It's a Tiger, but is it Grrrreat?? Hasegawa 1/72 Tiger I E 'Late'

Phil Lewis

Thanks for the positive comments all.

A small update on the base.

I went a bit mad and assembled the Kubewagen and decided on a scene where it had gone off the road and embedded itself into a stream/river bed.

I'd painted and weathered the barrels too and added a raised road bed on a piece of mdf with a layer of polystyrene packing which I then shaped and coated with Vallejo Dark earth paste.

Cut the lower half off the front right wheel to simulate it being embedded in the stream bed and added coarse paint brush bristles painted green to look like reeds.

Kitty litter for stones on the stream bed and then sealed the deges of the stream area to enable me to pour the AK transparent water gel thinned with some murky water I'd been cleaning my brushes in.

This is the result so far looking more like it's in a snow bank. I really hope it sets clear :pray:

Hasegawa72_TigerIausfEWIP-16-12-16basic1

That's it for tonight.

Thanks for looking, I'm off to melt in bed :boom:

Phil the hot and bothered

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Kris B said:

I am curious how it's gonna be looking when set. 

Two days later and not looking too promising. :waiting:

Definitely made it too thick. The instructions suggest 3mm layers, not one enormous 10mm pour :dunce:.

It does look like it's starting to clear now so I'll give it some time and if it goes fully clear I'll then build up the surface with thin layers to get it to where I want it... hopefully<_<

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments

Phil the impatient.:hobbyhorse:

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a fair old wait but compared to 26th June...

and yesterday...

we're almost ready for me to start building the water effects back up, a small layer at a time.

Sorry it's not much of an update but I'll post more when I've made some real progress.

Thanks for looking in.

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Sorry I haven't been posting for a while but I've had variable health for some time and after I started getting the PB warnings I got somewhat disheartened.

I can still see my pictures but I'm not sure if anyone else can.

If someone could respond and let me know if they can see my current and past pics or if I need to re-do all my posts.

I'd also appreciate a little advice on which is the best alternative to ChumBucket.

I have plenty of pics, including updates for this build and new builds to post up but I'm not sure who to go with.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil the befuddled :undecided:

• Like 1

Nice to see you back Phil. :thumbsup:

I can see your pics on this thread. Mine were wiped out so I transferred everything to Flickr. It's a lot better than PB in general but I had a right old hoo harr downloading everything from PB.  Nice water on that diorama by the way. 

John.

• Like 1

I can see the pics, very nice too. I also use Flickr for what it's worth, mainly for the 1TB allowance and the opportunity to select from a range of resolutions to post to the forum, depending on requirements.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice to see you back Phil. :thumbsup:

I can see your pics on this thread. Mine were wiped out so I transferred everything to Flickr. It's a lot better than PB in general but I had a right old hoo harr downloading everything from PB.  Nice water on that diorama by the way. 

John.

Thanks John, and thanks for confirming they are still visible.

Maybe that's because I haven't tried to post any further pictures:hmmm:

I had a look at Flickr and was not happy with their data policy as I'm not keen on my information being shared with anyone who happens to be in their Oath group.

Unless someone on here can convince me that I'm just being paranoid and my concerns are unfounded...

Edited by Phil Lewis
addition
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Thanks John, and thanks for confirming they are still visible.

Maybe that's because I haven't tried to post any further pictures:hmmm:

I had a look at Flickr and was not happy with their data policy as I'm not keen on my information being shared with anyone who happens to be in their Oath group.

Unless someone on here can convince me that I'm just being paranoid and my concerns are unfounded...

I'm sure it's fine. It's only pictures of plastic models and the occasional dog/ lunch /beer  pic. Let em fill their boots. It's a small price to pay for a decent service. :guitar:

Ok, bit the bullet.

This is my first try with Flickr

The build is all but complete and just needs a bit of finishing on the base to make the Tiger 'sit' properly on the road and make the board it's on a little more presentable.

37184468196_f8afae1251_c.jpg

You might see some paint flake on the standing figure. He's vinyl. need I say more?

36976645330_82c9a4aa7d_c.jpg

And I'm rather pleased with the water effect even if it did take the thick end of a month or two to finish layering.

37374055645_23ef6ba70c_c.jpg

36976645570_92b48b3221_c.jpg

36521774864_f22d813a93_c.jpg

Once it's completed to my satisfaction I'll take some good pics and post an RFI (I always say that but this time I promise to at least try) :christmas:

Thanks for looking in

Phil the returned :blink:

Edited by Phil Lewis
Removing spurious links
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Stone me that's turned out rather well!  :clap2:

Maybe bed the Tiger in a bit more and use the Hasegawa bands to crate deep track impressions in the road surface?  They were some chunky fellas those Tigers.  ;)

Thanks Andy

Yes I was looking at how it was sitting up on the road in an unrealistic fashion and thinking that's the way to go.

Good suggestion on the original tracks. I'll slap down some mud and press the vinyl tracks in up to and including where the tank will sit.

Should get a good squeeze out either side. Give the Tiger a bit of mass effect :)

• Like 1

Hey Phil, I've come across the aisle from the aircraft subforums to compliment you on the amazing detail job you've done here. I even learned a few things along the way... You armor guys are definitely a breed apart! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...