the "flaps", they are actually access hatches for the guns. They are not present at stage 25 but magically appear from nowhere at stage 26:

P1140408_zpsgznn1x3g.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work there Nigel - almost finished, just the skinning to do now? :D:wicked: 

I was wondering what colour scheme he as in mind!

Martian

• Like 2

Die Kleidung des Fuhrers (Kaiser):wicked:

Nice Patient Porpoise coming along there! For some reason that name sounds so right:winkgrin:

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
so called african electrical supply!!!!
  • Like 3

Today the first job was to attach the RH wing:

P1140410_zpsuouyb3s6.jpg

P1140411_zps4x9frygo.jpg

That just leaves me with this handful of parts to attach / reattach:

P1140412_zps6jbyusix.jpg

I just thought I would do a short update while the wing is hardening up.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

11 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Die Kleidung des Fuhrers (Kaiser):wicked:

Nice Patient Porpoise coming along there! For some reason that name sounds so right:winkgrin:

Perhaps Nigel should be known as Patient Porpoise from now on?

Martian

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Perhaps Nigel should be known as Patient Porpoise from now on?

Martian

I second that!

There are these gaps on the wing leading edge which should not be there. I didn't fancy ripping off the offending part for fear of causing much collateral damage on this increasingly fragile thing, instead I cut some scraps of fret to bridge the gap:

P1140413_zpsxy9txqht.jpg

I had a right game getting the rest of the remaining parts attached, particularly the rear undercarriage leg and the engine intakes but eventually got it finished:

P1140414_zps8hwe38jx.jpg

Not a kit for the faint hearted but a nice challenge to complete. Here's the RFI.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 12

I am going to make a start on this but I don't have the right tools and materials to get very far with it until I go back to Scotland. All I can really do is remove a few parts from the runners and give them a clean up.

• Like 1

I'm with Hendie. It even looks scary to try and pick it up. A good sneeze and I'm scared parts will be a flying! I do think it is an amazing build though.  Although, it can't be finished. Where are the decals and I really want to see how you manage to get them to snuggle down!

• Like 2