F-16A RNoAF Block 1, Tamiya C conversion.

mirageiv

17 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

David..

EXCEPTIONAL workmanship...:worthy:

looking forward to more of your OUTSTANDING Build. 

It ROCKS!:heart:

Glad you like the F-16 Houston!

13 hours ago, Antoine said:

Simply stunning, Dave, really!

Wot???

A build of yours with U/C down????

Cheers Antoine! Yes I have started to change, all my builds this year were gear down, not a permanent thing though I'm sure :winkgrin: I think one day I would like to build one of the colourful RNLAF F-16 display schemes, in flight, with the large 'high-G' vapour trails from the LERX (maybe cotton wool), could look pretty cool imho

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Once again David one of your builds is setting the standard.

Absolutely superb work and great attention to detail, I actually really like the Norwegian scheme (even though it is grey) and the national markings are nice and colourful which helps them stand out.

Really looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you Craig for the way to kind words, greatly appreciated but no standards being set here! Pretty sure I've hit a brick wall on this one if I'm honest, trying to make a brand new jet look not so much like a model, especially a monotone one at that. If it were 1/32 scale I think you could get away with it no problem, 1/48 is a bit optimistic for me! hmmm I will have to try take some choice photos to get a semi convincing result I think. I like the RNoAF scheme too, highlights the nice lines of the jet for me :) (I don't think there is an F-16 scheme I don't like!) I will try and finish it this weekend so I'll do a final update then.

thanks  for looking in guys,

DAvid

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

...... trying to make a brand new jet look not so much like a model, especially a monotone one at that.

Actually David what you are tackling is really brave because that scheme is very lacking in interest appeal shall we say, and yet its so refreshing to see a non standard F-16 being built for once, built to a very high standard - personally I love the early 16's be they Noggies, Dutch or Belgians!

What you got next?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gary West said:

Actually David what you are tackling is really brave because that scheme is very lacking in interest appeal shall we say, and yet its so refreshing to see a non standard F-16 being built for once, built to a very high standard - personally I love the early 16's be they Noggies, Dutch or Belgians!

What you got next?

Thanks Gary! Yeah I can understand an unarmed plain grey F-16 isn't on everyones wish list :D. The only ways I tried to combat the dreaded 'toy' look were to try and put (by my standards) some good detail in the visible places, slightly lightening the base colour, toning down the decals and a choice wash for access panels and hopefully some outdoor photos. I did try out some further weathering but it quickly deviated from the whole look I was going for.

I just really like the early Falcons too and went with pretty much one of the earliest I could do.  Video footage on these very early jets is pretty sparse but I found a General Dynamics promo short film for the initial deliveries if you are interested (also pretty useful for modelling purposes).

Not sure whats next, I'll be away from the bench for a bit but I did sign up for quite a few GBs this year, hopefully I can make some of them. For sure it will be more Cold War jets though! :)

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 3

99% done today! Just missing the static dischargers but thought I get some final WIP photos before (all) the light goes, them and some other little bits will be done for the finished photos. First thing I knocked off a little bit of the gloss on the nose, lol not that this photo really shows it.

L1090769_zpsahwg8vdv.jpg

The tiny master AOA probes were sprayed with Alclad and attached. I've placed RBF tags and pins on the 3 main gear points and also the EPU pin on the Starboard intake (could be a rather risky bit of pre-flight checking for the EPU after reading about it). Also I forgot to mention in an earlier post, the rear canopy and central frame of the main canopy seemed to have these unpainted metal rivets on some of the very early jets, I cannot recall seeing them left unpainted on later jets. Not the neatest thing I've ever done but after a black wash to tone them down they look ok.

L1090796_zpssqchw4aj.jpg

RDAF Blk 1 jet but shows them quite well

General Dynamics F-16A E-176 SKP 1980_0045ab

The little ariel was replaced on top. Originally I had to sand it off to get a flush finish for the Tamiya insert. Also (I think) the little light, seen in the pic below

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zedlav/media/F-16 kit pics/F-16 ED Pics/AF-16CGGPSAntenna.jpg.html  I just used a tiny bit of silver paint for it.

L1090792_zpseu25g3z9.jpg

The old style tail tip light was made from spare clear plastic, I tired making a little bulb inside but its not very concinving :winkgrin: The very small tail light on the rear above the parachute was made and sanded even more from the very tip of the clear LGB sensor head provided in the Tamiya kit. I wanted to use the method I saw a few guys on here do, pushing melted clear spruce through a circular scribing template, but it was too small for anything I had. Finally I added some tape and cord to the Wolfpack parachute simply to make it a little more 3D.

L1090784_zpsisw7u0cs.jpg

Most of the main airframe is now glued up including the rather awkward (from my experience) air brakes. I don't think I'll use them again as I prefer them closed keeping the nice lines but they add some extra interest for a clean Viper I guess. Also in this photo it shows the indivdual petals of the outer exhaust glued to the inner, not sure if it is resin shrinkage or what on the interior nozzle but they looked silly left unattached. 

