1/48th Hunter, we need a new release.

Shaun

I know this has been asked numerous times but why have Airfix not looked at doing a 1/48th Hunter series?. With the current standard of their kits I'm sure they could produce a great kit. The only other game is the Academy/Italeri  which as we know has a few issues.

• Like 6

I agree.. I am holding off from building a Swedish J34 for that reason. Took a look at the Academy one and the AM-bits for changing the saw tooth wings but figured surely, such an iconing aircraft *must* come from Airfix sooner or later, eh?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

I agree.. I am holding off from building a Swedish J34 for that reason. Took a look at the Academy one and the AM-bits for changing the saw tooth wings but figured surely, such an iconing aircraft *must* come from Airfix sooner or later, eh?

I'd have put it ahead of a Javelin by a long measure........

• Like 2

On ‎18‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 0:19 PM, Shaun said:

The only other game is the Academy/Italeri  which as we know has a few issues.

Well if you're adventurous (read masochistic), there's still the ancient Lindberg and its Marusan(?)/Nichimo clone...Comes with the added Bonus of a working (sort of) ejector seat.

Edited by tempestfan
Stupid autocorrect - I know how its is written...
  • Like 1

It would indeed seem to be a natural for the new Airfix to do in 1/48. And a two-seater would certainly be most welcome.

Not just 1/48th but 1/72nd too!  An F.4 and T.7 would do nicely in either scale.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but I wonder if Airfix was to kit a new F-mark Hunter in any scale, could they not bring out a two seater nose conversion as a seperate.

I would have thought that may be an extra "earner" for them and they have the tools to do so at their disposal. They could also apply this to other existing

kits eg: Harrier and Lightning twin sticks. I'm probably wide of the mark but if the cottage industries can make it work.......

1 minute ago, RobertF said:

Well, your (and mine) whim has been catered for. Not by Airfix, but by ACADEMY.

Announced on Jadar's website:

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/academy-12312-148-raf-export-hawker-hunter-f6fga9-p-49387.html?language=en

Now, please, don't start about it being the wrong type, choice of decals etc...;)

Robert

Alas Robert that's the old Academy kit which has a number of issues with shape, size of cockpit, and the infamous wing fit!

Cheers & vrolijk kerstfeest

Jonners

8 minutes ago, RobertF said:

Oh sugar...:sorry:

well, at least that'll make it easier for me to keep within my next year's modelling budget. Rather disappointing, though.

Thanks Jonners and vrolijk kerstfeest to you too!

Robert

dont apologise mate - its currently the only game in town unless you can find an Aeroclub one

Jonners

• Like 1

The reason that Hawker were able to rebuild early Hunters into large bore variants or two seaters are the same reason that a well thought out model would allow for the whole family to be released. The differences were largely limited to the nose, the extreme tail and the wing leading edges and flaps. This was why Matchbox were able to do the single and two seater in the one kit -though let's not mention the tailpipe...

On 21/12/2016 at 1:22 AM, tempestfan said:

Well if you're adventurous (read masochistic), there's still the ancient Lindberg and its Marusan(?)/Nichimo clone...Comes with the added Bonus of a working (sort of) ejector seat.

Closer to 1:50, and a horror! I started one years ago, when it was the only game in town, but when the good Mr Adams released his gems I quickly canned it!

On 21/12/2016 at 0:25 PM, T7 Models said:

The reason that Hawker were able to rebuild early Hunters into large bore variants or two seaters are the same reason that a well thought out model would allow for the whole family to be released. The differences were largely limited to the nose, the extreme tail and the wing leading edges and flaps. This was why Matchbox were able to do the single and two seater in the one kit -though let's not mention the tailpipe...

From what I understand most early small bore airframes were either scraped or converted into two-seaters and GA.11s since it was not economic to change the engine and therefore the center fuselage along with everything else required to update the F.1/2/4/5 airframes to F.6 standard.

