1/72 Revell Shackleton AEW.2

Bjorn

yes... Here is another Shackleton, this time from a Swedish workbench. This was a pretty quick build, about four weeks, almost entirely OOB.

31645707856_58a9894c3e_c.jpg

The build was surprisingly fast (among other things thanks to Eduard's masks for the myriad of windows!), and I did not bother to correct the small issues. To me this looks very much like a Shackleton, and that is enough for me. Although, there are few more suitable objects for rivet-counting... :) However, I added seatbelts and a number of missing antennas.

31567221741_6c00c542e6_c.jpg

Painted with Gunze acrylics. I replaced the roundels, the rest is from the kit's decal sheet. If I would do another build of this, I would probably use aftermarket decals. 

31310260250_9c26cafb16_c.jpg

The rivets are  no problem for me, I like them. This is why i decided to go for Revell instead of Airfix. They may be over-sized, but so are most panel lines on almost every 1/72 kit. However, there are pretty difficult to restore after sanding. Another problem is that they are of different size on the kit, for instance they are much deeper on the engine nacelles than on the body. But this is no major problem IMO.

31567344071_e41f5a37bb_c.jpg

31536511092_9c87708fb2_c.jpg

I decided to go for a semi-gloss finish. I know that the original was more glossy, but to me this would create a toy-like finish. So it might be a bit incorrect, but I think that it looks far better this way.

31567282521_653b80d84d_c.jpg

Apart from some difficulties with the landing gear (which might be my own fault, I decided to assemble them before painting), this was a very easy build. I really recommend this kit.

30872711113_3429e43500_c.jpg

Do I like masking propellers? No, I don't. Next kit will be a jet aircraft, I promise! :)

30872777413_e1dd051aea_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 66

Hello,Bjorn - My full compliments to you on a beautiful build of your 'Shackleton'.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work and also the subtle weathering.In my eyes,she's perfection.I love her.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 3

A super looking Shackleton.  Note to self: must get myself one of these to go with the Airfix MR.2, although I don't look forward to painting the props.  I like your gloss finish.  It looks pretty much to scale to me. 

13 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Although, there are few more suitable objects for rivet-counting...

Perhaps this sets a new benchmark... you're not a true rivet counter until you've counted the rivets on the Revell Shackleton!

Björn,

RESPLENDENTLY accomplished and quite a SPECTACULAR  looking Shackleton. :yahoo::yikes::wub:

It looks very Pristine and the details on it superbly carried out.

I wish it was MINE..

BRAVO.

:mike:

Edited by HOUSTON

For a moment I thought (and hoped) that, from your introduction, it would be a "What If?" of a Swedish Shack! :D

Bravo on a wonderful build, it looks excellent! A lovely example. I hope you do indulge in the Airfix kit too as I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.

Edited by k5054nz