Revell Star Destroyer- Simple Mods

Giving this kit a chance since I've read so much good stuff about it. I started out by gluing all the flappy landing gear in place and filling those in. Pretty straight forward there.

The major mod I did was fix the angle of the bridge. As built, the bridge is parallel to the trench, it should be parallel to the superstructure. I removed the sliver in the picture below. This angles the down just right.

20zy8g4.jpg

Next, I opened this area up so the front of the neck could drop down a bit. Keep in mind that this brings the bridge a bit closer to the superstructure, but it still looks good.

2vrwn7p.jpg

Looks much better so far!

15q6m52.jpg

For this build, I'm only lighting the main engines. I'll keep the tedious fiber optic work for the larger Zvezda kit that's coming my way. So with that, I have the engines wired with 5mm white LEDs.

2q9jv9c.jpg

Stand is also mocked up. The wood base is just temporary for now. I still have to decide what to do with it.

2vs47ic.jpg

All in all pretty happy with this kit. It's growing on me and will tide me over until the Big Z arrives!

2d7h9pu.jpg
2w6ys03.jpg
nxwghz.jpg

Stay tuned for light test tonight. As far as the paint goes, I'm thinking grey primer followed by Tamiya fine white primer. Maybe a dark grey wash to finish it off.

Edited by directorcass
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, SMD70 said:

Looking great.

I'm going to pick one of these up... seems a decent size/ price and easier to find space to display than the big Z kit.

Who cares about space to dispay ,cross that bridge when you get to it ,you could always wall mount it like i will with a hasbro falcon i have got on the bench,,,,when, if ,it gets finished..big z  for me too

Thanks for the comments guys. Here are some shots of the engines lit up. Of course I ditched the included electronics. The engines are lit with 5mm white LEDs mounted in the stock clear blue inserts. This is as far as I'm going with lighting this. I'll save the fiber optics for the Zvezda kit.

eufrz9.jpg

2a91vu1.jpg

t0nfcw.jpg

154wm4x.jpg

• Like 3

Since I stood the antenna up I needed to add some detail to the hole it left behind. I just used some styrene chips and stretched sprue to spruce it up a bit.

28k3rba.jpg

j8ebzl.jpg

Oh, and just a quick comparison between the F-Toys, Armada, and the Revell SD!

25pmovo.jpg

• Like 3

Laid down some Duplicolor primer the other day. Stared the masking this morning. Once that is done I'll shoot it with flat white and remove the masks. Once that is dry I'll shoot it again with flat white to blend the grey panels in.

208uvt4.jpg

10mizb9.jpg

Not screen accurate, just my own whimsy.

2ia39zk.jpg

14ky040.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. The ship is finished except for the base. I haven't uploaded all the pictures yet showing the masks removed and final paint. I'll get that done tonight for you guys and post them up. I think it turned out rather nice myself. If you can get rid of the play features and at least give it a nice paint job, it really looks nice. I am suitably impressed with this Revell kit. And coming from me, that's high praise!

• Like 2