Fairey Swordfish. 1:72 Airfix

Fairey Swordfish Mk.1

1:72 Airfix

Every now and then I like to go into a mdel shop and just pick up something on a whim. The new tool Airfix kits, particularly the 1:72 kits, often appeal as the are small enough to be realtively quick builds while I am working on bigger projects, and also reasonably priced.

I've always liked the Swordfish, and it needs no introduction other than to say it is an 824 Sqn machine from the Taranto raid.  So here it is, a random choice bought and built just for the pure fun of it like when I was a kid!

swordfish3_zpsrilpesmb.jpg

swordfish4_zps5vgrhmff.jpg

swordfish2_zpsi40o7sh6.jpg

swordfish1_zpshecjud6v.jpg

swordfish5_zpssx0kml3w.jpg

swordfish6_zpscezkczip.jpg

swordfish7_zpsg01sfx5e.jpg

the kit comes with a torpedo handling trolley.

swordfish8_zpswrnyzkxr.jpg

And finally, a 'With something else' shot for comparison. A Tiggie, also 1:72 Airfix, which helps show how big the Swordfish was.

swordfish9_zps3t9s3ygu.jpg

swordfish10_zpslouxgbu9.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 74

You`ve done a wonderful job there John and the Tiggie is a little beauty too,......great stuff!

Cheers

Tony

PS- I like your rendition of Sky Grey.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Viking said:

And finally, a 'With something else' shot for comparison. A Tiggie, also 1:72 Airfix, which helps show how big the Swordfish was.

That's a real eye-opener!  I consider myself familiar with both types but had never comprehend the size difference.

Great to have it made apparent with two fine models!

• Like 1

Hello,John - My full compliments to you on both the Swordfish and the Tiger Moth.A great size comparison but both built and finished in your customary superb  style.I love them both.

Seasons Greetings to you. :santa: 👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thank yoiu for all the comments guys, it is much appreciated.

I should add that by 'fun' build I mean just buy a kit on spec, take it home and build it 'out of the box' as soon as possible. Use no aftermarket and pick one of the marking options that are provided. I.e don't get hung up on 'improvements' , just knock it out as the manufaturere intended.

Save all your deeper efforts for more serious builds!

23 hours ago, steve4536 said:

great stuff...the realism of the tyres are good..any tips?

Steve, I paint tyres Humbrol 67 Panzer grey, and when dry stick the wheels on a cocktail stick and rotate them in a fine airbrushed mist of Tamiya xf-57 Neutral grey. the idea is to get a contrast between the sidewalls and the 'tread' area.

22 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Absolute perfect ! Nice idea to compare the size with the Tigermoth!! May I ask what you took for rigging? 

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::)

Andy 

7 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Looks great, which approach to rigging did you take?

Rigging is done with Maxima Chameleon 2.5 lb fishing line, secured into blind holes in the bottom wing, and pulled tight throgh holes drilled right through the top wing. The top wing is only painted once the excess lines are trimmed off and any blemishes made good.

Thanks agian,

John

• Like 4

Great looking Swordfish, and as others have mentioned, I'm surprised at the largeness of it.

Must have something to do with being a bi-plane. The Tiggie looks very nice too,

Sean

Great result and philosophy.  A great thing about modelmaking is being able to compare aircraft side-by-side.  I parked a recently finished Halifax in the cabinet next to a Vildebeest... and it's interesting how close in size they are!  Guess you need a lot of wing to lift a torpedo with only 600-odd horsepower.