Super Mystere B.2 / Sambad / Sa´ar

petr@SpecialHobby

Special Hobby is pleased to announce their new and top-quality take on the iconic French cold war jet fighter, the Super Mystere B.2 plane, in both the original French version and the improved Israeli with ex-A4 Skyhawk engine and longer rear section installed in order to avoid or at least minimize the damage by enemy´s anti-aircraft missiles.

You are welcomed to visit our blog to see more rendered pictures of the 3D design.

http://www.specialhobby.info/2016/11/we-are-preparing-smb-2-super-mystere-172.html

SMB%2010_zps2ftljvlw.jpg

SMB%2002_zps9opfh9ep.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great - is the top rear section of the intake trunking removed just for visibility to show the engine face off? :)

I'd like to think that will keep Homebee quiet for a while, but now he'll just hassle you for the release date! :lol:

Very nice, and announced just as I am about to cement the two fuselage halves of my latest build, a SMB2 Sa'ar, ;)

I'm just finishing my Emhar Fury but no sign of a new moulding from anyone :(....

Martin

Petre,

will it it come with a full set of underwing stores, including those for the Sa'ar? And a MB seat for a Honduran machine?

martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 13/12/2016 at 11:36 AM, petr@SpecialHobby said:

Special Hobby is pleased to announce their new and top-quality take on the iconic French cold war jet fighter, the Super Mystere B.2 plane, in both the original French version and the improved Israeli with ex-A4 Skyhawk engine and longer rear section installed in order to avoid or at least minimize the damage by enemy´s anti-aircraft missiles.

Well, this is not 100% true.

The PW J-52 was indeed the same engine used for the Skyhawk, but why ex-skyhawk?

The main reason behind the upgrade was the end of the French Era for the IDF, and therefore the end of technical support.

J-52 did fit the bill to replace the ATAR, and I don't believe the rule was to use ex-skyhawk engines, as new one were available.

The longer fuselage was just needed to fit the J-52 (with 300kg less than the ATAR) to keep the CG in the same place, and the fact that the longer exhaust gave the aircraft a better chance against a SAM was only an added bonus discovered much later, and then only with IR missiles.

Out of 25 SMB2 available at the beginning of the war october war of 1973, only(!) six were lost, but some survived an IR missile hit thanks to the longer exhaust. This is why the Skyhawk underwent a crash program to get the modification done, as they were suffering very high losses.

If this had been known before, then the mod would have been made much early.

Edited by Antoine

Martin,

Yep, we definitely plan to equip the model with all the stuff you have mentioned. We are happy to be able to collaborate on this project both with colleagues from Israel where the Sa´ar machine is preserved in their museum and also with some guys from France.  Got already much help from them for which we are very thankful.

10 hours ago, Antoine said:

Well, this is not 100% true.

The PW J-52 was indeed the same engine used for the Skyhawk, but why ex-skyhawk?

The main reason behind the upgrade was the end of the French Era for the IDF, and therefore the end of technical support.

J-52 did fit the bill to replace the ATAR, and I don't believe the rule was to use ex-skyhawk engines, as new one were available.

The longer fuselage was just needed to fit the J-52 (with 300kg less than the ATAR) to keep the CG in the same place, and the fact that the longer exhaust gave the aircraft a better chance against a SAM was only an added bonus discovered much later, and then only with IR missiles.

Out of 25 SMB2 available at the beginning of the war october war of 1973, only(!) six were lost, but some survived an IR missile hit thanks to the longer exhaust. This is why the Skyhawk underwent a crash program to get the modification done, as they were suffering very high losses.

If this had been known before, then the mod would have been made much early.

Forgot to say:

I'm Happy!!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...