Ferguson petit gris

Hewy

Just now, Roy vd M. said:

I assume you mean glow plugs, unless this isn't a Diesel engine. Anyway your weathering looks very convincing from where I'm sitting.

No it was a petrol engine, i must admit i know very little about these tractors but apparently ferguson did diesel and petrol variants, this heller model is the petrol version.

Cheers merry Christmas 

Glynn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

No it was a petrol engine, i must admit i know very little about these tractors but apparently ferguson did diesel and petrol variants, this heller model is the petrol version.

Cheers merry Christmas 

Glynn

Not exactly a diesel engine. It was TVO [Tractor Vaporising Oil]. The Fergie was started on petrol then it was switched to run on the TVO, Thus only spark plugs, not glow plugs.

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Not exactly a diesel engine. It was TVO [Tractor Vaporising Oil]. The Fergie was started on petrol then it was switched to run on the TVO, Thus only spark plugs, not glow plugs.

Was the perkins diesel engine fitted as a modification to these tractors or is this the one you refer to with the tvo ,

Thanks  ,glynn

6 hours ago, Richard E said:

Or as we say in my parts: "Ged orfff my land!"

It's certainly starting to look like a very hard working little Fergie.

Thanks richard,I'll try not to go too over the top on the body work,there's some examples on the net with lovely patinas, 

Thanks,glynn

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Was the perkins diesel engine fitted as a modification to these tractors or is this the one you refer to with the tvo ,

Thanks  ,glynn

Any ordinary diesel engine was fitted as a mod.

The Fergies came in just petrol [not common] only or TVO [very common version]

Diesel needs high compression to run; about 22-1, the TVO engine compression was about 4.5 to 1 and petrol version was 5.5 to 1

Can I add this about the grey paint shade on Fergies;

Use any grey which was used by the Royal Navy or RAF during WW2.
I have in the past spoken to the man who was a head manager in the Ferguson factory and he informed me that they used whatever grey paint they could buy cheap, all war surplus, from RN and RAF stocks. Every and any shade of grey was used, sometimes even different shades on each side of a Fergie

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Any ordinary diesel engine was fitted as a mod.

The Fergies came in just petrol [not common] only or TVO [very common version]

Diesel needs high compression to run; about 22-1, the TVO engine compression was about 4.5 to 1 and petrol version was 5.5 to 1

Can I add this about the grey paint shade on Fergies;

Use any grey which was used by the Royal Navy or RAF during WW2.
I have in the past spoken to the man who was a head manager in the Ferguson factory and he informed me that they used whatever grey paint they could buy cheap, all war surplus, from RN and RAF stocks. Every and any shade of grey was used, sometimes even different shades on each side of a Fergie

The grey paint information is a pearler thanks for that , the idea about painting it red will now be cast off , i had seen and wondered why there were different shades of greys on the ones i have looked at on the net ,thanks again 

Glynn

13 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

I do like it very much..I agree with Roy, your weathering is very convincing, and it's not an easy job at this scale.

I'll follow your nice buid :)

Very kind ,thanks ,i haven't  weathered anything to this degree before, the subject is rather odd and not everyones cup of tea but there are numerous examples that have been well used and weathered on the net,so hopefully i can pull the rest of this off

Glynn

Got a little done ,past couple of days inbetween enjoying christmas and feeling a bit rough, self inflicted i might add,,,anyway nearly completed the wiring and added the dash board,exaust and air filter ,still got to put the decals on th dials, fitted the rear inner hubs and test fitted the hood to makesure the dash is aligned properly,starting to take shape a bit now,,thanks 

Glynn

20161229_103408_zpsajij3hpv.jpg

20161229_103227_zpsm4zwwryd.jpg

20161229_103507_zpsz64szww3.jpg

20161229_103421_zpsdsgzgioz.jpg

20161229_103636_zpsyfzqivwj.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Maximum warp said:

Looks very convincing! I guess your next challenge is to try to ding up the hood and do a rusty finish?

It is ,but I'm going to try not to go over board...too much thanks 

Glynn

This is looking fantastic so far. My first "real" job was at a garage and the owner had an old tractor (too young and daft to be interested in what it was), but it may have been one of these or something of a similar age. I remember it starting up on petrol and then being switched over to paraffin once it had warmed up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigred407 said:

This is looking fantastic so far. My first "real" job was at a garage and the owner had an old tractor (too young and daft to be interested in what it was), but it may have been one of these or something of a similar age. I remember it starting up on petrol and then being switched over to paraffin once it had warmed up.

