1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Nick C

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated.

Nearly finished now.

Bow railings and torpedo net shelf from the WEM kit. It's not designed for this kit so a bit tricky to get it it to fit (aft ones tricky as well) but it looks ok;

Stanchions in 0.16 stainless wire also fitted to the railings adjacent to the foredeck ladders. 

38082821346_2c70ab41fb_c.jpg 

and the after shelves and rails;

26361151339_b747f82a44_h.jpg

Added the stanchions on top of the turrets next to the roof access hatches, again in 0.16 stainless wire;

26361151569_a045dfc282_c.jpg

And finally fitted the turrets :smile:

38082821186_b75c2fe4c1_h.jpg

Couple of general views;

26361150819_0c84d38a0e_h.jpg

38105806012_85d431d106_c.jpg

She looks quite menacing;

38082821066_bddd8d7932_z.jpg

Cage aerials, stern lifefloats, torpedo nets and some more weathering and she'll be about done, then on with the dockyard.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 17

Absolutely beautiful Nick, I just wish I had as good a pair of hands as you, I do have the Dreadnought to build, however, I have a very strange feeling that the only thing your beautiful Dreadnought and my Kit will have in common will be, the wooden deck, however, I do like your main turret and secondary armament colouring, as a new comer to this site, do you mind me asking what the colour you used

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Papa4ways said:

Absolutely beautiful Nick, I just wish I had as good a pair of hands as you, I do have the Dreadnought to build, however, I have a very strange feeling that the only thing your beautiful Dreadnought and my Kit will have in common will be, the wooden deck, however, I do like your main turret and secondary armament colouring, as a new comer to this site, do you mind me asking what the colour you used

Hi Papa, thanks for the comment, I'm sure your Dreadnought'll be fine!

Colours are Tamiya, XF-54 dark sea grey for the hull and bulkheads, turret side, secondary guns etc.(the paint guide shows XF-50 which definitely isn't right).  XF-63 german grey for the steel decks and turret roofs. The paint plan doesn't show the turret tops in a different colour but the Kagero 3D ships dos and it adds interest.

I also used XF-79, linoleum deck brown for the admirals walk.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nick   

4 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

Hi Papa, thanks for the comment, I'm sure your Dreadnought'll be fine!

Colours are Tamiya, XF-54 dark sea grey for the hull and bulkheads, turret side, secondary guns etc.(the paint guide shows XF-50 which definitely isn't right).  XF-63 german grey for the steel decks and turret roofs. The paint plan doesn't show the turret tops in a different colour but the Kagero 3D ships dos and it adds interest.

I also used XF-79, linoleum deck brown for the admirals walk.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nick   

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for your reply, and thank you for the paint guide, it really is appreciated, the one saving grace about my Dreadnought is, the Gentleman I purchased it from on ebay, was so kind, he accepted my offer, which was below his asking price, he even gave me a wooden deck for the Ship, and, if only I could show you the plans for the Dreadnought he gave me, outstanding, (I'll try and take a photo of them) but these are not what you would call build plans, they are almost like blueprint drawings, absolutely beautiful, he also sent me a magazine book all about the Dreadnought, now if only I can do his faith in me some justice, but again, thank you for answering me, and for the paint guide 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nick, do you remember what colour you've used for bottom of the hull? 

Hi Kris, hull paint is tamiya xf-9 hull red mixed 5/1 with xf-7 signal red.

I always add a bit of red as the 'Hull red' straight out of the pot looks a bit brown to me - pure personal preference tho!

Cheers

Nick

18 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

the paint guide shows XF-50 which definitely isn't right

Cheers

Nick   

Hi Nick,

Depending on time frame, it would be fairly appropriate. From 5th August 1902 through to 18th November 1914 the standard shade used on all RN capital ships was Dark Grey. This was infact a very dark grey. Most modellers just copy each other and excessively light shades a.) because someone didn't know/ didn't care / just preferred how it looked then b.) because the next guy had this image of the first anchored in his mind as his idea of "right".

From 19th August 1914 through to 7th July 1916 the shade used was simply called "Grey". This too was dark, just a bit lighter than the pre-war "Dark Grey". After Jutland the colour was changed to "Light Grey", with the word "Light" being relative; the colour lightened to about the tone of what we now know as Dark Sea Grey or thereabouts.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=154630

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Nick,

Depending on time frame, it would be fairly appropriate. From 5th August 1902 through to 18th November 1914 the standard shade used on all RN capital ships was Dark Grey. This was infact a very dark grey. Most modellers just copy each other and excessively light shades a.) because someone didn't know/ didn't care / just preferred how it looked then b.) because the next guy had this image of the first anchored in his mind as his idea of "right".

