need recommendations on a new airbrush

shood23

After years of using crap cheap airbrushes and them breaking after 5/6 months I have had enough and want to take the plunge and spend a reasonable amount on a new branded one.

I'm looking at an iwata Revolution CR for 2 reasons, 1) it's pricey but not too pricey 2) it comes standard with my favored needle size. 

What I want to know is where can I get the best deal for one and also if anyone on here has one how would you rate it, obviously compared to what I have been using it should be miles better. 

Thanks 

Shaun

I've had one for around 4 years now, although I only use it for priming, clear coating and for using Alclad. I use either a HP-CH or a Micron, obviously both Iwatas,for everything else.

I've never had any trouble whatsoever with any so never had to replace any parts.

I'd never consider owning any other make.

Air-craft.net have Iwatas for pretty good prices. Look at the traders part of this forum. 

Tim.

So, it looks like you are painting vehicles, 1/24th and up. So you want large area work for bodies and priming, but possibly a lower paint flow to paint the more detailed  parts.  

The Revolution CR with the 05mm nozzle is a good solid airbrush for area work.

The Eclipse CS is also worth  a look, it comes with a 0.35mm setup that should be OK for the large areas and can be fitted with a 0.5mm set if needed.

Both solid brushes, the Eclipse is easier to clean, but both do have fixed 9ml paint cups that can get in the way if you want to paint details.

We should have both in stock, drop me a line if you are interested in the prices.

I would also consider the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CRplus 0.4mm  at about £130.

German made, easy to strip, spares are a lot cheaper than Iwata and it's a lot more flexible going forwards.

The brush can be fitted with any of 4 nozzle sets 0.15mm, 0.2mm, 0.4mm or 0.6mm if you get in to larger kits.

It also has flexibility on the paint cup size. This one is supplied with a 5ml cup. You can also add a 0.2mm paint cup, 0.3mm cup for fine details. Or going the other way a 15ml metal cup, a 50ml plastic cup or a 15ml side feed bottle.

It is fitted with a pincer aircap, so if you are using acrylics to paint details, you can see where the paint is going from and to as well as see any paint buildup on the tip and pinch it off before it splatters onto the model.

You can add a preset handle for a reasonable price, and the main spares are not to expensive, needles £9, nozzles £13-14 and a full set of o rings are about £10.

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/harder--steenbeck-evolution-crplus-04-airbrush----04mm-nozzle-set-and-5ml-paint-cup-3713-p.asp

One other that may be worth a look is the Sparmax GP-35 or GP-50.

These are trigger brushes with a 7 and 15ml side feed paint up. It has a preset handle on the back to limit the maximum paint flow. 

Available with either a 0.35mm or 0.5mm nozzle set. Very easy to use. Can cover areas as well as painting down to about 3mm lines where needed. Current price is £90

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-gp-35-3723-p.asp

Paul

• Like 1

I think it depends on a few factors. What is your preferred scale? What type/brand of paints do you use most often? 

I've got an Iwata Revolution CR. But I find it very uncomfortable to use for longer spraying periods. It's a good brush, no doubt, but just seems to sit wrong in my hand and I feel like I'm stretching my fingers awkwardly to reach the button to spray.

I've also got a Tamiya Spraywork, the pistol style version and that is a great airbrush. Very solid construction, built to last and sprays beautifully. Also very comfortable in use. For clear coats I use a Sparmax. It's a GP-70 with a 0.7mm tip. A fantastic brush for laying on a good, solid, wet clear layer and not too expensive either. Also, very comfortable to use.

Finally, I recently bought and use a GSI Procon Boy with a 0.4mm tip. This is a simple single action airbrush. Just turn out the needle at the back to set the spray width. It's light, comfortable and so easy to use and clean. Very robust, with quality construction and great value for money. To be honest, it's become my go to brush for 90% of my painting, from small parts like wheels, right up to full body parts on 1/24th model cars. I can't recommend it highly enough. Hope I haven't ranted on too much and that I've given you a few alternatives to Iwata and the like. Although I like Iwata myself, I think there are also some very nice, brushes that do the same job, better and at a fraction of the price, whilst still offering quality construction and reliability. Just my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

Right so a bit of an update to round out this post. 

My other half got many (and I mean many) hints in the days leading up to Christmas and she gave in I guess and picked me up an iwata Revolution CR. I have only just got to use it today due to the amount of stuff "father Christmas" brung the kids, most of which requires you to have a degree just to put it together, but my word just from the first quick use on a scrap bit of plastic I can already tell it's a million miles away from what I was using before. 

Thanks for all the help chaps. 

Shaun 

• Like 2