Convair YB-60 fron B-36

Rhino

Hi All

With my C-5 stalled, I feel the need to carry out another long term project. This time it will be a conversion of the old Monogram B-36 kit into the YB-60 jet bomber. This aircraft was in competition with the B-52 for a long range jet propelled bomber, as an easier build in case the B-52 design didn't come to pass. As the B-52 was in the end a successful design, the compromises with the B-60 meant the design was no ;onger required, so only one prototype was built, with a second under construction at the program cancellation. Although looking radically different to the B-36, there was a lot of commonality, in particular the fuselage. Also the wing was used, being broken at the inboard engine and swept back. This will make my job easier as the inboard wing section containing the undercarriage was unchanged, except for a fairing at the leading edge.

On to the model. I have started on the port wing first. I cut out the enginesand will fill the gap with milliput. The inner section was glued to the fuselage, and I have started on the fillet at the leading edge.

IMG_2313_zps4us541es.jpg

IMG_2312_zpsko8wvgkl.jpg

IMG_2311_zpsrkqayfga.jpg

IMG_2310_zpswhvhdx4n.jpg

IMG_2309_zps1kwvvg84.jpg

That's all for this time. It may be a while before I check in as this will be a slow build, due to work commitments and other models to build.

Thanks for looking.

Ted

• Like 15

Hi All

First up, thanks for the interest. This project is somethin I have wanted to do for ages.

Fortunately, there is a lot of commonality between the YB-60 and the B-36, especially the fuselage. The wings were also more in common than it looks. The biggest change really is the engines and the tail empannage. Fortunately for me the engines are the same as on the early B-52, one problem solved.

On to todays progress.

The first three shots are the Anigrand 1/144th scale kit, to show where I need to go with this one.

IMG_2314_zpsyy0dmbfg.jpg

IMG_2315_zps3klylcds.jpg

IMG_2316_zpsmgnxgods.jpg

The other two shots show the initial attachment of the rest of the wing structure. I use plastic card to put it in place, then tons of Milliput to fair it all in. This will take a few days to put in place as the Milliput needs to be put on in smallish bits and left to set overnight. I am using standard Milliput for the strong bits and superfine to do the final fairing in.

Heres what I mean.

IMG_2317_zpsjdirpv0p.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsye1271zq.jpg

Once the wing is complete I will build the internals and join the fuselage, so I can align the other wing easier, but that is a way ahead.

Thanks for the interest, and any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

Ted

• Like 14

Hi All

Work is progressing with the port wing quite nicely. I have so far used 11/2 cartons of milliput and the wing is getting heavy. Normally by this stage I would be worried about tail sitting. Fortunately for me, the real aircraft suffered the same problem and Cpnvair added a wheel assembly at the tail, so that problem is solved.

These next two shots show the wing progress so far.

IMG_2320_zpsl13kje9i.jpg

IMG_2321_zpsejoqws6f.jpg

As Milliput takes time to set, which naturally makes for a lot of waiting time, I have been looking at the vertical tail plane shape, which is considerably taller than on the B-36, as is the horizontal tailplanes. I have started on the starboard side first, and will do the port side later when the fuselage is joined. Again, lots of Milliput but this time I got the shape on plastic card, chopped out some of the original fin and glued the shape into place. Milliput was then used to fair in the shape.Also, the rudder shape was puttied in as the rudder on the YB-60 is narrower but taller than on the B-36. This will be carved in later.

The following two shots show the difference in shape

IMG_2322_zpsfvq4ezsm.jpg

IMG_2323_zpsulochgt1.jpg

I don't think the wings need any further strengthening, Milliput can be quite strong.

Thanks to everyone for showing interest.

Ted

• Like 10

Wow- that's ambitious.

I think the problem you'll actually have with the weight of the milluput is the impact on the fuselage seam- the weight of those wings is going to split that seam open I think. Perhaps some spars would help take the stress away from the fuselage joint.