From 19th August 1914 through to 7th July 1916 the shade used was simply called "Grey". This too was dark, just a bit lighter than the pre-war "Dark Grey". After Jutland the colour was changed to "Light Grey", with the word "Light" being relative; the colour lightened to about the tone of what we now know as Dark Sea Grey or thereabouts.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=154630

Hi Jamie, thanks for the info, very interesting.

I must admit my statement that XF-50 is wrong is an assumption on my part, mainly because when I've used it before it's a got a dark blue/green hint to it (title on the pot is Field Blue), whereas the paint chart calls for H333 which is listed as extra dark sea grey - which is why I assumed the XF-50 was a typo and went for the tamiya dark sea grey.

Looks like my dreadnought may be a bit light based on the charts your link goes to but I'm happy enough with it.

Cheers

Nick 

1 hour ago, Nick Charnock said:

Hi Jamie, thanks for the info, very interesting.

I must admit my statement that XF-50 is wrong is an assumption on my part, mainly because when I've used it before it's a got a dark blue/green hint to it (title on the pot is Field Blue), whereas the paint chart calls for H333 which is listed as extra dark sea grey - which is why I assumed the XF-50 was a typo and went for the tamiya dark sea grey.

Looks like my dreadnought may be a bit light based on the charts your link goes to but I'm happy enough with it.

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick,

I think there's a certain amount of artistic license allowed. There's no denying that the pre-war greys fairly "kill" the model. I think yours is pitched very well for the record. It captures an appropriate feel and character.

You're right about XF-50 insomuch as the greys used at this time were neutral greys made only of black and white, as you will have seen by now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Nick,

I think there's a certain amount of artistic license allowed. There's no denying that the pre-war greys fairly "kill" the model. I think yours is pitched very well for the record. It captures an appropriate feel and character.

You're right about XF-50 insomuch as the greys used at this time were neutral greys made only of black and white, as you will have seen by now.

Cheers Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Cage aerials, what can I say about cage aerials...................:rage:

The WEM PE is great but they still take forever.

If it helps anyone doing these, I tried about 4 different ways including making jigs and using 0.06 SS wire but ended up with Caenis 20 denier thread. Thread 16 cages onto one line, support the line between 2 pots and then thread the rest of the lines. First time I tried to secure one cage to the lines with superglue to give a fixed start point but the tension didn't work out so in the end I threaded everything 'loose', tensioned all the lines, lined the cages up and then glued them in place with diluted PVA;

39008533631_ea573aef67_h.jpg  

When glued, thread all the lines through a single 0.3 PE loop (North Star rigging eye) at each end and slide the loop up to form the cone at the ends;

The mid point where the lines all join together was pulled in by looping a piece of Caenis round all the lines, slowing pulling it tight and knotting it, the ends can then be used to support the middle of the aerial from the foremast yard.

25138318538_d570d0b302_h.jpg

And fitted they look ok. Still need the black paint touching up and the aerials from the transmitter on the aft upper deck rigging to the cages;

38122060945_94e23e36b5_c.jpg

The anti-torpedo net ended up being lengths of picture hanging wire. Tried wrapping ladies tights around various wires to simulate rolled nets but couldn't get anything consistent;

39008535271_0778cacbdf_b.jpg

And they got a wash of raw umber oils to simulate rust;

24145363347_c31f0ddcf9_c.jpg

Added another missing boom, this time from the aft end, which is rigged to the mainmast;

38122417855_d9d53db90e_c.jpg

27231677339_530bdd8a9c_c.jpg

Added the lifebouys (they need a bit of toning down);

25138316558_fb94a063e9_c.jpg

Some weathering mainly round the bow, and then some greenery with oils (thanks Michael M for the tip);

25138319838_4eae1066c4_c.jpg

24145364887_4e267f972f_c.jpg

27231678499_e1547cd807_c.jpg

Hopefully the final coat of matt varnish'll will take the shine off the oil.

Couple of general progress shots, not much left to do;

25138317598_332605852f_z.jpg

24144921757_67ffd377c4_c.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Nick Charnock
Typo
  • Like 12