Meteor NF 14

woody123

Being a proud Geordie I am drawn to subjects which have a connection with Co.Durham and Northumberland. I'm currently nearing completion on an Xtrakit Meteor NF14. ModelDecal sheet with markings for 264 Squadron at Middleton St.George 1954-57 arrived this morning and the Squadron commander's aircraft is the one I'm going for.There is one thing I'm not too clear on,which I hope someone here can  throw light upon.That is:is the whole tail assembly painted black ,fin and upper +lower tailplane surfaces,or just the vertical fin areas?.

I've had a bad case of modeler's block for a couple of years but a couple of completed projects have got me motivated again,so I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer so the Meteor will be build 3 finished.Thanks in advance.

If the aircraft on the decal sheet is WS844 the complete tail assembly was painted black.

The CO's initials NP on the lower fin which was believed to be pale blue.

A Wing Commanders pennant was situated on each side of the nose and most aircraft had a Squadron badge on each side of the nose below the windscreen.

Info from Cold War Shield Vol1.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

Thanks camper1. WS844 is the subject of one of the  two illustrations on the decal shee for a 264 NF14,,although the two options for the CO's initials are HMT and JCF(1954 and 1957) both in yellow.Thanks for replying with the tail colour info so quickly I'll have a shufti around the internet to check the JCF marking as I plan to do a 33 Squadron Javelin which was the result of 264 being re-designated and re-equipped.

Hello Woody,

I just checked some of my Javelin references and it seems that FAW.7 XH835 carried initials "NP" (Nigel Poole) on the nose and a Wing Commander's pennant on the port side of the nose. Michael Napier's book "Javelin - An operational history" contains many photos of 33 Squadron's FAW.7s.

You can find some hints and tips on the Airfix Javelin kit in here:

Best Regards,

Antti

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2016 at 1:25 PM, Antti_K said:

Hello Woody,

I just checked some of my Javelin references and it seems that FAW.7 XH835 carried initials "NP" (Nigel Poole) on the nose and a Wing Commander's pennant on the port side of the nose. Michael Napier's book "Javelin - An operational history" contains many photos of 33 Squadron's FAW.7s.

You can find some hints and tips on the Airfix Javelin kit in here:

Best Regards,

Antti

Hi Antti_K.

Belated thanks for the Javelin info.Haven't been on Britmodeller since December so I've only just seen your post.

Woody