Here's my 1/48 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Hello dears,

I like accuracy in my kits, but my main point of interest is historical accuracy.

And every brand wich have issued a birdcage corsair did represent a birdcage from the VF-17 Jolly Rogers Sqdn shooting at a japanese Aircraft?

That's definirely wrong, they never did so ! And there is no birdcage from VF-17 with any Victory markings.

Obviously, the Blackburn irregulars have used the birdcage but CONUS only and for training purpose.

They also were about the first to try to carqual the F4U-1 with a relative success. They have tested the différents type of oleo struts, the shape of the hook and so on..

So I represent the F4U-1 of Cdr John Thomas Blackburn, I admire the man and I've been Lucky enough to exchange some letters with him before he passed away.

And I will make every kind of Aircraft used by the Jolly Rogers. (I get every one of them)

So here's the F4U-1 Birdcage, The engine and interior has been modified or replaced, the tailwheel is the short one. And yes ... they are intended to carry bombs from the beggining on.

The ones used here are from an accurate miniature kit.

WP_20161215_21_49_40_ProWP_20161215_21_50_19_Pro

The weathering has been kept very light since the Aircraft were brand new at the time.

Except for the belly of the Aircraft, since the first PW 2800 were a little oily spitters and the oleo struts since they fail very oftenly.

WP_20161215_21_24_57_Pro

Photo from USNI

WP_20161215_21_49_14_ProWP_20161215_21_50_06_Pro

I know that my kits will be more attractive with a nice background, but I no longer have a good camera, all this is made with my cell phone.

And moreover, Knowing myself has I know me, I will use a different and related background for every kit. But whatever, I make my mind about it.

WP_20161215_21_49_53_ProWP_20161215_21_24_41_Pro

Photo from Tailhook association.

Hope that you will enjoy the thread.

Thank for watching.

Corsaircorp

• Like 11

Corsaircorp,

Great job on the U bird👍

Also nice presentation on the history of that particular bird📸👌

Question for ya, what brand of after market R-2800 engine did you use❓

Cheers,

Mr. Happy (In name only)

Spoiler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Corsaircorp,

Great job on the U bird👍

Also nice presentation on the history of that particular bird📸👌

Question for ya, what brand of after market R-2800 engine did you use❓

Cheers,

Mr. Happy (In name only)

Hide contents

Hello Mr Happy,

I mainly use Aires engines, the one in the dash 1 is from Aires.

But sometimes, in SHobby or others cottage kit, you have very nice resin engines.

Exemple ; the engine from the Hobby boss dash 4 is definitely good and I did'nt judge necessary to replace it.

Thank for the kind words.

Corsaircorp