MFH metal parts prep.

Borez

OK, I'm thinking about taking the plunge and buying the MFH 917K 1/24th for my next build.

Just want to consult Britmodeller's ever throbbing brain on the prep you guys use for the metal part on these kits. Do you use special primers etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Also anyone here actually built the MFH 917K 1/24th? I'm still on the fence whether to build this kit or just go with the Fujimi and upgrade/scratch it.

For my last multi media kit I used all pretty standard stuff, halfords grey primer then zero paints Base coat and clears over that. The metal parts will need cleaning up with some wet and dry and possibly some filling if the parts aren't great but nothing to hard.

Shaun 

• Like 1

You can use a magnetic tumbler/polisher for preparing the metal parts, however they aren't cheap. Otherwise, just use sanding sponges, files, sandpaper and good old fashioned elbow grease. It will take longer to prepare the parts, but the end result will be the same or thereabouts. 

Depends what you want from a kit. The MFH kits are nice, but expensive in my opinion. Personally I'd save some money and get the Fujimi kit and just detail it up to a good standard, but it's your choice..

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Like 1

I am new to MFH kits but I purchased a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and I feel that purchase was productive.  I have run a number of parts through it and found a fair amount of grime came off the parts.  I organized the parts based upon build stage and started running the engine parts through the cleaner.  It seems like it helps.  Then I will polish the parts that should be shine.

Edited by cbk57
  • Like 1

I've found white metal a real pain in the backside, I used to paint metal figures from 15-75mm and would chip even with a light knock.

I now generally clean up the parts with a wire brush and wash in soapy water then just give a straight gloss varnish for a bear metal finish. If it's a painted finish, Halfords do an Etching Primer which seems to adhere a lot better than a straight primer, it stinks to high heaven but I think it's worth it.

Without stating the obvious, I think the main thing is to treat any metal parts with care during and after painting.

Regards

John

• Like 1

On 16/12/2016 at 8:50 PM, cbk57 said:

I purchased a cheap ultrasonic cleaner

To be honest, whilst an ultrasonic cleaner will indeed clean the parts. It won't actually prepare them at all. A magnetic tumbler, although expensive, will actually remove a very fine layer of material and polish the surface to remove minor seams and imperfections. More of a 'paint ready' surface if you like.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

To be honest, whilst an ultrasonic cleaner will indeed clean the parts. It won't actually prepare them at all. A magnetic tumbler, although expensive, will actually remove a very fine layer of material and polish the surface to remove minor seams and imperfections. More of a 'paint ready' surface if you like.

Those magnetic tumblers ain't cheap though, I may forego this particular route ;)

Edited by Borez

I actually purchased both, I want to leave some of the parts on my project in the natural unfinished state as it resembles oxidized aluminum.  So on those I just use the ultrasonic cleaner.  On parts I want polished I use the polisher, all of the parts need cleaned or polished to prepare them for paint, adhesive or solder.  

I may be better to run everything through a polisher, but I don't know, one of the posters above pointed out that it removes minor seams and imperfections. I think one needs to evaluate each part and use the right tool.  You do not have to have a polisher but it does help.  These are expensive kits so one mights as well buy the right tools for the job.