Sword 1/48 Lightning - missile confusion

woody37

Hi guys,

I'm finishing off the 1/48 Sword lightning and coming to paint the missiles but I'm confused. Internet photos show the fire streak with pointy nose having the fins that are on the kit missile with rounded nose (Red Top) and vice versa. Anyone else noticed this? I think the easy solution is to chop the noses off and swap them, but just want to check I'm not losing my marbles...as does often happen!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Sword did make a mistake with the seeker heads on the 1/48 Lightning kits. Should be easy enough to cut them off with a razor saw and swap them over.

• Like 2

Having looked at a photo of xs452, the protective seeker cover appears to be pointed, so I've decided to leave it and will apply a heavy coat of white to give the effect of a cover being on it. This should be a good work around as the two missiles have different diameters. Hope to get it finished today.

thanks for the quick replies :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

Having looked at a photo of xs452, the protective seeker cover appears to be pointed, so I've decided to leave it and will apply a heavy coat of white to give the effect of a cover being on it. This should be a good work around as the two missiles have different diameters. Hope to get it finished today.

thanks for the quick replies :)

Interesting - Red Top with a Firestreak "Noddy" cap [Lakenheath June 1970] :-

c19SU6c.jpg

TVGL8bE.jpg

Dennis 

Edited by sloegin57
XS452 inserted, copyright added
  • Like 3

Noddy caps were pointed for easy of fitting to both types of missiles usually only used for ferrying live missiles to MPC at RAF Valley.  I've seen them use to cover a damaged seeker head. on a ferry flight back to Binbrook. In the 80's Redtops only flew with wings fritted on live missiles at all other times they were flown with them removed.                           

The day to day protective covers were a flexible red rubbery/plastic that pushed on. Node caps were made from sheet steel made locally in STN workshops and were secured by a jubilee clip. 

• Like 1