Sikorsky S-61N G-BEWL

Thanks Dave, it has the same distinctive 'boat' bow, shallow V section hull etc as the N, but the baggage area on the fwd port side fuselage was extended down to allow for the baggage hold apertures and doors.

It can also float, like the N, but unlike that it was for emergency situations (guessing rivers better than open sea!) only, and not designed for prolonged water use.

This shot of the NM 'EB shows the holds well and you can see where the extension is from just aft of the bow,

1063049-large.jpg

From the from the front it isn't so obvious,

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/50970

Great news on making the S-61s as full kits, that might just tempt me to buy one.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As with the Hellcat, I've been avoiding PE, and trying to similarly put off resolving this whole seats-to-wide-for-the-cabin thing.

I did shave down the arm rests a bit, breaking off many of the seats in the process. That's now fixed, but it wasn't enough, so I have done the obvious thing I should have done first and attacked the fuselage sides.

0e9bf6d4-94fb-4dd5-accd-f74d7a1ef3ad.jpg

I also made a token effort at some cockpit PE, and built up the overhead panel and throttles.

b1bf4ca8-4144-409e-a8c9-8990f56cd700.jpg

• Like 7

Glad to see you back on the build Jamie.

I keep going back & playing the video of the 61 starting up and & find myself being transported back to the old east side of Dyce Airport some time in the early 80's. I've just bought a new printer\scanner thingy - must dig through the photos I have from those days and see if I can add some more nostalgia to the build!

• Like 2

Good news about the update kits Dave 

Jamie that was brave, but really necessary to hack away the walls getting somewhere slowly means you get somewhere

James (Chally) did you HAVE to do that to me? Now I'll have to work on the port fuselage or find out one without the flat bottom boat shape to model  :(

Seriously no, I know what I'm going to do so don't fret.

Don't stay up all night worrying if I'll be OK

No really don't

Probably  ;)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Good news about the update kits Dave 

Jamie that was brave, but really necessary to hack away the walls getting somewhere slowly means you get somewhere

James (Chally) did you HAVE to do that to me? Now I'll have to work on the port fuselage or find out one without the flat bottom boat shape to model  :(

Seriously no, I know what I'm going to do so don't fret.

Don't stay up all night worrying if I'll be OK

No really don't

Probably  ;)

Look on the bright side, the plasticard modifications don't need to be symmetrical :D

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've done as much as I intend to do on the cockpit now.

dd6c444d-e981-4dde-ae39-02ab12aa74b4.jpg

dd6c444d-e981-4dde-ae39-02ab12aa74b4.jpg

f5fc13eb-f594-4a9b-ab7b-ba07c9cf398c.jpg

Before the fuselage is closed up though, I thought I'd better tackled the "dinghy door". All of British Airways Helicopters' S-61Ns based in Aberdeen and Sumburgh had the original rear port side door with window replaced with the so-called "dinghy door" fairly early on, so my dad told me and G-BEWL had it. The dinghy door was pretty much what it sounds like - a door without a window which can be jettisoned upon ditching and an inflatable dinghy / life raft pops out. The corresponding seat had to be removed when the dinghy door was fitted as the door carried a large bulge which protruded into the cabin containing the uninflated rubber dinghy!

The Whirlybird conversion contains both types of doors cast in resin, although the dinghy door is a touch too small for the hole and doesn't include the internal dinghy bulge, so I'm doing that myself.

a0487a20-5a55-4082-940a-8a8bda0b7cc1.jpg

68463292-5f30-436f-adee-81fdbf3de2c9.jpg

And filled with white Milliput. That will get a quick sand once cured and glued in place.

3a580fee-f11e-42eb-aeaf-83c2f4340dcb.jpg

I keep checking everything fits and the fuselage closes up. I also like to see how things are progressing overall.

2f1669d0-a51d-41e2-83f3-212af77a1534.jpg

4b6d38b9-571a-407c-80d0-8a5406351e75.jpg

600751ea-3bbd-4964-9082-195c893c6f4a.jpg

• Like 4

I must have been remembering this door wrong - it was curved but the other way round. Back to the drawing board!

resized_7f9344d7-6afd-4687-86d0-48b66516

You can see it at the back on the port side with red straps round the dinghy container

709982.jpg

So, umm, Airfix Canberras. Excellent to have in the spares box. This is twice in as many builds I have decided that these rocket pods are ideal!

resized_5db2bea0-c094-4b24-a359-5dc76bd1

Just chop it up a bit

resized_6d0ec513-a7be-4e89-9f63-4ebbb0e4

... and it's a perfect fit for the door!

resized_4cabd2ca-16a8-444c-a191-4f92c20c

It isn't painted white yet and nor does it have its red straps, but even still it's hardly visible and thus a bit of a waste of time like most of my modelling!

resized_a5ce062c-f8f6-4478-8fac-23f73288

resized_70006941-7fba-4fd4-a1b6-a1b89d95

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

loving this build - God I loved building mine so much that your build really inspires me to pick another one of these up from Roger at Telford later this year. My mate at our Farnborough club is a Scillonian and is in the process of building a Penzance themed S61NM that I passed his way at mates rates 

It makes me so sad to think the fantastic days of the S61n and nm trips over to the Scillies are gone forever. I love the interior you have built and the scratch built rear door - and thanks for adding the interior photo which reminds me of many a happy 20 minutes spent hogging the rear 2 seat bench with my sister - the rear seat gave you a view either side of the chopper and we used to constantly swap seats. Good luck on the remainder of your build - looking forward to seeing it completed in your chosen livery.

of all the kits I've built, its my S61 that I take to shows as my favourite subject, so I am REALLY looking forward to seeing your model completed - as you can see - I dodged the rear door fitting problem by displaying mine with it wide open for a bit of fresh air while on the ground

IMG-20170824-WA0005 (002)

Happy, happy helicopter days

• Like 6

Still love that build!

I might pick up their HH-3E Jolly Green Giant kit this year. If MrsSovereignHobbies lets me!

How did you effect the cabin windows? I had mine out of the box again at the weekend, then put it away to think some more. I have already confirmed (as thought) that film-type glazing such as Humbrol Clearfix isn't going to cut the mustard with this.

I am wondering whether to try casting a Revell cabin window in clear resin to see if that works? I don't really want to buy half a dozen Revell Seakings just to use the injection moulded windows!

P.S. do you want a spare 5 bladed tail rotor?

• Like 2

Delighted to find this build.

I lived in Newlyn and Penzance for 40 years and loved watching these - never ceased to amaze me.

Only been on it a few times, long time ago.

I know you're interest is in BEA and BA, but the later colour schemes did look good too.

Saintsbury put a windsock on the roof of their shop at Eastern Green, but I think it was because navigation charts for the Bay used it for reference, rather than some kind of Memorial to the service.

So, nice one so far. Pleased to see this being built

Shouldn't take long now?!?!

• Like 1