P39/P-400 Air-a-cutie, 1/32, Revell

Vadim

Hello everyone!

Here is… after 7 months I finally finished my first 1/32 model. It was my wife’s present to my birthday (she simply liked the nose art, and I do too J). So, I didn’t want to disappoint her and put all my efforts to make this model as good as possible.

I tried to show this famous Air-a-cutie hard weathered in its condition prior to be repainted in her final known “white tail livery” J

The only available pictures show different nose arts thus there are lot of opinions either there were one or more Air-a-cuties. Another thing which still produces lot of debates – is it P-39 or P-400?..

Another feature of the build was an IFF SCR-535 set with installed antennas - Thanks to the US Army CECOM Historical Office who provided me a full operational manual.

I used photoetched parts for the cockpit and planned to install brass armament but was so tired in the end of building process… and decided just to put those simple plastic parts from the box. But it would definitely improve the model appearance. May be next time J

Also, I admit the final result is not ideal, but I learnt lot of good practices and would like to thank all of those modellers who supported me during this build.

The entire building process can be seen here: 

DSC_1330_zps03urlofq.jpg

DSC_1332_zpsjr2ptq9b.jpg

DSC_1344_zpsjtxgcuik.jpg

DSC_1348_zpszcuzibkw.jpg

DSC_1349_zpsi6qjjsks.jpg

DSC_1352_zpsf6mtcmm7.jpg

DSC_1359_zpsht4vgxke.jpg

DSC_1362_zpsvax5zsw5.jpg

DSC_1364_zpsjo2tm5sp.jpg

DSC_1371_zpsr9ohafgz.jpg

DSC_1376_zpsvzv08zb0.jpg

DSC_1380_zpszymrjg2o.jpg

DSC_1381_zpsyrz934xw.jpg

DSC_1394_zps1pvrdjrm.jpg

DSC_1398_zpsuc06zkwt.jpg

DSC_1405_zpszgr0dtcf.jpg

DSC_1407_zpsjzvvoqeh.jpg

DSC_1427_zpst4vurca0.jpg

DSC_1428_zpsieibgz1z.jpg

DSC_1429_zps5bmrldso.jpg

DSC_1435_zpsui7pc4kh.jpg

Edited by Vadim
  • Like 31

Thank you very much (to all of you) for all your kind words! I am very pleased to read all these comments!

There was a question about main gear doors:

2 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Is there any particular reason why the main gear doors are missing?

Yes, available Air-a-cutie pictures show no main gear doors. As I know, it was a quite common practice in New Guinea as those doors prevented to easily pull airplanes out of the mud on the airfields. If someone knows another reason please share your thoughts here.

2_zps4eajnmjv.jpg

3_zpsmylqonvd.jpg

6_zpsbskr69fo.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texan76 said:

Excellent work! Question, for the overall dirty appearance, did you use oils, pigments?

Thanks for your kind words mate!

Yes, you are right, the overall dirty appearance made by oils. However I did it in few steps: panel lines wash, panel fading with oil dots, then stains and leakage, then few oil filters to blend all the effects.

I didn't make step by step pictures of each stage, just these two :) :

20161113_213705_zpsfd8yfbou.jpg

20161104_223047_zpsnenm2klh.jpg

23 hours ago, Vadim said:

Thank you very much (to all of you) for all your kind words! I am very pleased to read all these comments!

There was a question about main gear doors:

Yes, available Air-a-cutie pictures show no main gear doors. As I know, it was a quite common practice in New Guinea as those doors prevented to easily pull airplanes out of the mud on the airfields. If someone knows another reason please share your thoughts here.

2_zps4eajnmjv.jpg

3_zpsmylqonvd.jpg

6_zpsbskr69fo.jpg

Fascinating!  It's always good to learn things like this!

• Like 1