Blackburn Buccaneer STGB Chat

Col.

8 hours ago, Col. said:

No chance you can use the decal as a pattern to cut masks Cliff?

Looking closely at the decals Col, I can now see that the codes are not actually printed in the same colour as the white parts on the roundels.  The whites on the sheet are a little creamy (as some Tamiya/Hasegawa can be), and I thought that was what I was seeing with the codes.  However I now think they me actually be a slightly creamy pale blue!  So I'll be cracking on with the kit decals and seeing what they look like when they're on. 

P1110530.JPG

Cheers

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

However I now think they me actually be a slightly creamy pale blue!

Thinking out loud, but are there any spares you could use for a test beforehand? Slap some EDSG on a paint mule/scrap plastic and then use a spare 'blue' decal to see if it is actually blue perhaps?

Mark.

3 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Thinking out loud, but are there any spares you could use for a test beforehand? Slap some EDSG on a paint mule/scrap plastic and then use a spare 'blue' decal to see if it is actually blue perhaps?

Mark.

No spares unfortunately Mark.  I will however scan the sheet before I use it. 

If necessary, I can then change the colour of the codes in Photoshop and reprint them on my inkjet.  The pale blue colour should then work OK over the previously applied 'white' kit decals.  That's the plan, anyway!

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's the plan, anyway!

And a pretty decent plan if I may say so! For what it's worth, every single sheet I have from Xtradecal (old original FAA sheet from way back), Model Alliance, Model Art, Freightdog and Modeldecal has a slightly different representation of the pale blue colour. I've yet to find the actual spec from a primary source, but strongly suspect it to be the same blue from the anti-flash schemes.

Mark.

• Like 2

Hi,

When this GB was announced I decided I would build my old Airfix 2nd mould Bucc and my later Matchbox one, having purchased a couple of Freightdog nose, tail and pitot tube sets a while ago - one early version and one later. Then of course Airfix announced their new mould, which I bought, so that was going to be built OOB, and I was thinking of cross kitting the other two to make an RAF one, using the Matchbox intakes and main u/c legs as per a conversion in a 20 year old Scale Aircraft Modelling International mag.

Needless to say, things have not gone as planned. First there are too many GB overlapping and I have over-extended myself slightly. but all should have been well had I not knackered my right knee. The combination of the discomfort from that and the recent hot and humid weather have meant that I have problems sleeping and find it difficult to stay awake long enough to get my various other builds done. Add to that the fact that my other half has started re-decorating my workroom - well she has waited 6 months so I can't really complain - and things have become complicated. I should still be able to do the conversion build which I will start as soon as I can , but I have a Spitfire and Seafire to finish first before July 12th! I also have 3 builds on the go in the "kit you built as a kid" and the Battle of Britain GB is looming on the horizon - I was hoping to do at least 4 builds in that, possibly 7 - must be mad!

Time will tell.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Above all else this is a hobby in which we should be able to relax and find refuge from the stresses of life @PeterB so if this GB happens to be one you miss so be it :) The GBs are getting busier and with lots of great options to take part in to the point it can get quite confusing sometimes due to the sheer variety :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about anybody else, but I seem to be suffering lockdown fatigue or something. Together with the combination of my health and my wife having the urge to decorate, my modelling has slowed down to a crawl. I had been looking forward to this GB since last year, but I think that under the present circumstances it would be " a kit too far" so I will just have to make do with watching all the excellent builds. Pity, but I really don't want to have to rush the build, so better not to make a start until later in the year - there is always the KUTA!

Good luck to you all.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Don't know about anybody else, but I seem to be suffering lockdown fatigue or something. Together with the combination of my health and my wife having the urge to decorate, my modelling has slowed down to a crawl. I had been looking forward to this GB since last year, but I think that under the present circumstances it would be " a kit too far" so I will just have to make do with watching all the excellent builds. Pity, but I really don't want to have to rush the build, so better not to make a start until later in the year - there is always the KUTA!

Good luck to you all.

Pete

Sorry to hear that Pete but can understand why you're not keen to crack open another kit in the given circumstances.

Thanks Col,

Pity as this is a great GB you have launched. In the Spit GB somebody has just almost finished a kit in 3 days which so far has taken me since early May so you can see that my progress is pretty slow at the moment, though in fairness I have completed or almost completed over a dozen kits since the start of the year - guess I am trying to do too many due to boredom, having been in lockdown since March. At least we completed decorating my study today, though it will take at least a week to get everything back in place (and repaired where required). On the plus side we found most of the missing bits together with one kit I had forgotten I had built!

All the best.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m correct in thinking we have until 23:59 hours (BST) on 16/08/20 to post completed builds? I’m finished but was waiting until later today to get photos!

Cancel just seen the text in the gallery, it is indeed 23:59 hours, phew!

• Like 1

Wow, what a great amount of finished Buccs in the gallery!

Really impressive!

Congrats to all finishers!

Mine will still need the one ir other week though, but I am confident!

Thanks for all the help and motivation!

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Well done to everyone who took part in the GB and making it a great event again. Please excuse my absence for the previous couple of weeks but life has been getting in the way somewhat and leaving me with no free time. We'll get the poll sorted and ready for voting on the finished projects but in the meantime thanks again for making this a fun STGB gang :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse the delay gang but the poll has been added at last that will allow you all a couple of weeks to vote for your favourite Bucc model from the gallery selection. Although with so many great models on display I can only wish you luck in narrowing your choice down to one in particular :lol: 

• Like 2