R27 Alamo missile question

James G

Hi All,

I'm getting on to painting the missiles for my Su-27 diorama and have a few questions. I have 4 x R-27 (2 with rounded heads and 2 with pointed heads), and 2 x R73.

I'm depicting an alert aircraft, and the missiles look like this:

Image result for R-27 Alamo missile

Image result for Archer missile

Unfortunately, I am using the missiles from the ICM kit which have no painting or decaling instructions. I have some missile decals from the Trumpeter for the R27s, but they look like this:

Image result for R-27 Alamo missile

Am I right in thinking that the black and white stripes depict training rounds? Would on-alert aircraft have carried missiles painted like this? Based on photos, I am using a dark metallic colour on the missile fins, and a buff colour on the seeker heads. The decals I have (from the Trumpeter Flanker C kit) may be appropriate for the R73s - if anyone could advise I would be grateful!

Are there any appropriate 1/72 decals for the R27 missiles, say with the Trumpeter Flanker B kit? If I can't track any down I'm going to make some of my own for the R27s based on this:

R-27-decal2.jpg

Unfortunately only 1:48 available....

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,

James

• 4 weeks later...

Update - I got the Begemot decal set and it's very nice, with very detailed painting instructions too. The main missile colour is listed as 'flat light grey', which I put into the 'Ultimate Paint Conversion Chart'  (http://www.paint4models.com/)

The chart suggested FS no. 36440/26440 as 'flat light grey', equivalent to Humbrol 129/Tamiya XF55/ Vallejo Model Air 45. I used the Tamiya and the grey looks a bit too dark when compared to photos of the real things (which look almost white, but could be a trick of the light). Does anyone have any colour advice for R27/R73 missiles?

Thanks, James