- SUKHOI Su 24 - 1/48 - TRUMPETER

IPMS19

- I have been able to get this kit which is available with great difficulties and at heavy cost,  I bought too the whole range of KOMPLEKT ZIP correction resin kits for this kit which is not so perfect it promise to be. The main perfectible area are around the nose and rear fuselage.I want to use the Neomega cockpit set which is said to fit the K.Z  kit .;

Well I'm going to begin the job but before I have to wake up Sir Tom my  technical adviser in modelling

20161202_165834_resized_zpsjanemqxb.jpg

• Like 11

- That is what I will try to pack in the Trumpy

005_zpsopdthcbk.jpg

- The reference 48006 cope with the rear fuselage, including the rear parts of the engine

- The reference 48005 is much more problematic owing to the canopy conception . the opening doors have an excellent inside detailing, better than the kit ones

003_zpsm78h30dx.jpg

but the problem comes from the vac-formed glazing., owiing  the proper nature of this kind of moulding it is useless., soft moulded,no details, ( rivets, structure lines, ..  ,its  lack of thickness which preclude showing the canopy open, difficult to set in place and cement ....so....and ...so

002_zpsk5yp91ki.jpg

The only solution is to use the kit's  windscreen and petals  which needs to be adapted to the resin cockpit fuselage sides.at a cost of a few surgeonnery;showing  cockpit petals opened make the possible error less conspicious ..

,  What is damageable is that the first series of moulding of this reference had resin clear parts, this was enough to justify the heavy cost of the kit, not the vac formed one; .....bad advertising.........

- The radar nose is a solid resin block which suppress the need for balance  weight to avoid having a tail sitter, if you choose to show the radar in the open or even the canopy closed or simply does want to have quiet sleeping nights don't use this kit, its vac formed glazing is a mess. I'm a bit anxious for the coming steps. ....I cannot translate what my adviser think of this.........!!!!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

great!

another one of these beasts!

hope to learn a lot from you!

have one waiting with lots of goodies on the cupboard as well..... really a big box!

- Had a safe return journey from Cholet ?

Great project IPMS! Chemodan (suit case) is a very impressive aircraft. You seem to have four helping hands ... pawls already available at the production line:). Have you seen the video showing two SU-24s making very low fly pasts over an American cruiser in the Baltic Sea?

There is plenty of work to do if you want an accurate model. Here are some details I noticed during the build:

- In-Flight Refueling Probe doesn't fit properly; the recess is far too large.

- The rolled "Flash Curtain" is missing from the top of the instrument panel

- The nose gear doesn't fit; The bay doors are fully closed when the aircraft is on the ground.

- There is no proper air intake funnels

- "Kaira-24" seeker under the nose is out of shape and of wrong size

- The fuselage spine is badly out shape; Plasticard and Milliput needed

- The main landing gear is wrong; compare with photos

- Fuselage surface detailing is wrong; many hatches are pure guess work

- Wing surface details are out of shape and of wrong size (slats and flaps especially)

This kit contains over 600 parts but still you can't find the most common weapons load (4 x FAB-500 aerial bombs) from the box. Here can find photos of my build in a Finnish modelling site. I hope they help you to decide what to do and what to ignore. http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_11714/

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Great project IPMS! Chemodan (suit case) is a very impressive aircraft. You seem to have four helping hands ... pawls already available at the production line:). Have you seen the video showing two SU-24s making very low fly pasts over an American cruiser in the Baltic Sea?

There is plenty of work to do if you want an accurate model. Here are some details I noticed during the build:

- In-Flight Refueling Probe doesn't fit properly; the recess is far too large.

- The rolled "Flash Curtain" is missing from the top of the instrument panel

- The nose gear doesn't fit; The bay doors are fully closed when the aircraft is on the ground.