Apparently I've heard that when petrol went up to 2s and sixpence a gallon ,there was a bit of shall we say discontent,and a conversion was available now i dont know the quantities, but you started it up on petrol, and i think the other part of the tank had a petrol -heating oil-or paraffin mix,this cheered up the old farmers and they saved a few bob ..

52 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Apparently I've heard that when petrol went up to 2s and sixpence a gallon ,there was a bit of shall we say discontent,and a conversion was available now i dont know the quantities, but you started it up on petrol, and i think the other part of the tank had a petrol -heating oil-or paraffin mix,this cheered up the old farmers and they saved a few bob ..

Many Fergusons left the factory already able to use petrol/TVO , but as you point out a conversion was available for older petrol only models , the kit included a small tank to hold the petrol for starting , modified pipework, a conversion for the carburetor, and usually an extra head gasket ,{ two were fitted to reduce the compression ratio }. 

The tractors were also available from the factory fitted with a four cylinder Standard diesel engine, similar to that fitted in London Taxis. Some tractors had the petrol engine removed in service and replaced with a Perkins P3 three cylinder diesel , which proved very successful.

Andrew

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

Many Fergusons left the factory already able to use petrol/TVO , but as you point out a conversion was available for older petrol only models , the kit included a small tank to hold the petrol for starting , modified pipework, a conversion for the carburetor, and usually an extra head gasket ,{ two were fitted to reduce the compression ratio }. 

The tractors were also available from the factory fitted with a four cylinder Standard diesel engine, similar to that fitted in London Taxis. Some tractors had the petrol engine removed in service and replaced with a Perkins P3 three cylinder diesel , which proved very successful.

Andrew

Andrew,thats the beauty of forums such as this ,i knew not a jot about ferguson tractors or any other for that matter,till i started this little kit, ive learnt something everyday, and your snippet is a bit more,thanks

Glynn

Just had a go at the hood and wheels, bear in mind all of this is subject to change after ive slept on it and had another gander in the morning, but straight from the paint shop and pre weather and touch ups... better  clean up now..

20161229_174636_zps9iwv4ktj.jpg

20161229_174716_zps6j3uyz4x.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Billydick said:

Great build ... so far so good Glynn :)

BIllyD

Thanks fingers crossed, it's about now things start to go south, no offence to any body on the other side of the equator.. 

Glynn

😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, caterhamnut said:

That looks great - I also want to get this to try some weathering...the F1 cars are too clean!

Thanks, that's why I chose to do this cracking little kit. To experiment. haven't done any thing even remotely like this before,  But I chose to do it on my first wip thread, so I'm still feeling my way a bit,  but loving every step.. I also love f1, cheers 

Glynn

• Like 1

Another interesting titbit about this kit, the Ferguson TE20 tractor was the arguably the first ever Airfix model kit.

Harry Ferguson comissioned Airfix in 1949 to produce kits of the tractor to send to sales reps, before that Airfix only made combs and rubber toys, so it could be said he invented the plastic model kit.  If it wasn't for Harry, this website wouldn't exist!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hovis said:

Another interesting titbit about this kit, the Ferguson TE20 tractor was the arguably the first ever Airfix model kit.

Harry Ferguson comissioned Airfix in 1949 to produce kits of the tractor to send to sales reps, before that Airfix only made combs and rubber toys, so it could be said he invented the plastic model kit.  If it wasn't for Harry, this website wouldn't exist!!

And ,another, love it thanks hovis. Appreciate this 

Glynn

• Like 1

Love the patina on that engine etc! I've got one of these and am having trouble fitting the front stub-axle carriers to the cross-beam. Have you cut yours down to make them fit?

Cheers,

Steve

20 minutes ago, stevecombeboy said:

Love the patina on that engine etc! I've got one of these and am having trouble fitting the front stub-axle carriers to the cross-beam. Have you cut yours down to make them fit?

Cheers,

Steve

Yes i have, i thought that was me and had made a mistake ,but theres no way you can get the two bolts ,front and back to align, it seems if you try those torsion bars that attach from the axle rub on the gear box, in hind sight you mfaybe just have to accept the bolts don't line up and go with as close a fit as you can without them fouling the radiator mounting part,all the best,thanks for the comment about the patina,i dont like the chipping effect so im stripping it off, the hood 

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished