I am not a JU-88 expert ICM?

Otakar

Please; I am posting this on a"British" website because I think I might get a better answer than from a US website. And I don't speak German to go on one of theirs. OK I do know, because I have read that the ICM kit is immeasurably better than the Chinese DML kit. Now, what is the difference between the ICM, or actual for that matter, Ju-88A 4, 5, 14 from ICM. Visually, and also the time line of use and arena of use. I would like to build one of these early glass nose birds and would like to know what my markings options would be. I am not a builder of German aircraft but the Ju-88 is an attractive aircraft along with the FW-200. I also like the Ju-88S and C6 variants. Could I build the S with one of these kits and a set of the appropriate "S" Squadron canopies, which I already have. I bought those to use on the DML kit? Or will I have to use the DML/Monogram kit for this project? I do own a couple of the DML Ju-88C kits and also a Mistle/Fw-190 kit but no ICK kit yet and would like to determine which one to buy, if I am just to buy one.

Edited by Otakar

Well, the ICM Ju 88s post-date the Dragon kits by at least 20 years and Dragon kits of that era were not known for their great fit. That aside, the ICM is a modern CAD-designed kit with excellent detail. You probably want to use aftermarket decals though as ICM decals are renowned for shattering into a million pieces when you dip them in water. There are far too many aftermarket sheets available to list here, but a search of Hannants website should bring up something that interests you. If you want an early A-variant Ju 88 then ICM is definitely the way to go. The Wikipedia entry on the Ju 88 has a comprehensive listing of all the variants, including the information that the S was based on the A-4 airframe. I recommend cross-checking Wikipedia against other reliable references. It seems likely that ICM will issue other variants of this kit, though nothing has yet been announced.

Edited by VMA131Marine

The main thing I would have to figure out, if I was going to make an S out of the ICM, is how to marry the DML BMW engines onto the ICM kit. That would be sweeeeeeet if ICM came out with an S. I might just wait and see. I am in  no hurry. I have hundreds of kits in my stash.

1 hour ago, Otakar said:

The main thing I would have to figure out, if I was going to make an S out of the ICM, is how to marry the DML BMW engines onto the ICM kit. 

There's a bit more to it than that.  The Ju 88S also had a glazed nose with rounded, not flat, glass panels, and no gondola on the underside.  And that's just the major visual differences.

One option for the impatient is the old Hobbycraft Ju 88S, still the only one in 1/48 (unless there are conversions?).  It's long out of production but can still be found on-line.  For some reason, despite the ICM kits being generally better, the old Dragon kits still go for silly money.  So a possible way to a Ju 88S is to find a cheap ICM kit, which is fairly straightforward, and graft the necessary Hobbycraft bits onto it.  Although I'd expect the Dragon engines to be better, it's a lot to pay for just those parts and no help for the fuselage.

I have the Squadron clear-cac nose and canopy set for the S. As mentioned in the first post. Normally I don't build anything unless I can put either, USMC, Czech or British markings on it. This means I can build a few German aircraft used by the Czechs after the war. IE, He-219, He-111 Me-262, Me-109K, Bf-108, Fw-190 and maybe one or two more. There is one interesting scheme of the Fw-190A in US Navy colors though.

Edited by Otakar

It was intended for the DML kit. Since I do not own an ICM kit I can't compare the two. If in fact the S was based on the A-4 than I would not be surprised if ICM makes one in the future. It in that case would require new clear parts and BMW engines. I would not be surprised to see a whole line of Ju-88ts that are based on the early airframe.

While I've yet to build an ICM Ju-88, I bought one as soon as they became available. I also have about 8 of the Dragon-tooled Ju-88s in various versions.

I was hoping the ICM kit would be a lot better than it's actually turned out to be. It may be a lot easier to build than the Dragon, in soem respects it has improved detail. But it's not made the earlier kit redundant as I had hoped. Rather than go over old ground, the major issues are detailed in this thread.

There's nothing which can't be fixed, but it's not a state-of-the-art replacement for the Dragon. Given that the Dragon kit is available with the BMW engines straght from the box, it would be a more logical starting point for a Ju-88S conversion.

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

I tend to agree at this point. Since there is plenty of time before I would want to build the S, I will wait a bit before I will do anything. The C6 is the first that I would like to build. I just took a look at my Ju-88 collection and I have from DML 1x A4 (Monogram ProM) 2x C6 day fighter, 1x C6 Night fighter and 1x G1/ Mistle. So at this time I am in no hurry to buy anything since the fidelity to scale between the ICM and DML seams to be almost the same. They each seam to have their issues. I don't mind a kit which is a bit more difficult to build. The G1 was the one I was going to use for the S conversion due to its BMW engine nacelles. It also appears that they all come with the same nose parts so It may be possible to build different variants from each kit. Only the night fighter comes with the antennas though but I have the OWL set anyway. because I want to build the late version with the larger longer wavelength FuG 220 antennas. Not the small complex antennas provided in the kit.

Edited by Otakar

Since I am not a guy who values interior detail as much as others do, I will, at this time just stick with the DML kits which I already have in my stash. If there are new variants which I would be interested in, such as the S, than I will buy one of those.

On 17/12/2016 at 11:45 PM, Spitfire addict said:

This may be a little off topic but since we are talking ICM, what is the consensus on the Do 17 kits?

The glaring problem is the treatment of the tail flying surfaces. There's no representation of the mechanism for adjusting the incidence of the entire tailplane, while the movable surfaces are too narrow, they should extend inboard closer to the fuselage.

I'm not aware of any other big issues, but I've yet to do any serious research towards building one. 

Cheers,

Bill.

Are the fuselage cross-sectional shapes OK on both the ICM and DML? On the old Hobby Craft and AMT kits, the cross-sections were completely wrong. While it was way too oval on the AMT it was WAY too square on the Hobby Craft.