Meng British MKV Male (yes another one)

BlackMax12

Here is a start to the Meng WWI Male tank with it's complete interior.  Quite a bit of fiddling and probably won't see much of it anyway.

Not as good as some of the recent posts of the same model on this site but I just wanted a match for my MKV Female and may never actually install

the interior.  I didn't attempt to give the engine any spark plugs as they can barely be seen with the engine cover in place and that's too daunting for my old eyes.

Still need to paint the engine cover and seats and install the rad piping then the inside walls, roof and floor needs to be white so I need some more Tamiya white and masking tape.

I have a Meng Whippet painted with the Nato Black shadow coat and can't decide if it's going to be the normal green with the red/white stripes or if it's going to be a captured unit in German colors.

Kind of leaning towards the captured look as it's simpler and it's something different again.

Then there is a Tamiya Easy Eight Sherman also painted with a base Olive Drab and I seem to have lost interest and a Rye Field Abrams M1A1 that's been sitting in the black shadow coat for a month and no 

urge to finish it.

I have a Trumpeter Sdkfz 7 8 ton half track with the 37mm AA gun and trailer waiting in the stash and just ordered a Dragon late Sdkfz 7 8 ton and the Dragon 15cm howitzer with the Griffon Models photo etch

detail up set which looks like almost as involved as the Pontos set for my 1/200 Missouri.

Anyway, lots to keep going over Christmas and maybe even January.

Happy Holidays to everyone,

Lloyd

F4L4BH9.jpgjn4v0Pf.jpg7Bp93NK.jpgfOHC6b4.jpgC2AfvmF.jpgyAML5ST.jpgSNYGCaU.jpgSFFnizc.jpg the interior in this one.

• Like 4

The engine/crew compartment is pretty much complete.  The engine cover needs some type of weathering as it's too pristine white.9zOG1Ee.jpg0j84Kg8.jpgms5TYx2.jpgd9r7ZQ2.jpg6ONvOby.jpgVhmlwKh.jpg

When I finish painting the rest of the interior white I will revisit the engine cover with some oils, grease and muck to tone it down some.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a Holstien cow at the moment with black and white shading.

Yes there is a complete interior in there but I gave up trying to make the roof removable and didn't want to leave a sponson off.

With the roof off the whole sides are only attached at the bottom and it's flimsy so unless you add some angle irons across between the tops of the hull sides and then the roof won't fit properly

not to mention cutting and fitting the un-ditching rails and the exhaust.  Gave it up as another bad dream.

I tried leaving all of the hatches open but you can't see anything inside anyway without adding some LEDs or something for light so I just glued the hatches shut.

I stole an idea from Longshanks and added a 0.040" Evergreen cap to the top of the gun shields to keep them from flopping around, works great.

Unless one is planning an elaborate diorama the interior is a complete waste of time and resources.

Working on those tedious tracks and hope to have this finished this week as I have spent enough time on it.

wRoDMs1.jpgyBTtYge.jpgQN8n2y3.jpgEonoJRX.jpg

Probably would stand out on the battle field but yes it does look sort of quaint.

Naaa...I think good old beat up brown with some red and white stripes for flavor is probably more palatable.

Wonder if Meng has ever considered a transparent side  or a cut away like the picture on the box?

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

• Like 1

you make them so good i wouldn't mind if you stick only to wwI brit tanks. For a change you can try to make a MK I next with that funny trolley it has on the back for steering :D 

also the interiors are so good that i would consider to make a cut version with  interiors exposed on display. 

Edited by cambridge

Cambridge

Thanks for the comments.

It's not done yet as I think I'll use the "crib" un-ditching tsetup rather than just the plain beam so I'm working on that.  I didn't install the pins to hook up the chain for the crib when I was building it so now I have to drill some holes and fab some pins.

Maybe I should get the MK 1 or even the Tadpole as I rather like that and send it to you so you can do the display cutting and send it back.

Take care,

Lloyd