If Airfix were willing a kit could be tooled to allow the F.1 & 4 fighters along with the T.7/8 and most export two-seaters then throw in a few extra bits to cover GA.11s. While the F.6 and FGA.9 sold well and carried more schemes there's still a few export uses to take the F.4 and of course the T.7 sold well around the world also.

So Airfix, there you have it, Revell already did the F.6 & FGA.9 so crack on with the F.1/4/T.7/8 please.

If Airfix decided to tool a new Hunter, why not do what Hawker did?  Just make a new trainer nose to add it to an existing airframe  They did it with the Valiant kit, offered an option for a PR version..........Make the nose section of the trainer cockpit as a separate kit, sell the trainer version as an option/extra, that I think would  please every one

• Like 1

That's correct Col, the big engined Hunters had a different centre section matched to that engine.  Very subtle visually but the engines weren't designed to fit into the different sections.

As you say only the Avon 100 Series were converted into FGA/PR.11s and twin seaters.

There was a project to turn a T.8M into a powerful version, using a F.58 centre section, but came to nowt sadly.

I suppose though that a kit probably could live with using the the same centre section across the marks, and possibly engineered to reflect the changes.

Single seaters can be converted to twin seaters by swapping the nose (and associated fairings etc) over, so should be easy to do in a kit, as Matchbox did.

I think the problem with a new Hunter, is that there is already one out, and just re-released. 

Though enthusiasts know the issues with that kit, I'm guessing kit company financial planners wouldn't want to readily agree to releasing a kit of a type already out there, what ever its pitfuls.

Edited by 71chally

3 hours ago, Col. said:

From what I understand most early small bore airframes were either scraped or converted into two-seaters and GA.11s since it was not economic to change the engine and therefore the center fuselage along with everything else required to update the F.1/2/4/5 airframes to F.6 standard.

If Airfix were willing a kit could be tooled to allow the F.1 & 4 fighters along with the T.7/8 and most export two-seaters then throw in a few extra bits to cover GA.11s. While the F.6 and FGA.9 sold well and carried more schemes there's still a few export uses to take the F.4 and of course the T.7 sold well around the world also.

So Airfix, there you have it, Revell already did the F.6 & FGA.9 so crack on with the F.1/4/T.7/8 please.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

That's correct Col, the big engined Hunters had a different centre section matched to that engine.  Very subtle visually but the engines weren't designed to fit into the different sections.

As you say only the Avon 100 Series were converted into FGA/PR.11s and twin seaters.

There was a project to turn a T.8M into a powerful version, using a F.58 centre section, but came to nowt sadly.

I suppose though that a kit probably could live with using the the same centre section across the marks, and possibly engineered to reflect the changes.

Single seaters can be converted to twin seaters by swapping the nose (and associated fairings etc) over, so should be easy to do in a kit, as Matchbox did.

I think the problem with a new Hunter, is that there is already one out, and just re-released. 

Though enthusiasts know the issues with that kit, I'm guessing kit company financial planners wouldn't want to readily agree to releasing a kit of a type already out there, what ever its pitfuls.

Not strictly true gents.

Mike McEvoy's much lamented F.4 XF317 (IIRC), was turned into an FR.71A - so a small bore airframe could be turned into a big-bore airframe, it's just a matter of whether it was financially viable.  Plainly it was for export airframes.

In my alternative world, all the F.1/2/4/5 were turned into FGA.9's and given to the RAuxAF...

Anyway, the obvious gaps in the market are F.1/4 and T.7/8.

• Like 1

I didn't say that they couldn't be converted, just stating that they did have different centre sections, and that the smaller engined Avon airframes pretty much remained as such.  Apart from the wing structure and possibly the cockpit section, there wouldn't be much of the original F.4 left.

Airfix should do a 1/48 Hunter. A landmark memory for me in modelling was building their 1/72 F.6 in 111 Sqn "Black  Arrows" scheme in what, 1960 something? Opinions differ, (surprise) but the Hunter is one of the most beautiful of aircraft, the 2 seater, one of the ugliest! :)

• Like 1