- There is no proper air intake funnels

- "Kaira-24" seeker under the nose is out of shape and of wrong size

- The fuselage spine is badly out shape; Plasticard and Milliput needed

- The main landing gear is wrong; compare with photos

- Fuselage surface detailing is wrong; many hatches are pure guess work

- Wing surface details are out of shape and of wrong size (slats and flaps especially)

This kit contains over 600 parts but still you can't find the most common weapons load (4 x FAB-500 aerial bombs) from the box. Here can find photos of my build in a Finnish modelling site. I hope they help you to decide what to do and what to ignore. http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_11714/

Best Regards,

Antti

- Kittos Antti

• Like 1

On 13/12/2016 at 13:18, IPMS19 said:

:huh: A ballsy modeller! Isn't there a risk that Sir Tom would nibble at the styrene bits?

Me would be scared...

I've been seriously givin' thought to gettin' both this kit + the whole Komplekt Zip meal. Quite a clever idea to substitute the kit windshield for the KZ vac-form one.

Question arises; how hard would it be to trim out the vac-form windows to then glue 'em onto the resin petals? 

Seen that the resin clear pieces were a tad opaque, or so to speak.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

:huh: A ballsy modeller! Isn't there a risk that Sir Tom would nibble at the styrene bits?

Me would be scared...

I've been seriously givin' thought to gettin' both this kit + the whole Komplekt Zip meal. Quite a clever idea to substitute the kit windshield for the KZ vac-form one.

Question arises; how hard would it be to trim out the vac-form windows to then glue 'em onto the resin petals? 

Seen that the resin clear pieces were a tad opaque, or so to speak.

- I wished using your solution , had the part been issued in two exemplaries I should have tried it but  with only one piece there is no place for the slightly mistake so, I've thought about inserting a conviniently shaped clear plastic but the resin parts are very thin as are the clear plasitic insert rendering the setting and cementing very difficult. I tried also using kitchen clear foil wraping it around the whole resin parts but it doesn't work too .now ,for the windscreen ,, the lack of thickness of the vac part requires to create artificially this thickness of the arch and central frame, with the same mistake risk so I think  that I will use the kit parts after some adapting job on the resin fuselage. which doesn't look too difficult  the cost is some  shape error.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2016 at 15:02, IPMS19 said:

- Don't trust it, it knows what it wants.......and I have to follow its "suggestions"

Looks like a screen still from the goodies movie 😆 he looks hungry,!

Hi, 

i'm building Su-24 with KZ parts too. I cut canopy doors off and super clued inner resin parts on. Then i scribed and riveted the outer parts of canopy. I think it looks good. I used CA and kicker for filling caps between clear and resin parts.

Janne

• Like 3

On 15/12/2016 at 3:56 PM, Janne said:

I cut canopy doors off and super clued inner resin parts on. Then i scribed and riveted the outer parts of canopy. I think it looks good. I used CA and kicker for filling caps between clear and resin parts.

Hi, Janne! :bye:

Ya might as well show us how yer work went, like; it seems to me to be the best solution. Still haven't received my KZ sets, so I'm just watchin' 'n' guessin' here. How is one supposed to graft the vac-form canopy to the resin petals otherwise? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Ya might as well show us how yer work went, like; it seems to me to be the best solution. Still haven't received my KZ sets, so I'm just watchin' 'n' guessin' here. How is one supposed to graft the vac-form canopy to the resin petals otherwise? 

I post some pictures tomorrow or sunday. I still havent painted them, but masking is done.

it was quite easy job and took me about an hour.

• Like 2

- The problem  of the day is how to use the vac form parts for the cockpit doors petals .Reading Janne post  I tried to experimentaly his solution cutting the vac formed part .

- So I cut as cleanly as possible the clear parts and cement them using C.A glue . The problem was far bigger in my mind that is has been on the ground

007_zps0wei5onv.jpg

008_zpsjslmfbs7.jpg

006_zpsgpcenx1f.jpg

- I just have now some trimming job ,  masking , trimming,to match the resin parts detailing and painting but I'm very relieved to have overcomed this problem .The next is to see what to be done with the windscreen frames

• Like 4

21 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- The problem  of the day is how to use the vac form parts for the cockpit doors petals .Reading Janne post  I tried to experimentaly his solution cutting the vac formed part .

