Hurricane and Swordfish - Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED

Vadim

Hey folks, here's another small update. All the wires are connected to the upper wing! Just need to connect two wires on the lower wings and two more wires to the front section of the fuselage. And then everything can be connected.

Here is just one picture for tonight:

20170405_231721_zpsgp1qcqvy.jpg

Edited by Vadim
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! This is just to let you know I didn't drop this build... Simply family and work eat all the time. Even when a free hour appears - I just take a glass of something and stare on my stash...

The progress over the last month - I've managed to install the upper wing:

20170503_223352_zpsjonv16o7.jpg

• Like 3

Just come across this post - great work on the Hurricane and those photos on the first page certainly show that the Hurri was not the clean aircraft so many of thought it was ( compared to the Spitfire, that is). Great progress on the Swordfish and I will interested in your rigging technique.

• Like 1

The rigging is finished!

Here I was installing two final wires. The first wire should go from the lower outer ring to the top inner ring. Another from the lower middle ring to the same top inner ring. I decided to use one wire from the outer ring, then through the top, and back to the lower ring in the middle. You may see those small tubes are freely hanging on the wire, but later I shifted them to the top ring and fixed with cyanoacrylate:

20170512_221650_zpsnpcd5idc.jpg

Here is the final result:

20170512_224524_zpslb73ug5a.jpg

Here you may see the general outlook. Although I think those tubes a little bit overscaled... However it adds some interest to the model and the overall result is pretty good I think. Also I really practiced this technique and may be in future will do another biplane with more complicated rigging scheme but definitely in 1/48 or even 1/32:

20170512_224715_zpsogth1dyu.jpg

Now the most complicated part of the building is finished and I can switch to some final bits:

- Engine/Propeller

- Ordnance/Lights

- Antenna

- Some final weathering strokes (on tyres, propeller, bombs, etc.)

Ah... and my workplace now looks like after a massive shaving :)

20170512_225025_zpsp549p43l.jpg

• Like 8

Good job Vadim, that looks really good!

I agree the tubes look a little big in the close ups but I would imagine they're great from a 'normal' distance; any smaller and you would have driven yourself mad trying to thread the 'wire' through!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 0:12 AM, CedB said:

any smaller and you would have driven yourself mad trying to thread the 'wire' through!

Thanks for your kind words. You are right Ced. I tried to use smaller tubes (0.4 mm) but that was impossible with the thread I got (0.2 mm). May be could manage with a hand magnifier but I don't have any. Thus decided to use 0.6mm tubes.

On 5/13/2017 at 6:53 AM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Just curious, is cyanoacrylate simply superglue? 

Yes, you are right. It's a super glue :) though cyanoacylate sounds more professional :coolio:

And thanks for your nice comments - it's true - I nearly lost my patience. Never do this again in 1/72

Edited by Vadim
  • Like 1

• Vadim changed the title to Hurricane and Swordfish - Airfix 1/72 - nearly finished...

I've decided to rename this topic and get rid of 'Stress relief build' words... The first part with Hurricane was really relaxing... But Swordfish - looking back to the entire process - it's far away from being 'Stress relief'. Actually I became more stressed while doing rigging :wall:

• Like 2

Yesterday I was busy with the bombs and engine cowling.

Bombs are glued, sanded and sprayed in yellow. Propeller tips have been yellow sprayed as well. Engine cowling is masked and painted (in the center of Tamiya table):

20170515_221425_zpsze2t8jtb.jpg

I found a good reference photo to weather bombs:

77dd059f906d633843dbbc90a8f9ac3f_zpsa58j

Also, I decided to add some more interest and made two panels on the engine cowling in different colour, pretending those were replaced from another aircraft dew to damage of original ones.

I used Vallejo Aged White (same as for replaced canvas on the fuselage). The colour has a subtle yellow (aged) effect and looks really as 'aged white':

20170516_080548_zps5zrzq894.jpg

• Like 3

Another small update.

