41 Sqn Siskin

Admiral Puff

Looking for something different to do with a Matchbox Siskin, I found this via Google:

220px-Armstrong-Whitworth_Siskin_ExCC_zp

A couple of questions:

There is the standard squadron stripe on the fuselage and above the top wing; am I right to presume that this was red?

The photographer carefully positioned himself to ensure that the tailplane covered the important part of the serial - has anyone any idea of what it may have been, or how I might be able to find out? Google has not been my friend ...

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

G'day Admiral,

Aeroplane Monthly, May 1978, has a colour pic of No. 41 Squadron's J8655, as well as a b/w pic of the same squadron's J8386. The colour of the stripe is a maroon / orange depending on whether you look at the wing or fuselage. It is not the bright red of the roundel.

The caption states that the colour pic was taken at Hendon in 1929, and is copyright National Geographic Society. I have not posted it here as I am uncertain as to the copyright situation, and do not want to invoke Mike's ire.

If you don't have access to that mag, email or pm me.

I used that pic when I did my 1/48 Siskin as the kit decals had fallen apart,and it was easy to mask.

Cheers,

Magpie22

16 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

G'day Admiral,

Aeroplane Monthly, May 1978, has a colour pic of No. 41 Squadron's J8655, as well as a b/w pic of the same squadron's J8386. The colour of the stripe is a maroon / orange depending on whether you look at the wing or fuselage. It is not the bright red of the roundel.

The caption states that the colour pic was taken at Hendon in 1929, and is copyright National Geographic Society. I have not posted it here as I am uncertain as to the copyright situation, and do not want to invoke Mike's ire.

If you don't have access to that mag, email or pm me.

I used that pic when I did my 1/48 Siskin as the kit decals had fallen apart,and it was easy to mask.

Cheers,

Magpie22

Thanks, Peter. I should have that one in the collection.

And all the best for Christmas!

DC

While it is somewhat dangerous to do so, I venture out to say that the similarity in appearance of the fuselage bar and roundel centre suggest they caused the film to react similarly. How does the roundel centre in the colour pic look like ? 1929 must have been very early colour film stock. I do not recall what the old Dataplan booklet by Alf Granger has to say on 41 colours, but that's a publication I'd recommend to anyone building a Siskin.

Edited by tempestfan

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

While it is somewhat dangerous to do so, I venture out to say that the similarity in appearance of the fuselage bar and roundel centre suggest they caused the film to react similarly. How does the roundel centre in the colour pic look like ? 1929 must have been very early colour film stock. I do not recall what the old Dataplan booklet by Alf Granger has to say on 41 colours, but that's a publication I'd recommend to anyone building a Siskin.

The Granger book (which I remembered I had while I was looking for my copy of the Aeroplane Monthly) says simply "Red bars", and the hatching is the same as that for the roundel centres. It certainly DOESN'T look like that in the Aeroplane Monthly picture - I'd venture to guess more a maroon, something like Humbrol 20 (Gloss Crimson).

I would agree that Granger is as near as we'll get to a Siskin bible.

• Like 1

On 18 December 2016 at 2:24 PM, Magpie22 said:

Aeroclub vacform - about 25 years ago!!

I shall keep my eyes peeled in the slim chance I come across one!

16 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The National geographic pic in Aeroplane Monthly was not shot on colour film. It was taken using the Autochrome process which you will often see in Nat Geo mags of that period. It was invented by Lumiere in the early 1900s and you will even see WWI shots taken using it.

The film plate used was coated evenly with very fine dyed, red, green and blue starch grains which were then flattened by pressure, a seal applied over it, and then a standard silver halide panchromatic emulsion applied. The end result was what I would call a colour transparency. The colour definition produced was by no means up to the standard of later colour dye emulsions and tended to lack the sharpness we later accepted as standard. Nevertheless, Autochromes did give a good indication of the colours photographed. That's the best I can remember from my photo courses - if you want more......Google :rolleyes:

Magpie22

5 hours ago, GordonM said:

I shall keep my eyes peeled in the slim chance I come across one!

Worth it if you can find one. Not an easy build but, as with most Aeroclub kits, quite accurate, and certainly an unusual looking aircraft. And, at least you don't have the problem with many Aeroclub kits of transparencies that slowly turn opaque. I shudder every time I look at my Folland Gnat - must pull it off the shelf and make a new canopy for it.

Cheers,

Magpie22