Hurricane and Swordfish - Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED

Vadim

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... ok, I can now show you all the pictures and describe what I did over the last two weeks - painting!

First - I did few coats of primer:

20170316_221108_zpspc6zsaoi.jpg

Then I decided to try something new and applied another primer for further chipping effect. I spent some time reading about british biplanes and it turns out that the primer on canvas was a dark red/rust/brown colour... I tried to mix all three and added few drops of black and then applied on the nose and sides... Followed by Sky on the underside. Then I realized that the nose probably was not covered by canvas but was made of metallic material (alluminium). And then reapplied alluminium primer again:

20170317_220808_zpssjn0mlan.jpg

20170318_164323_zpsaxhbpuf7.jpg

20170318_194214_zpskzr5maiv.jpg

After that I applied a chipping medium, masked the lower section and started to make top canuflage. It took few evenings to make all the masking and apply both colours:20170320_223646_zpsz4afqtqt.jpg

20170320_230109_zpsatqvnmzt.jpg

20170320_230133_zpsyebcukkj.jpg

20170321_174438_zpsnqmzwmsv.jpg

20170322_232753_zpsnrgr1xgl.jpg

20170324_145912_zpsampswamh.jpg

When I finished with the base colours I thought it would be good to add something new. And then I decided to add a piece of canvas from another aircraft similar to one shown on Swordfish pictures I posted before. I masked the area and airbrushed Aged White and then some Green over the masked area. The idea was to sumulate a piece of canvas substituted from another Swordfish. I don't know how convincing thd final result is... But any way I thing for this 1/72 my first attempts with chipping and piece of canvas were a good practise:

20170325_203723_zpsvugcoz8l.jpg

20170325_204359_zpsyfoivdjz.jpg

Here are the final results. Of course everything will be further weathered with oil filters and hopefully will be more realistic than these pictures ;-)

20170325_231639_zps3pvilrwj.jpg

20170325_231654_zps9hntonvc.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/26/2017 at 2:52 AM, dogsbody said:

Swordfish weathering pic:

Thank you for the link Chris. I've seen those. By the way have you seen the pictures I posted on a previous page? Some of them are there. Have you came across any more pictures of weathered Swordfish?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vadim said:

Thank you for the link Chris. I've seen those. By the way have you seen the pictures I posted on a previous page? Some of them are there. Have you came across any more pictures of weathered Swordfish?

Don't know how I missed your previous posting. I'm blaming it my getting old and a bit (more) stunned. I haven't found anymore images of weathered Swordfish but then I was only looking for colour pictures.

Chris

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 10:58 PM, Jaffajake said:

The "spare" piece of linen effect looks really good.

Thanks for your comment mate. I'm still not convinced with it... May be it will be better after weathering...

On 08/03/2017 at 11:43, Vadim said:

This one is my favorite! It shows a piece of canvas replaced from another aircraft with different color scheme: 

I know that I'm coming a bit late to the build, but it amused me to think that patch-up job could possibly be my Granddad's work. He was a coach trimmer before the war (becoming a master upholsterer afterwards) and his wartime job was to repair damaged canvas on string-bags etc.

Very interesting build so far, and excellent result on your Hurricane.

• Like 1

Thanks for kind words mate!

21 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

that patch-up job could possibly be my Granddad's work.

And it is always interesting to know how our hobby links to a real life events! Do you have any materials or internet links to read about his job (or similar)?

Sorry, no I haven't. My granddad would talk about almost anything, but he considered that work was the curse of the drinking classes, so he avoided the subject. I knew he was in a reserved occupation during the war, but only found out last year from my dad, that he patched up string-bags. As he lived about as far from the sea as possible, in Coventry, he was moved around the country to wherever he was needed. He left the wife and kids back at home, but she decided that he was having too much fun without her, so the kids were evacuated to the country and she went to haunt stay with him. No more fun for Arthur (Art). :unamused:

• Like 2

Thanks Adrian for your comments.

On 3/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, AdrianMF said:

What paint did you use for the EDSG/Slate Grey?

When I returned to this hobby I started with Revell and their acrylics. Now I slowly move to Vallejo Air Model but still have lot of Revell Aqua Color. So what I did - I downloaded an instruction for Revell Swordfish from their website and used Revell Aqua Color as they indicated:

EDSG: Greyish Blue 79 (50%) + Tank Grey 78 (50%)

Slate Grey: Greenish Grey 67

Here is another small update... Some final bits before the weathering and rigging

I need to paint and glue these wheels and a hook:

20170401_141610_zpshoasgksv.jpg

The small ladder is in place:

20170401_141712_zpsat6ngte9.jpg

Lower wings are chipped and worn now:

20170401_142627_zpsexg40ncw.jpg

• Like 5

Right... Before rigging the wing I thought it would worth to try on the tail first.

I've glued all the flight control cables - quite an easy task. Then I made the first bracing wire on stab-tail. It took about 10 minutes. Initially I planned to use 0.4mm tubes but I struggled to put 0.2mm thread through and decided to use 0.6 tubes instead. I thought my eyes would pop out of my head while trying to get the thread through the tube. Here is the result:

20170402_221132_zps4tcotln0.jpg

20170402_221024_zpstvmcwx8h.jpg

• Like 7

Another night, another update...

The tail bracing is finished. One penny is just for those who is unfamiliar with 1/72 :wink:

Also I started with the wing. I thought it will be too boring. But I managed to make 4 wires. With such a pace I will need 9 evenings to finish all the rigging... :hmmm:

And then I will definitely switch to 1/48

20170403_230605_zpsoxnn1c1x.jpg

20170403_230621_zpsxq0dsjt1.jpg

Edited by Vadim
  • Like 8