1:72 Monogram Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat

Magnificent model of a beautiful aeroplane.

Looks-wise it's the opposite of the Jaguar, whose designers clearly didn't believe in the saying 'if it looks right, it flies right', which is appropriate since by all accounts it didn't fly right. Which kit is the Jaguar? Is this the Planet Models kit?

• Like 1

You keep pouding masterpieces, Bill! :clap: Very interesting WIP thread, also because I learned something about an aircraft which was almost unknown to me before. The result is outstanding and all those little added details and  the exposed engines make her look like if it's in a much bigger scale :worthy:

Ciao

Edit: damn spell checker!

Edited by giemme
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 01:04, zebra said:

Looks-wise it's the opposite of the Jaguar, whose designers clearly didn't believe in the saying 'if it looks right, it flies right', which is appropriate since by all accounts it didn't fly right. Which kit is the Jaguar? Is this the Planet Models kit?

Yes indeed, that's the Planet Models kit. RFI thread is here, included within is a link to the WIP. Not a bad kit, I like the way it came out. It's not entirely accurate (the nose is too long, the canopy too large, and the aft fuselage not wide enough), but I think it's better shape-wise than the Anigrand kit. The canopy is the most noticeable error.

On 12/17/2016 at 04:56, polo1112 said:

I particularly love the details and the pristine finish.

Thanks. For some reason, I like Dark Sea Blue models to be pristine. The Tigercat was known for leaving some light grey exhaust residue on the top of the wing and the sides of the nacelles, but I elected not to add that. I have a lot of photos that show clean airframes, so I took the lazy man's way out!  Maybe if I can get my hands on the Pavla F7F-3N kit, I can make a black Korean War bird that's a bit worse for wear.   :) 

On 12/17/2016 at 09:36, SoftScience said:

I'm also glad you suffered with it, because now it means we'll finally get a new tooling :)

That's probably true, it's happened to me before. Right after I finished my EE Lightning kitbash, Airfix came out with their new 1:72 kit. Just my luck! AZ Models keep hinting that they're going to release a new Tigercat, but it might just be the Pavla tooling cleaned up. But maybe not...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I can never decide what to build next...

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

the F7F was originally supposed to be called the Tomcat. At the time, the US Navy brass rejected the name because it promoted "female promiscuity."

That's really nice work, looks so impressive with the nacelles opened up to show the engines.  I'd be impressed if it was 48th, but particularly being 72nd.  Getting your fingers in there to do that work must have been challenging.

Now as far as "female promiscuity" let's hear it for that.  Isn't that what keeps morale going in the Navy between the hardtack and the floggings?

Edited by Niles
  • Like 1