L1090795_zpsfrwac4iw.jpg

The JFS exhaust (right) was painted with Alclad and had some slight 'burnt' weathering. The little ram air inlet painted up and I added some little details to the tip launchers, though I couldn't get a decent pic, will have to wait for better lighting.

L1090798_zpsxf5vzeec.jpg

IIRC the tip launchers (as all pylons/tanks on RNoAF F-16s) are painted FS26375, its about as colourful as it gets :D

L1090811_zpslv74ky8e.jpg

And thats why I made this,

L1090802_zpsxpe14qxj.jpg

It is removable as I like the full intake provided in the Tamiya kit so it doesn't have all the attachment cords etc...the little Norwegian flag is completely fictional but I like it :). 

Last thing for this build, some chocks left over from the Brassin wheels. 

L1090819_zpsoe7a26r8.jpg

I'll need to wait for some decent lighting to get the final pics but that's that for this build! Thank you for looking and commenting on my thread, happy to share it, see you over in the RFI thread in a few days maybe!

cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 11

David,

it is just beautiful! Your build is a real inspiration. :wub:

Heck, I've never had any interest in those black nosed Vipers, but last night I even searched the internet for pics...:blink:

Aren´t you going to put any weapons on your model? I´d probably put an AIM-9J acquisition round on one of the rails. But anyways, super job!

Cheers,

Joerg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plastikschrottler said:

David,

it is just beautiful! Your build is a real inspiration. :wub:

Heck, I've never had any interest in those black nosed Vipers, but last night I even searched the internet for pics...:blink:

Aren´t you going to put any weapons on your model? I´d probably put an AIM-9J acquisition round on one of the rails. But anyways, super job!

Cheers,

Joerg

Glad you like it Joerg, ha I have often found myself doing similar searches after seeing builds on here! Nope no weapons or anything for this one as the general theme is '272' ready for delivery from the Fokker factory. I was tempted to stick a centre tank and 2 tip AIM-9Js a few weeks back, but then I could have gone and weathered/painted it more appropriately for an operational machine so I just kept the same idea. I just really like this picture for whatever reason :) :

280.jpg?m=1371922872

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Darn near perfect.

Cookie thank you, means a lot coming from a modeller of your standards!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Simply stunning David, stunning.

I like the air inlet cover, very realistic. And I don't care if the Norwegian flag on it is fictional or not, I like it!

Thanks very much Craig, yeah as its only removable I thought accuracy isn't important and went with a bit of additional colour! :)

I just finished the dischargers, I know I said the previous was the last update but might as well show them now.

Simply made from toothbrush bristles like many others have done prior. Really is a good solution as they give some wiggle room incase you knock them. I placed them on tape like so and cut appropriately to make sure they were all the same length,

L1090830_zpscrngja0m.jpg

Then installed in the pre-drilled mounts where needed, just a shot of the tail ones here,

L1090829_zps1q9tr7z1.jpg

I made a few spare too because I'm bound to knock some off!

ok, now the WIP thread is done :winkgrin:

cheers all,

david

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 11

Simply one of the best F-16 models I have seen!!! It is really good to see a clean model without heavily washed abs shaded panel lines.

Your timing is good, as Gen.Lt. Smedsvig celebrates his 75 years' birthday today:

• Like 3

It is the best F-16 I`ve seen in plastic! And it`s good old 272, sparkling bright, direct from Fokker!

Fantastic build and a real inspiration for us RNoAF builders/ fans!!

Just waiting for more pics!

D-Ice

• Like 1

Thank you Nils and D-Ice, you guys are way too kind! I think you are maybe biased :winkgrin: ^_^

I will get some final pictures soon D-Ice, probably later this week.

Cheers,

DAvid.

Edited by mirageiv

David,

YOUR LEVEL OF REALYTY IS UNREAL :)!

En plus, that is one of the most clean builds I saw in the forums, and your attention to detail is exceptional ! 

Very impressed and very inspired,

Olli

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Knetterik said:

David,

I'm reluctant to go on with my F-16 in the STGB after seeing this... what an amazing detail everywhere... No way to outclass that! Great great work, a benchmark for all future F-16 projects here....

:mike:

Erik

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I feel the same!

thank you Erik and Cookie, much appreciated. Erik your F-16 build is fantastic so far and i look forward to watching it come together!

5 hours ago, wanthony said:

Outstanding model, well done sir!

cheers wanthony

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

As has already been said, outstanding work David (as usual) the benchmark F-16 build.

Very well done mate.

Craig.

Thank you Craig but I've seen many better one here :winkgrin:, as always I appreciate your comments thank you!

• Like 2