Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm, Sturtivant et al

85sqn

Typical!  Just when all my nearest and dearest have finalised their Christmas presents.  I shall have to shell out myself.

Not too different in page count from the 2nd ed and there's been a fair bit of FAA history in the intervening 20-odd years, so probably (hopefully!) different rather than more photos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I left a message with them over a week ago and Air Britain have not got back to me yet........ I want a copy of this book!

Cheers

Tony

On 11/01/2017 at 7:04 PM, tonyot said:

I left a message with them over a week ago and Air Britain have not got back to me yet........ I want a copy of this book!

Cheers

Tony

Odd: ordered mine on 28 Dec and it arrived on 4 Jan: pretty good, I thought, for the time of year.

PS  yes, you do want this book, believe me. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 9:50 PM, Seahawk said:

Odd: ordered mine on 28 Dec and it arrived on 4 Jan: pretty good, I thought, for the time of year.

PS  yes, you do want this book, believe me. 

Is it mostly more modern content thats new? Any new WW2 content?

I was planning to do a review on here but need longer to assess it fairly (eg against 2nd Ed photo content).  No, it is NOT just a reissue of 2nd Ed with updates to cover the last 20-odd years: it's a more thorough revision with notably improved production values (case-bound, high gloss paper, extensive use of colour, larger photos).  My impression is that the photo content across all periods is generally significantly different from that in the 2nd Ed, more so than between 1st and 2nd Eds eg (cutting to your particular area of interest) a quick skim of coverage of 1845-1853 Sqs suggests that none of the 9 Corsair shots are shared with 2nd Ed and only one with 1st Ed.  However covering an extra 20 years and reproducing photos larger while increasing pagecount by only 12 pages may leave the enthusiast for earlier periods feeling a tad disappointed.  There are also one or two errors that one feels would not have got past Ray Sturtivant.  But that is not to knock a stupendous work of research.  

Best gem so far is a photo of Ajax's 2 (Eh? Wherever did they store the 2nd one?) 718 Sq Seafoxes shortly before the Battle of the River Plate: overall silver with coloured fin with (ship's?) badge on it.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have all three editions of this book now and this latest one s a work of art,........all new content,...... but I do wish that some photos had been reproduced bigger as my eyes were struggling to see them properly and I had to resort to a magnifying glass. The paper quality is superb and glossy.

Cheers

Tony