1:72 Eduard Sopwith Baby

Well folks, here she is! The first half of my Sopwith double build is now in the cabinet. 

The interior, all struts, beaching trolley, tail surfaces, and tail stand are scratchbuilt. The Lewis is MiniWorld, prop and engine are Aeroclub.

Mods to the kit included removing the headrest and moulded front "visor", reskinning the entire top surface of the fuselage with .005" sheet to correct the cockpit shape and improve the definition of the rear turtledecking, reskinning the fuselage underside to reduce the depth, and drastically reducing the height of the main floats. The opening in the upper wing was also filled as photos show this aircraft without it.
 Rigging is .06mm (0.002") monofilament, with similar sized stainless wire used on the tail float. The sling on the upper wing is simply a couple of pieces of cotton tied together and CA'd in place.

The model represents a Sopwith Baby with Nore Flight, Isle of Grain, in May 1916. This particular aircraft was there by 24th April 1916, and was capsised and wrecked in mid May. It was struck off charge in June of that year.

She's just become one of my personal favourites, I hope you like her!

Ian

30842682274_2d67516a3e_k.jpg

31311903530_a00ebd954e_k.jpg

31311904900_bd7a2fc848_k.jpg

31311902710_2df9f713ab_k.jpg

31311902080_4458404912_k.jpg

31311901470_757b8b76ca_k.jpg

31311900830_44219a0caf_k.jpg

Edited by limeypilot
added info
  • Like 42

Lovely build of an all-too-ignored aircraft! I did the same company's 1/48 version some years ago---and it 'fought me' much of the way---so I can envision your challenges in the smaller scale. But you clearly won out, and it's easy to see why it's your new favourite. Truly stunning work.

As a 'side' bit of trivia...did you realize the Norwegians operated their Babys as late as 1931? Surely that has to rank the diminutive Baby as having the longest service life of any of Sopwith's designs. A pretty mean feat, considering some of its other 'stable-mates'!

• Like 1

OMG .... one of finest a d BEST looking Sopwith I have seen in a long time.

it's pristine lines and wooden effect et al  is just MAGNIFICENT..:yikes::clap2:

what a WONDROUS looking model and in its own way most Effulgent

I applaud you for a very impressively built model. 

:wow:   :wub::heart:   :worthy:   :worthy:

• 1 year later...

Wow, I got a thread resurrection!

Many thanks gents, and Merry Christmas one year on! Pat - go for it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1