DL-44 Heavy Blaster

Not a ship or figure but got the 3D printer working well and had to try this.  Found the 3D model online (thanks Alan Stanford) and had to try printing one.  Didn't print it at the printers highest resolution but pretty close.  There were about 12 parts total, some I had to try several times because of messed up prints, failures, etc.  Once I had the parts I sanded and used a heavy auto primer / filler to get it smooth (some places better than others).  Also used plastic filler in some places.  Painted with Vallejo paints and primers after.  Used their metal colors and stain on it. 

I really like the way the grips came out.

Going to print another one at the highest resolution printer will go and try to break some of the pieces down so that I can make molds from them and then resin cast the part.

blaster2_small_zps2fllx20b.jpg

blaster1_small_zps3lmrnjsg.jpg

Going to be Christmas gift for my son.

By the way, saw Rogue One - Best Star Wars movie ever.

• Like 14

I quite fancy one of those, although I've already got an Airsoft Broom-Handled Mauser as a base.  Where might one find the plans, as I know a man with access to a superb 3D printer :ninja:

• Like 2

Thanks for that :D I'll show it my friend, and see what he thinks of it.  The example looks quite "layery", but the printer he uses has some seriously thin deposition slices.  If that carries forth to the finished article, the end result will need little remedial work other than assembly & painting.  Whether he could do that much printing is the other thing :ninja:

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Thanks for that :D I'll show it my friend, and see what he thinks of it.  The example looks quite "layery", but the printer he uses has some seriously thin deposition slices.  If that carries forth to the finished article, the end result will need little remedial work other than assembly & painting.  Whether he could do that much printing is the other thing :ninja:

Yeah, I did a lot (and I mean a lot) of sanding and filling primer. I used a 0.12mm layer thickness, going to try and print again at 0.06mm (my highest resolution).  Somethings I've test at that resolution are much easier to work with.  Just printed a template to create a mold for clear resin for 1/72 falcon engine.  To get really smooth only took a couple coats of primer and a little sanding.  

Well that was a surprising turn of events!  I sent my friend the plans for the blaster in the afternoon, and got a message "It's in print" in the evening.  This morning I got a pic sent though, which you can see below.  Not a brilliant quality shot as it's on a phone, but you get the jist :Tasty:

parts.jpg

How's that for service? Pew Pew Pew Pew!!!! ^_^

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Well that was a surprising turn of events!  I sent my friend the plans for the blaster in the afternoon, and got a message "It's in print" in the evening.  This morning I got a pic sent though, which you can see below.  Not a brilliant quality shot as it's on a phone, but you get the jist :Tasty:

parts.jpg

How's that for service? Pew Pew Pew Pew!!!! ^_^

Wow, that is a fast turnaround.  Parts look good.  Have fun and Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

MunchMunch,

EXQUISITE  and EXCEPTIONAL 3-D work. :yikes:

you created a really STUNNING piece of work. 

:shoot:

BRAVO  for being brave enough to  do that...  I think your son  is most probably enjoying this gift of yours!:yahoo:

Super effort.:clap2:

very nice model.

Did you know the old Mauser Broomhandle was the preferred choice weapon of our old Prime Minister Winston Chruchill during his term in the Boer War.. A useful interesting Tuesday fact in case anyone wanted to know..

Wow.

Looking up 3d printing on google, its amazing what some people have come up with.

Some weapons id love to have.

Gears of War Lancer

Star Trek Phaser Rifle (First Contact)

Judge Dredd Lawgiver (1995 Stallone)

Aliens Pulse Rifle.

Just to name a few.

Tell me, what 3d printer did you use to print your blaster.

Awesome job on yours.

Wayne.