1/72 Jasmine Model Horten Ho 229

I am away from my modelling bench due to starting a new job a few months back. I have missed not being able to get much modelling done so I have decided to start a new project which should only require a limited set of tools and not need an airbrush (at least until I get to the white metal parts):

P1140190_zpshjlzb2ej.jpg

Here's what in the box, two photoetched stainless steel frets protected on both sides by clear film:

P1140191_zpskjukcy8m.jpg

A small bag of cast white metal parts:

P1140192_zpsvnj1xdti.jpg

Fourteen pages of pictorial instructions:

P1140193_zpsw6ttjylc.jpg

Construction starts with the engines:

P1140194_zpsm6eagkwh.jpg

These are all the tools I have, hopefully I've got all the right ones:

P1140195_zpsl2kvdafu.jpg

So here's my start on the first engine:

P1140196_zpsr93cfvve.jpg

P1140197_zpsi0worr7v.jpg

Here is what my temporary modelling bench looks like:

P1140198_zps4ojlxusi.jpg

Not perfect but I got a new bulb for my magnifier this morning so I'm up and running. I thought this kit looked a bit daunting but I spoke to Jockster at Telford and he said it was pretty straightforward, we shall see....

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 16

I saw these at Telford, but the temptation was beyond my wallet at that point.

Looks like a quality piece of engineering, so I doubt we'll see you exercising your modelling skills to the normal extent, but I'm sure we'll enjoy watching you build it as much as we usually do.

(It'll probably help with the modelling-withdrawal you've been feeling as well!).

• Like 1

Here's how far I have got with the engines, all eight compressor stages installed:

P1140199_zpslwdk4t4g.jpg

I may get more done before Christmas but  most likely the next update will be after the festivities.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks fiddly.

Maybe a trained spider would help?

Surely nigel is the closest thing we have?

looks a beautiful kit. I do like the look of these things, It will be nice to see how one goes together... as I will never be able to find out for myself!

And a merry Christmas to you too

Rob 

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

It is an extremely comfortingexperience watching somebody else build this Nigel.:winkgrin: 

The finished structure looks complex enough to predict lunar eclipses if you turn a handle....

Best of luck,

Tony

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just found this via your Me 1101 Nigel.

Fascinating. This looks like it will take a lot of concentration and dedication.

Your temporary modellling area is very neat, I need something like that too at the moment; thanks for sharing the pictures :).

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

A belated happy new year

TonyT

• Like 2

After a long break I have at last got some more done on this today. First I finished off both engines:

P1140258_zps9nmvr3aa.jpg

With the engines done, construction now moves onto the "Fuselage":

P1140259_zpswk5neikd.jpg

This quite large piece of PE will form the spine of the fuselage:

P1140260_zpsorgqycnc.jpg

Those are the main tools I am using to cut out and clean the pips off the parts. The flat jaw pliers are an essential aid to holding the parts during sanding. The PE is actually very soft (too soft really) and is easily bent and distorted. The pliers held close to the pips provide the needed local support.

The two tiny plastic hinge points snapped when I tried to bend it up so I had to glue and align carefully by hand. I haven't got any clamps so it had to be done with finger pressure. Anyway, finished it looks like the part in the instructions:

P1140261_zpst5fb6toe.jpg

Next another big piece for the fuselage, here before I have cleaned off the fret pips:

P1140262_zpsgoozypwt.jpg

By the way, no blades snapped so far but I did collect extra spare blades after Christmas as a precaution.

Again the two tiny plastic hinge points snapped so I aligned by eye. Here's how looks glued and folded up:

P1140263_zpsvgpzw3h7.jpg

Those upward pointing legs are super delicate, I hope they survive the construction process.

The next job is to unite these two pieces of fuselage but that's a job for tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11