Humbrol 23 duck egg green?

sapperastro

I am just starting to paint my airfix Boomerang, and broke out a new tin of humbrol duck egg blue to represent the raaf sky blue underside. My old tin was very old, dating from the early 80s or before, and it was a very nice pale blue. The new tin (not exactly 'new' but about 10 or more years old) is a perfect representation of RAF Sky S! It paints wonderfully, but it isn't blue...perfect for RAF aircraft, in fact, better than 90 beige green, where it will now be relegated, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Can anyone confirm if the new, UK made humbrol 23 is actually pale blue? Or is it another Sky derivative?

If not, I guess I will be making another Colourcoats purchase.

Humbrol changed their 23 to match Duck Egg Blue/Sky some years ago.  I think it likely that those responsible never realised that their 23 was a fair match for another real colour, but merely assumed that their predecessors had got Duck Egg Blue wrong.  Which in a sense they had.  I do feel that this is linked to the way that Sky Blue had become something of a forgotten colour, and even nowadays there are those that argue against its use (outside of the RAAF, of course). 

Edited by Graham Boak

This shows how Humbrol shades have shifted about over the years, my tinlet of Hu65, bought maybe 10 years ago though heaven knows how long it had sat on the shelf, has a very distinct greenish tinge too it. Still slightly too blue to be used for RAF Sky but not a good match for any of my colour cards with RLM65 on them which it purports to be a match for. :( I normally mix in some Hu44 (Pastel Blue) & Hu34 White to give me a better match.

Steve

Pastel blue and white could be another contender. I think white with a little pastel blue added in might be the way to go. RAAF sky blue has no green at all, just a very pale light blue, so if 65 has any sort of greenish tinge, I will avoid it. I suppose I could also try white with a little normal humbrol 'blue'.

It makes you wonder why they changed duck egg blue when they already had 90 beige green. For those that have both a new 23 and a new 90, what are the differences between them? My 23 is slightly more pale than the 90 I have (which is also an older tin).

Also, when you google 'humbrol 23 duck egg blue' the pictures are all pale blue...

Edited by sapperastro

I weakened and ordered Colourcoats RAAF sky blue.

I have just thrown a coat on the Boomerang underside, and I am more than satisfied. The colour is perfect, and the coverage of the paint, ease of brushing and general usage was great.

Thanks to all who came in and gave advice and their opinions.