Here you may see all the final bits are ready for painting in black and bombs require some yellow on the inside (where cocktail sticks were used for the first coat):

20170516_221059_zpsjxvvr7am.jpg

Engine is ready to be installed. It's waiting for the propeller. I used flory models wash (black) as was a little bit lazy to make an oil one:

20170516_221448_zps7up0jzfc.jpg

And this was the last airbrush painting session for this model. Only final satin coat remains when everything will be glued in place and weathered:

20170516_224325_zps1nlbdktv.jpg

• Like 6

Hoorah! Now I can consider this one as finished.

It took several days to fix all the final bits. Then I realised that few touch ups are required here and there. Then machine gun with a tiny sight... then landing lights... I thought it will never end...

However at some point you should stop. And here are few quick shots made on mobile unless I do a proper photo session of both 'Sparks of Liberation' (Hurri and Stringbag) for RFI:

20170523_222553_zps7q4qnqtq.jpg

20170523_223059_RichtoneHDR_zpss51szvue.

20170523_223144_RichtoneHDR_zpsgpaqrwip.

20170523_223257_RichtoneHDR_zpsrrfkjoik.

20170523_223624_RichtoneHDR_zpslddx0d2j.

20170523_223924_RichtoneHDR_zpshjuvszoa.

20170523_223951_RichtoneHDR_zpss5f8ewyy.

• Like 9

• Vadim changed the title to Hurricane and Swordfish - Airfix 1/72 - FINISHED

Very nice Swordfish. The weathering is excellent and the detailing is marvellous. I'm always surprised about how chipped and worn bombs look - you would think people would be more careful with them!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Very nice. I like the weathering. If I may be allowed to state one small dislike, it's the rather bright copper/bronze of the exhaust collector ring and pipes. In reality, these would be heat-stained steel. You can see what I mean be looking on GOOGLE for images of restored and flyable Swordfish and Gladiators.

Other than that, a superb build!

Chris

Thank you all guys for your kind words!

On 5/23/2017 at 11:50 PM, CedB said:

Very nice Vadim - those details are superb, well done Sir! :) 

Thanks Ced. I was really tired of this build which I though would be a quick one. But couldn't drop it unless all details are there :)

On 5/24/2017 at 6:26 AM, rob85 said:

That looks excellent! A really nice finish, every thing looks just right.

Thanks Rob

On 5/24/2017 at 9:01 AM, AdrianMF said:

I'm always surprised about how chipped and worn bombs look - you would think people would be more careful with them!

True! Especially when you see how they keep them prior to fitting onto an aircraft :)

On 5/24/2017 at 9:42 AM, PZRGREN said:

A work of art!!  I have to aim for this level of quality when doing rigging now!

Thanks mate! The only downside of such rigging - it takes ages to complete :)

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Absolutely brilliant. That rigging is something else. It's been a pleasure to follow along.

Thank you Johnny! Your builds are also always a pleasure :)  It's interesting that despite of the fact that rigging took really long time and I was mad about it... Now I'm thinking of making another one, probably later this year and probably in 1/32 :)

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Very nice. I like the weathering. If I may be allowed to state one small dislike, it's the rather bright copper/bronze of the exhaust collector ring and pipes. In reality, these would be heat-stained steel. You can see what I mean be looking on GOOGLE for images of restored and flyable Swordfish and Gladiators.

Thank you Chris! Yes you are right, and I agree it should look more faded. And to be honest I knew that. I'll try to do something with it... May be pigments or oils. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. 

I came back to my Swordfish yesterday night to deal with this too shiny collector...

I used some pigments and then blended with few oil drops... Have a look. Does it look better?

On 5/25/2017 at 2:18 AM, dogsbody said:

In reality, these would be heat-stained steel. You can see what I mean be looking on GOOGLE for images of restored and flyable Swordfish and Gladiators.

Hey Chris, @dogsbody do you think now is better or it still requires some work? :)

20170615_225620_zpsjzw6u15n.jpg

• Like 3