Operational Lightning with NO belly tank?

David Womby

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Recently read Lightning Boys. If the had an engine fire in No2, they would dump the tank

They must have had explosive bolts in the early days then. The tank on our T5 was held on by a pair of hooks and a pair of threaded fasteners.

23 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

They must have had explosive bolts in the early days then. The tank on our T5 was held on by a pair of hooks and a pair of threaded fasteners.

Perhaps they made the student pilot go back and unhook them in the event of a fire whilst airborne.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, David Womby said:

LOL - John, I was asking about Lightnings without belly tanks.  Not belly tanks without Lightnings!

David

But at least it gives you something to do with one of the original Airfix Lightnings ...

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, David Womby said:

Brilliant, John!   Thanks so much.  I hadn't seen the ones of XP701 before but the middle one is the one I remember from somewhere.    Looks like she's with the LTF.  She's an F1A and I presume she's XM183 given the code on her fin?

BTW - Bradford - that brings back happy memories.  I went to Bradford Grammar School for a couple of years many, many decades ago.

David

Hi David

When were you at Bradford Grammar ?  I was there from 72-79 .  Wonder if our paths ever crossed

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:38 PM, Dave Fleming said:

The small tank ones could do this, IIRC it wasn't uncommon after maintenance for a short test flight. 

in five years service on the Lightning I've seen is happen on two or three occasions both on operational sqn's too. we onc3e sent our Tbird up with out a ventral. So not that common. In fact after major maintenance the Mk3 and T5 air test schedule was split in to two test flights part A was handling and systems checks inc inverted flight and part B was high speed run the reason for the split airtest was fuel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rs2man said:

Hi David

When were you at Bradford Grammar ?  I was there from 72-79 .  Wonder if our paths ever crossed

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I pre-date you John and was only there a couple of years - 1966-1968.  There may have been some teachers that we both knew, I'll PM you.

David

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, Scarlet said:

When I was at Binbrook (83-87) F3's/T5's without belly tanks were used for low level air to air combat training. They used Covenham Resevoir near Louth as their war zone and would be airborne for about 10 minutes! 

when I was at Binbrook (80-85) F3 were used for 1v1 air combat they started up, taxied, took off carried out the sortie, landed taxied back in. they pilot the did a "crewed in" OTR then when serviced out again to do the same all over again. You'd hardly get chance to get a brew. Wheels roll to wheels stop was 15 mins  10 min OTR then back up for 15 mins. So glad we only had 3 F3s. It was impressive watching them rolling round the sky trying to get an advantage.

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 3

I shan't keep posting it here but just wanted to let you all know I've started on this using an old 1/72 Airfix F1A.

Belly tank cut out and plastic tube used to fill the gap.  The upper piece of tube is just for support but, ironically, it looks a bit like two Avon compartments!

SANY0539.jpg

It looks pretty good in this pic but once the fuselage halves are joined there will need to be a lot of PSR on this.

SANY0546.jpg

David

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:45 PM, Wez said:

"Mate of mine was an ex-Lightning liney, he said the F.3's had enough fuel to scramble and then get back into the circuit, when used for Battle Flight they had to be met by a Victor orbiting off of Grimsby to fuel up or return to base"  

F3's were never on QRA ( only called battle flight in Germany) only F6's did QRA. Yes they met up with a tanker but that tanker was in the middle of the  north sea not off Grimsby. I've seen on a few Q scrambles  off and they were a good 5 hours minimum. I think you've taken your mate out of context. F3 used to practice 1v 1 air to air combat over Binbrook  and yes they weren't up long but you haver great fun sat watching them doing their stuff with a brew in your hand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweeky said:

F3's were never on QRA ( only called battle flight in Germany) only F6's did QRA. Yes they met up with a tanker but that tanker was in the middle of the  north sea not off Grimsby. I've seen on a few Q scrambles  off and they were a good 5 hours minimum. I think you've taken your mate out of context. F3 used to practice 1v 1 air to air combat over Binbrook  and yes they weren't up long but you haver great fun sat watching them doing their stuff with a brew in your hand. 

Only repeating what he said but then, he could've been exaggerating for effect - that sort of thing never happens in a crewroom does it?:hmmm:

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Wow- Lightnings without belly tanks! Let's see- Reheat on, release brakes, take off, reheat off, circle the field, look at the fuel state remaining, land immediately...does that about describe it?

Seriously, what a magnificent beast! I regret I never heard or saw one fly, but maybe the T5 that is being restored here in the Colonies will be at an airshow in the not so distant  future.

Mike

I found the link to the website of the T5 being restored to flight in Mississippi; sure do hope they can get her finished and back into the air soon. My friend, the late Group Captain Hans Neubroch, has this very same T5 in his logbook. BTW, if you do a search for his name, you will find details of a very interesting and varied RAF flying career. I wish I had saved all of his anecdotes- from pathfinder Mossies to Lightnings. He was kind enough to send me the pages from his logbook that showed all of his Lightning flights- plan to build an F6 and T5 that he flew, as a tribute to an amazing airman and true gentleman and class act. (Sorry for the sentimentality and possibly off-topic post!)

http://www.lightning422supporters.co.uk/

Edited by 72modeler
added link and details
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2017 at 03:32, 72modeler said:

Seriously, what a magnificent beast! I regret I never heard or saw one fly, but maybe the T5 that is being restored here in the Colonies will be at an airshow in the not so distant  future.

Mike

Mike

one of the few advantages of old age is recalling seeing airshows with four Lightnings trolling around the sky in formation etc.  See my avatar pic taken by me a long time ago at Leuchars or Prestick - I cant recall which now

John

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Mike

one of the few advantages of old age is recalling seeing airshows with four Lightnings trolling around the sky in formation etc.  See my avatar pic taken by me a long time ago at Leuchars or Prestick - I cant recall which now

John

Tell me about it, John! I still recall watching a Vulcan BMk 2 beating up Bergstrom AB, TX at an airshow back in the late 70's or early 80's...incredible that something that big could be thrown around like a fighter! Next to an SR-71, the noisiest and most amazing weenie cooker ever!

Mike

• Like 3