1/35 MiniArt SU-85 1943 Early Production Model

This is my second attempt at building an armoured vehicle since I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago when I then built a Meng Merkava Israeli Main Battle Tank. I intend to put this vehicle into a winter snow diorama, this will be my first attempt at making a snow effect scene, so it should be a lot of fun. The kit itself arrived late last week and I began the build last weekend, it seems to be a nicely made kit however some of the sprue gate cutting points are extremely thick and unnecessary in certain areas which causes a lot more work for cleaning the parts up. However the plastic is very soft and with a Flory sanding stick does clean up quite quickly. There is a bit of history of the vehicle below from the build manual.

History: The SU-85 (Samokhodnaya ustanovka 85) was a Soviet self-propelled gun used during World War II, developed on the basis of the T-34 medium tank and the SU-122 assault gun. Produced from August 1943 through July 1944. The 85mm D-5S gun allowed the SU-85 to effectively hit enemy medium tanks at distances of more than 1,000 meters and was able to destroy a Tiger tank from 1000 meters out, proving much capable against the newer German tank designs.

4EH80oW.jpg
e0lWEsh.jpg
E6FQAbD.jpg
R2IqWmw.jpg
6XzDfzj.jpg
GkK6ojN.jpg
YiHHJxi.jpg
f1E4kaG.jpg
qmMjQBU.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 6

Hi Lee

Starting well

I love miniart kits, so frustratingly(new word ?) complex and fragile yet makes a terrific finished product.

I think they are raising the bar a bit for detailed kits IMHO

Keeping my eye on this

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece mate.  I started the exact same kit and agree the kit is nice... However the tracks imo were awful (might have been user error if I'm truthful)  so I gave up on it. Yours looks good so far. Why scheme are you doing? 

2 hours ago, Jusjay said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece mate.  I started the exact same kit and agree the kit is nice... However the tracks imo were awful (might have been user error if I'm truthful)  so I gave up on it. Yours looks good so far. Why scheme are you doing? 

Going for the box art scheme,not sure how i am going to tackle the camo stripes yet LOL!

I agree the tracks are crap,they do go together but you need to trim every bit of flash off the butting surfaces,i found a fresh scalpel blade works well.I am going to stick with them as most of the tracks will be covered in snow.

• Like 1

Ah that'll be a good scheme mate. Yeah the tracks didn't click in like they were meant to either unfortunately, but hey ho you live and learn. The model is a paint mule now haha! I've got a few spare bits of unused track if you need them,  still on the sprue (well,  I think I have!)  so if u need any let me know via pm. 

40 minutes ago, Jusjay said:

Ah that'll be a good scheme mate. Yeah the tracks didn't click in like they were meant to either unfortunately, but hey ho you live and learn. The model is a paint mule now haha! I've got a few spare bits of unused track if you need them,  still on the sprue (well,  I think I have!)  so if u need any let me know via pm. 

ok cheers,but mine seem to be mostly clicking into place,i have one side of track done,should get them all done by this weekend,then paint the wheels and tracks and prime the hull early next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

Going for the box art scheme,not sure how i am going to tackle the camo stripes yet LOL!

I agree the tracks are crap,they do go together but you need to trim every bit of flash off the butting surfaces,i found a fresh scalpel blade works well.I am going to stick with them as most of the tracks will be covered in snow.

Paint the entire tank green. Use something like "Silly Putty" or "Blue Tack" and roll it into long thin cylinders. Put these on the tank where you want the green stripes to be and then spray the white. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/silly-putty

G

3 hours ago, AgentG said:

Paint the entire tank green. Use something like "Silly Putty" or "Blue Tack" and roll it into long thin cylinders. Put these on the tank where you want the green stripes to be and then spray the white. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/silly-putty

G

Cheers that was going to be my first option to try.

• Like 1

Hi all, just a quick update. Lots of wheels to paint LOL and I've added bits of photo etch, also arrived in the post are a few items that will go towards making the diorama. I hope to get some parts in primer later this week, I have ordered some MRP Paints to give a try for the main colours of the vehicle body. I've also got a pack of Precision Ice and Snow for the winter effects. I will update again soon.

luckzUE.jpg
fFgRZjU.jpg
emOkNDE.jpg
7rOuX28.jpg
M4sxfhF.jpg
4SccVvr.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I turned this tank build into a snowy diorama. The backstory to this diorama is that the tank crew got separated from their convoy in a huge whiteout blizzard that lasted for most of the day and they are now trying to figure out where they are in relation to the rest of the convoy. The guy sitting down is suffering from chronic toothache, his comrade standing next to him is asking him how he is feeling (or offering to pull it out) LOL!

Here are a few of the finished pictures, you can also see my finished diorama/tank build by clicking the link below.

sYMG9LH.jpg
uw7JAq0.jpg
TweUFUC.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 3

Hi,the Icicles were made from 5min epoxy scooped up a blob with an old scalpel blade and dragged the pointed end over a polyurethane plastic bag,this formed the shape off the icicle,when set simply cut to size and peel off the sheet,i applied with pva glue,or some clear lacquer can be used.

The snow was from Precision ice and snow a product that is sold in a powder form called Krycell,plenty of " how to" video's on YouTube.

I used some 2k clear lacquer to make the wet slushy areas mixed the lacquer with the Krycell powder,all new stuff to me but i just wanted to see how real i could make a snowy diorama.