Best 1/72 Storm Shadow ALCM?

Procopius

There are a couple of different Storm Shadows floating around these days: the Revell one in their 1/72 Eurofighter; the Hasegawa one in their Eurofighter and the European (whoops) weapons set they sell; and the Eduard Brassin one. Does anyone know if these are all equivalent or if one is superior to the others? I wanted to build a Tornado GR4 (you know, someday) carrying one, and I'd be very grateful for any advice you have.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:19 AM, Procopius said:

There are a couple of different Storm Shadows floating around these days: the Revell one in their 1/72 Eurofighter; the Hasegawa one in their Eurofighter and the European (whoops) weapons set they sell; and the Eduard Brassin one. Does anyone know if these are all equivalent or if one is superior to the others? I wanted to build a Tornado GR4 (you know, someday) carrying one, and I'd be very grateful for any advice you have.

I built the Revell 1/72 Storm Shadow as a free-standing model. It required a bit of work, mostly to make it a flying model, but overall I thought it looked pretty accurate. Maybe with the exception of the rear fuselage, that I made a bit fatter. The decal sheet is very complete. The model's length and body width and height are within 1% of the usually quoted figures of 5.1 m and 630 & 480 mm. I could not find any drawings of the thing.

Rob

storm-22.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I built the Revell 1/72 Storm Shadow as a free-standing model. It required a bit of work, mostly to make it a flying model, but overall I thought it looked pretty accurate. Maybe with the exception of the rear fuselage, that I made a bit fatter. The decal sheet is very complete. The model's length and body width and height are within 1% of the usually quoted figures of 5.1 m and 630 & 480 mm. I could not find any drawings of the thing.

Rob

storm-22.jpg

This one looks very nice! Did ylou open the air intake ss well?

Thanks!

By the way Procopius, last time I checked Britain did not change geo-location.... the continent is called Europe...  or would you not think that Switzerland in within Europe for example? ;)

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

This one looks very nice! Did ylou open the air intake ss well?

Thanks!

Yes, I opened the air intake, but only after I finished the model! Due to a lack of information I initially thought the Storm Shadow had a 'stealth' inlet with facets and a slot, but that was an ejectable cover..  I built an elaborate (but ugly) jig to hold the model safely during the inlet operation, since it was very vulnerable. This approach worked well, and the inlet was modified without damage to the model. And I was able to paint the area without damage to the decals.

storm-21.jpg

Rob

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

wow!

great work and dedication!

just for your info,

in the terminal attack phase, the front fairing is jettisoned and the imaging? seeker exposed

Thanks for the kind words! I did not know about parts being ejected during the terminal attack phase. Would that be the part with the black stripes, or with the white stripes, or maybe both?

storm-22.jpg

Rob

• Like 2

On 15/12/2016 at 6:19 AM, Procopius said:

1) Eduard

2) Revell

3) Hasegawa (a bit too square for my eye)

• Like 1