1/72 Jasmine Model Horten Ho 229

This is a bit like watching someone build a cathedral Nigel, bringing order to the universe on piece at a time. (That fish dish looked fabulous btw..)

Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

P1140356_zpsowwnfmjg.jpg

That was a good place to stop as they can harden up before adding the next stages which are the undercarriage doors.

Last night I made myself a dish of poached cod with a cheesy mustard sauce and new potatoes:

P1140344_zpsigouxuti.jpg

Tonight I am going to make a chicken and leek stroganoff.  :eat:

Bye for now,

Nigel

You know all's well in the world when Nigel's modelling and cooking!

Welcome back Nigel, the build is exquisite, and the chicken and leek striving sounds divine!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated as ever.

Here is my chicken and leek stroganoff

P1140357_zpsmbrbsv5u.jpg

It was from a Jamie Oliver recipe and I think it would have been a bit better to have browned the chicken first (which I nearly did but decided to follow the instructions exactly). Ah well, live and learn.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6

This is where I started today with my Horten standing on her legs for the first time:

P1140366_zpsxxv1a9r7.jpg

I decided to deviate from the instructions for the first time and not add the DF loop, mast and u/c doors as they would be too vulnerable to damage and can easily be added at the end of the build:

P1140367_zps4esvginv.jpg

It is already difficult enough to find safe handling points for this very fragile thing.

The first job of the day was to install the engines:

P1140368_zpsdhjq4mkg.jpg

I had not been looking forward to that but it went surprisingly well.

Next these V shaped braces were added to the underside:

P1140369_zpsbravfo9n.jpg

A few more parts were added and then I sorted out the top braces, both of which ultimately broke off. I think these would have been better as separate parts as they were too vulnerable during all the preceding construction:

P1140370_zpsrbkkj0mo.jpg

The main part of the canopy presented an interesting bending job which was achieved with a combination of bending jig and pliers:

P1140372_zpsh7zgn64d.jpg

Here are all the canopy parts ready for installation:

P1140374_zps2ehiaj1h.jpg

During canopy installation I managed to break off one of the main u/c legs completely, here it is drying after being glued back in place:

P1140375_zpsbi6meduo.jpg

I think that is a good place to stop while it hardens up overnight. I just have a bit more to do on the canopy and then tomorrow it will be onto the wings!!

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 12

Great stuff Nigel. All those fragile, bendable parts would drive me potty! Good job Sir, she's coming along nicely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hendie said:

I agree with them above.  

It's a sad old world when the things you do start to make Martian look like the sane one among us.

Clearly I am not trying hard enough!

15 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

LOLs me making Martian looking sane, not a chance, he's an IPMS judge after all.

Harsh but fair Nigey! As I was also comp sec, I am certainly bang to rights there.

Martian

• Like 3

I actually got the canopy installed last night. The front part is only attached at two points and is yet another fragile area:

P1140376_zpstsmmxq0p.jpg

Today I have nearly finished off both wings but Photobucket refuses to upload my photos. I will try again later or tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

Try Post Image Nigey, it has given me no trouble since I gave PB the boot. There is even a contact point for help which got back to me very quickly when I got into a muddle when I had to change my email address. Well recommended!

Martian the Helpful

• Like 1

Still quite incredible to watch this build.

It looks extremely delicate. Superb precision modelling Nigel :thumbsup2: 

The picture of cod in cheesy mustard sauce a few posts back is stuck in my brain, making me hungry, as are those very nice looking new potatoes. Yum!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

I have finally got last weekend's photos loaded. Wing construction started with some careful bending of the ribs

P1140378_zps6vwp9u1m.jpg

That was done mainly with flat jawed pliers and where space was really tight with fine pointed tweezers.

By the end of work on Sunday one wing was virtually finished with the other one not too far behind:

P1140379_zpsu4vtxwqw.jpg

I've just got to add the drag rudders and a few more bits and pieces and then the wings can be fitted and this will then be complete. I should get this finished tomorrow.

Until then bye,

Nigel

• Like 14

The wings are looking good! However the though just occurred to me that I hope you don't need to add nose weight to this model once the wings are on and the centre of gravity moves aft. :wicked:

Martian the Mischievous

• Like 2

My eyes hurt from just looking at this build. You, sir, are a metal artisan!  At this point in time, if I was doing this kit, the shape would be similar to that of aluminum foil rolled up into a ball!  It is amazing. And it is nice to see references to your culinary craft skills too. Reminds me of the first build I ever saw you do on this fine site. Well done on the Horton and the meals. 

• Like 1

I... uh... wuh...

All that bending work on the wings... two photos. Too humble Nigel, I'm sure there was lots of pain involved.

They're looking great though. Weird, but great :) 

• Like 1

And I thought I had framework worries to contend with! :lol: 

I always look forwards to seeing there's a new post up in this thread Nigel, if only to feel humbled by your patient sense of purpose. (blasted auto-correct nearly had me complimenting you on your 'patent porpoise'...)

Admirable sir, quite admirable. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 3