K2 Tanker conversion for Airfix Victor B2?

Whitewolf

On 12/19/2016 at 5:26 PM, xvtonker said:

They still have them, but I won't pay £6.00 P&P on top!!!

XVTonker  :pilot:

please set up a courier service that is cheaper and i'll use you.....won't use jiffy bags / royal mail as others do......to much damage / losses.....guess who pays for them in the end....you the consumer.....not rocket science is it?

• Like 1

On 22 December 2016 at 11:32 PM, stever219 said:

Thanks Spad: I hadn't previously seen that image.  It shows off the weapons bay air deflector petals well, some scratch building required there if you want to replace the kit parts and can't wait for Eduard to do their thing.

I assume that's an air show shot; landing configuration and weapons bay doors open?  The other thing it shows is the black sealing gasket (for want of a better word) between the unde wing tank and the wing.  I believe that at one point there were sealing strips on either the leading edges of the flaps or the trailing edge of the flap shrouds to minimise gaps when the flaps were retracted, but I don't know if the jets kept hem 'til the end of their service lives.  

Is that a drain mast to the left of the tail bumper?  I don't think that it's in the kit.

I might be totally wrong (often am) but the SR2 when fitted with its camera crate had the weapons bay doors permanently open, so not an airshow configuration?

• Like 1

Spad's photo also shows the landing light outboard of the port main wheel well which, inexplicably, Airfix have only depicted as an engraved circle after having gone to the trouble of providing clear wing tips to make installing the navigation lights easier.  The landing lights are hinged at the front to swing downwards when selected "ON" (as were the Vulcan's) and can relatively easily be replicated in the stowed position by drilling out, backing with aluminium foil and then glazing with Kristal Klear, Clearfix, clear plastic sheet or your own preferred material.

31 minutes ago, GordonM said:

I might be totally wrong (often am) but the SR2 when fitted with its camera crate had the weapons bay doors permanently open, so not an airshow configuration?

No chance!:unsure:  Too much buffet, drag, noise and risk of getting all sorts of crud over the lenses.  

In the Canberra and Valiant the lenses were covered by discrete sliding doors until just before the run over the target; I rather suspect that he Victor installation was the lowest-cost solution ("Just open the bomb doors Hoskins, rather than cutting lots of holes in them and fitting lots of individually-driven doors and optically-flat heated windows and all the gibbons that goes with them!").

there are a couple of lovely photos of an SR. 2 at altitude with the doors open, but I suspect that they were taken for publicity purposes.  The angle of bank on the Victor in at least one of them suggests that the aeroplane wasn't engaged in its own photographic activities at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GordonM said:

It's one of a few shots of XL161 taken at Biggin Hill air show, 1971.

Steve is right, and there are many shots of SR.2s with doors fitted and closed.

12 hours ago, Ian @ KitsforCash said:

please set up a courier service that is cheaper and i'll use you.....won't use jiffy bags / royal mail as others do......to much damage / losses.....guess who pays for them in the end....you the consumer.....not rocket science is it?

I run my own company and always use Royal Mail. Costs are a lot cheaper than many couriers, and their insured postage is better than most. More importantly I've never had any problems.

XVTonker

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 5:26 PM, xvtonker said:

They still have them, but I won't pay £6.00 P&P on top!!!

XVTonker  :pilot:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...