• Like 1

Hi All

First thanks for the interest. General, I do use P38 sometimes, but I prefer Mill8iput, though I am planning on 'skinning' the reworked parts before I rescribe everything. This is purely because Milliput works for me, and I know other people hate the stuff, but in this hobby, all is fair. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

While working slowly on the port wing, and while waiting for the Milliput to set, I have started to work on the tailplane. When I was planning this project I thought they were just extended a bit, but in reality they are also swept back a bit more.

I decided to try to use what I could of the original tailplane to simplify fixing them to the fuselage.To this end, I made a plastic former as I did with the vertical tailplane, and chopped off various bits of the original tailplane and glued the former in position. Again using Milliput, I faired it all in, and also removed the elevator, which will need to be redone.

As usual with this project, this will take some time.

Here are shots to show what I've done.

First, the original tailplane with the former.

IMG_2324_zpszraqiggs.jpg

Next is the chopped up tailplane attached to the former.

IMG_2325_zpskinw3obl.jpg

Finally, a comparison of the two tailplanes.

IMG_2326_zps2xzfkaww.jpg

Thats all for now.

Thanks for looking.

Ted

• Like 7

Hi All

I hope you all got what you wanted for Christmas. In my case, I got some quiet modelling time in.

I have been fettling the port wing and starboard tailplane. They are both in shape, and the tailplane has even been scribed. I am now getting rid of imperfections, as this is going to be a metal scheme. Once I'm happy I will get the fuselage internals done and join the fuselage. Once that is done then the other wing gets started.

IMG_2330_zpstmpyqzri.jpg

IMG_2331_zpsze2xej2g.jpg

IMG_2332_zpsbn1of47j.jpg

IMG_2333_zpsmhrxjpvo.jpg

IMG_2334_zpsgxgb6ud1.jpg

IMG_2336_zpsfefupih8.jpg

IMG_2337_zpscsx7tucs.jpg

In the meantime, I have got a shot showing the difference between the B-36 and the B-60.

IMG_2329_zpszjxry5vh.jpg

Thanks for looking in and happy modelling.

Ted

• Like 9

Amazing work! I too have had the seemingly crazy idea of converting the B-36 into the YB-60. Nice to see that it can be done, with some obvious skill and hard work. I've also had the (still crazy) idea of converting a Tu-95 back into its piston-engined predecessor, the Tu-85 Barge. Like your conversion, the fuselages are largely the same.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Hi All

First of all, thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated.

Wooksta, I don't seem to have much luck with aerosols, but I was planning on using a Halfords Aluminium colour on this beast due to it's size.

Jockney. The thought of the metal undercarriage is an excellent idea which I will look into. I do believe SAC does a B-36 set.

Learstang. Good luck with the project. I must admit I rather fancy going the other way and doing the XC-99, which is same engines and wing, but totally different fuselage. I know there is or was a conversion set out there somewhere.

Onto the model so far.

Today I have started on the fuselage joining prep work.

First stage is 4 of the 6 gun aiming windows need to be blanked off, with two at the rear remaining, as per the first 3 photo's.

IMG_2340_zpsuuu4ydcm.jpg

IMG_2339_zpsuutx97zd.jpg

IMG_2338_zps0z7xt9z7.jpg

The next thing I did was to sort out one of the major fit problems with the kit, and that is the bomb bay doors, which are slightly undersized.

This is a job tailor made for The Wooksta's P-38 filler. I just shovelled loads of it inside, and carefully layered some on the outside. The doors will be accurately scribed in later on, after the fuselage is sorted. The next 2 shot's show that off.

IMG_2345_zpscyg0xhgo.jpg

IMG_2344_zpsdwipl11k.jpg

Finally I added some tabs to help fit the fuselage halves together. I'm hoping these will help keep it together, as the wings weigh a bit, even with the wheels in the wings.

IMG_2343_zpsisluqsua.jpg

Tomorrow, I shall start on the cockpit, and add the tail wheel box which was added to the B-60. I'll see hoe that goes. I have a crafty plan for the tail wheel assembly. More on that later.

Thanks for looking in.

Ted

• Like 4