- So I cut as cleanly as possible the clear parts and cement them using C.A glue . The problem was far bigger in my mind that is has been on the ground

- I just have now some trimming job ,  masking , trimming,to match the resin parts detailing and painting but I'm very relieved to have overcomed this problem .The next is to see what to be done with the windscreen frames

That is how i did it. Then i just polished clear parts inside and outside and masked it.

Have you test fitted the windscreen to the airframe yet? Seems to me it needs lot of filler.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, Janne said:

I post some pictures tomorrow or sunday. I still havent painted them, but masking is done.

it was quite easy job and took me about an hour.

Awlrighty then, Janne! :clap:When ya're good 'n' ready, my mate. Thanks!

7 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

The next is to see what to be done with the windscreen frames

Glad Janne's advice worked out fine. :blink2: Oh? Thought ya said ya were usin' the kit windshield instead. Or is there any difference between the KZ vac-form windshield 'n' the kit one shapeways?

• Like 2

On 16.12.2016 at 9:54 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

There you go. Some photos of my work. If i have time i try to paint inner parts this evening.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

I think it looks quite nice, there might be some filling to do but not too much. 

Janne

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Janne said:

There you go. Some photos of my work. If i have time i try to paint inner parts this evening.

I think it looks quite nice, there might be some filling to do but not too much. 

Janne

- It looks good, mine have still to be riveted

12 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Awlrighty then, Janne! :clap:When ya're good 'n' ready, my mate. Thanks!

Glad Janne's advice worked out fine. :blink2: Oh? Thought ya said ya were usin' the kit windshield instead. Or is there any difference between the KZ vac-form windshield 'n' the kit one shapeways?

- There is some difference of shape between the kit part and the vac formed one added to the thickness

003_zpsbhbqjxfv.jpg

-The vac part is not trimmed yet, for the canopy petal I've misjudged KZ vac parts .I had so many bad surprise with that kind of material that I've put KZ parts in the same bag......actually, I'm rather statisfied with the result I got. for sure without Janne experience I certainly not  have tried the game

• Like 3

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:19 AM, Janne said:

:clap:That's awesome, Janne; thanks a lot, my mate! I think it looks superb! Very clever, as well. I take it that KZ instructions read that one is s'pposed to glue the vac-form windows on the outer side of 'em resin petals, right? Can't wait to have those KZ sets in my hands. Bad news is I'll have to get the Trumpy Fencer from 'em Far East.

Listenin' to the old Nightwish right now, when Tarja was still in 'em band. :crying:   

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, IPMS19 said:

- There is some difference of shape between the kit part and the vac formed one added to the thickness

003_zpsbhbqjxfv.jpg

-The vac part is not trimmed yet, for the canopy petal I've misjudged KZ vac parts .I had so many bad surprise with that kind of material that I've put KZ parts in the same bag......actually, I'm rather statisfied with the result I got. for sure without Janne experience I certainly not  have tried the game

Oh, me sees. Thank ye for postin' that piccie too! So, ya're usin' 'em vac-form windshield anyways or nay?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:clap:That's awesome, Janne; thanks a lot, my mate! I think it looks superb! Very clever, as well. I take it that KZ instructions read that one is s'pposed to glue the vac-form windows on the outer side of 'em resin petals, right? Can't wait to have those KZ sets in my hands. Bad news is I'll have to get the Trumpy Fencer from 'em Far East.

Listenin' to the old Nightwish right now, when Tarja was still in 'em band. :crying:   

Oh, me sees. Thank ye for postin' that piccie too! So, ya're usin' 'em vac-form windshield anyways or nay?

- I didn't still decide which windscreen I'll use, I have to trim the vac-form part and think about the better way to make a realistic  frame without damaging the clear parts

- About these parts, I had contacted Linden Hill Import by mail about  the former clear resin parts. their answer is that, had KZ keep on with these resin parts, the cost of the transkit could have risen to 40% more .

• Like 1