USS Harriet Lane

Harriet Lane was a revenue cutter of the United States Revenue Cutter Service and, on the outbreak of the American Civil War, a ship of the United States Navy and later Confederate States Navy. The craft was named after the niece of senator and later United States President, James Buchanan; during his presidency, she acted as First Lady. The cutter was christened and entered the water for the Revenue Service in 1859 out of New York City, and saw action during the Civil War at Fort Sumter, New Orleans, Galveston, Texas, and Virginia Point and was captured by the Confederates in 1863, whereupon she was converted to a trade ship. She was promptly recaptured by the Union forces, declared unfit for service, sold, and rechristened the Elliot Ritchie out of Philadelphia, only to be abandoned at sea in 1881. (Wikipedia)

It was a fun little project, nothing added to it.

Lindberg 1/124, it's 20cm long.

T/care.

Jesse

DSC00138_zpskev27cq7.jpg

DSC00141_zpsvprznziq.jpg

DSC00142_zpsh1njwlcc.jpg

DSC00143_zps19xamkzf.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks, missing only one of the sails that were involved in the civil war. Since I have two of the Kearsarge, I will try to trade one of them for the Alabama, I know it is a pale copy of the Kearsarge from what I read but with the after market gun kit, it will at least have the right armement.

Jesse

Another finished kit I rarely see and also have in my stash, thank you Jesse! 

A nice clean finish on this kit, you've done a great job and it has turned out very well out of the box considering its age (it was once a Pyro kit) 

It's lovely to see a transitional maritime model, as most commonly maritime models are either firmly in the age of sail or firmly in the age of the engine. 

If I recall correctly this actually measures out closer to 1/144 scale, which would be the reason I purchased it myself, so it's great for displaying in constant scale :-) 

Regards,

Sam 

4 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

Another finished kit I rarely see and also have in my stash, thank you Jesse! 

A nice clean finish on this kit, you've done a great job and it has turned out very well out of the box considering its age (it was once a Pyro kit) 

It's lovely to see a transitional maritime model, as most commonly maritime models are either firmly in the age of sail or firmly in the age of the engine. 

If I recall correctly this actually measures out closer to 1/144 scale, which would be the reason I purchased it myself, so it's great for displaying in constant scale :-) 

Regards,

Sam 

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the input. I got real interested by that period so I got a few more to built and if I'm not mistaken, some of these are suppose to be quite rare, may be you could shed some light on that.

Pourquoi Pas 1/100

Discovery 1/144

Imai Susquehanna 1/150

Imai Napoléon 1/150

USS Kearsarge 1/96 (2)

I really like Imai, working on the Nippon Maru 1/150 and it is a very nice kit.

I read some where that the Alabama was a copy of the Kearsarge so if this is true, I could then keep it and just get the after market gun kit. That makes sence?

T/care

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jesse,

Beautiful build. You are right, the model and the history behind it.

The technical details, the builders and so on.

Regards, Orion/The Netherlands.

This is a nicely finished model of an interesting subject. Certainly has a lot of history packed into one ship from the momentus Civil War, but in a wider sense, as mentioned above, nice to see a model from this major era of transition between sale and steam.

Thanks, I like what I call "my hybrids'' series, it's in my point of view a major turning point in the naval world and as you saw I have a few of them. I will soon post the Nippon Maru much younger but has the same charm.

Jesse

On 20/12/2016 at 1:09 AM, Jesse1 said:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the input. I got real interested by that period so I got a few more to built and if I'm not mistaken, some of these are suppose to be quite rare, may be you could shed some light on that.

Pourquoi Pas 1/100

Discovery 1/144

Imai Susquehanna 1/150

Imai Napoléon 1/150

USS Kearsarge 1/96 (2)

I really like Imai, working on the Nippon Maru 1/150 and it is a very nice kit.

I read some where that the Alabama was a copy of the Kearsarge so if this is true, I could then keep it and just get the after market gun kit. That makes sence?

T/care

Jesse

Hi Jesse, 

You certainly have some interesting and rare kits there. 

The Imai 1/150 ships are particularly rare and sought after, the Napoléon usually sells for about 200GBP ! Most of them have been out of production for a couple of decades at least and they were never exported out of Japan in high volume. The smaller scale Imai sailing ships are much more common.

A lot of the Imai stuff is great, being vintage and generally of very good quality for it's time combined with very unusual subjects not covered elsewhere, such as the Galeass and some bizzare ancient  Asian warships. 

The Airfix Discovery is meant to be a great kit, it seems to have been sold in much lower quantities than their other 1/144 ships, quite rare, I have been after one for ages... (I have the 1/144 St Louis and the 1/144 Revenge from the same era which are both fantastic for their age) The only 1/144 ship of that range they still produce is the Wasa which has a more modern Revell 1/150 alternative, which by all accounts is a much more accurate model. 

I know less about the other two kits as my focus has been on maritime kits in 1/150-1/144 scale, such that all my models can be displayed together. 

Best Regards,

Sam 

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your input. I came across the Napoleon by pure chance, someone posted a ship on e/bay, but put the picture of the Napoleon by mistake! That's when I became aware of it, as you can imagine, the next day the picture was changed. I started looking for it, but it was no were to be found so I took a chance to send an e/mail to a guy in Russia that had sold me a rare one a few weeks before and he said he would ''look around'' and about three weeks later,  he sent me a message saying that he had one, brand new still in plastic wrap! Go figure!

He asked 340$ US for it, but I figured it was reasonable. Just a pity that Imai stopped producing these, they are very nice kits.

Jesse

• 1 month later...

Hello,
A beautiful achievement. I share your interest for these hybrid ships.
In order to make me "interresting" I am the happy owner of the Napoleon (in stock) of the CSS Alabama (in stock) and the "Pourquoi pas" Heller (in editing).
Congratulations again for this beautiful achievement.
Marc

17 hours ago, phoscar said:

Hello,
A beautiful achievement. I share your interest for these hybrid ships.
In order to make me "interresting" I am the happy owner of the Napoleon (in stock) of the CSS Alabama (in stock) and the "Pourquoi pas" Heller (in editing).
Congratulations again for this beautiful achievement.
Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the comments, working on the Discovery and proving to be a bit of a challenge. Next two in line are the Great Western and Great Eastern. Very weird story about that one.

Jesse

2 hours ago, Rwa66 said:

Great job, Extremely well done.

Regards Richard

Thanks Richard.

Jesse

• Like 1