VW Caddy Mk1

Cooper645

Ok, so there have been no updates for a while as the house has been slowly getting packed ready for the move...still no date confirmed though.

Any how, excuses aside, back to the Caddy.

Only a small update, have been working on some the extras in the engine bay, battery and general painting of details.

The bulk of time has been spent trying to get the pipework sorted for the FMIC which has now been done, also the engine has received a first coat of colour.

So here are a couple of pictures showing the piping and the mock up so far.

j3Tyt5GsGJm25zC1SHAxCPpcScMcukdlJoFp_VAh

And from an angle....

7TFz8O0UZd3thw81Ea8arOwiP3IQ1xUQMm0neCBj

Still bloody loads to do and then finally get it all glued in, took ages to get it together for the mock up, so will be glad to get the engine bay finished.

Thanks for stopping by as always, and I welcome any criticism or comments.

Coops

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Engine bay looks nice and busy - wouldn't want to have to work in that space even on 1:1!

Roger

Indeed, not much room at all, and I'm adding extra stuff in :rage:

Still, a little update, I manage to sand back some body parts an re primer them ready for some colour soon.  Also made headway on the odd engine component or two with paint, decals and clear coating.  Have started on the door card details, but the bulk of time has been spent on the engine.  Have now got it mostly painted, decals in place. I still need to clear coat and add wiring yet, but the FMIC piping is all bent to shape, and polished ready.  Have mocked the engine up for your viewing pleasure.

Any comments / criticism are always welcomed,

Coops

cIWAjC-SsNVVwH1f_-4oW6nHPsNOTIZFl60VlNBj

• Like 4

Thanks @Marco F. , happy to have you along for the journey. 

So to update what has gone on today, the engine has received a clear coat along with a few other finished bits and pieces.

Next up was to get the rear end underside sorted.  So I began with a mock up of the parts:

kZjJbjWbN8ui0G_Tp63DJRqhY3eyhIVwbN-hZK0T

Thes have now been primed and painted also, no photos as they are covered up drying out. 

Also decided to start looking at the side windows, here they are masked up ready to be dremelled.

Vg2j26s-o1GvRLph3a2t1ARgWe7MecH2DL-qae_U

after a minute with the Dremel and 4 minutes with the sanding block:

2 fitting side windows...

2f1Y7VpjX2Hm4A41eM-6eocbJ8NKct1m7-xwR8GE6I6LIntQo9hW7qL9hN1xNppPXWDtxCFkvYvs4XIg

The box of painted and lacquered parts is filling up nicely, it may be time to get some assemblies together soon.

My aim is to complete the engine bay, the interior, the rear end and underside, the body and then bring it all together before adding final touches.

Whether or not this plan will work we are yet to see, but a plan it is.

Thanks for stopping by for a nosey, comments and criticism welcomed as always,

Coops

• Like 3

Wow what a cool build, never knew anybody did a transkit of something so mundane as a caddy.

One point of critcism, the exhaust and turbo plumbing look a bit weedy, for a turbo that size the piping would be in 2.5 to 3.0 in range.

Edited by Bozothenutter

20 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Wow what a cool build, never knew anybody did a transkit of something so mundane as a caddy.

One point of critcism, the exhaust and turbo plumbing look a bit weedy, for a turbo that size the piping would be in 2.5 to 3.0 in range.

Cheers for pointing this out @Bozothenutter, I may have to now revisit the whole plumbing.  Have checked and 2.5 to 3 inches comes in at 2.65mm to 3.17mm in this scale. 

Looks as as though I will be getting some thicker tubing. Going to be bloody tight getting it all in now 😋

10 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Cheers for pointing this out @Bozothenutter, I may have to now revisit the whole plumbing.  Have checked and 2.5 to 3 inches comes in at 2.65mm to 3.17mm in this scale. 

Looks as as though I will be getting some thicker tubing. Going to be bloody tight getting it all in now 😋

sorry 'bout that.....me and my big mouth......

No problem, considering it will be the build I have spent most time and money on to date I may as well get it right 👍🏼

Wont be any progress on this for next week at least as I’m away from the bench, and hopefully moving house, so it will go quiet for a while but be rest assured I will be back at the earliest opportunity. 

Just found your build thread, the conversion looks very interesting. Brings back memories of my 1800 GTI back in the mid '80's. We were the first country (South Africa) to get the 1800 motors in a four dood body, what a little rocket. We too had lots of the VW Caddy, plus the Nissan 1400 SWB and a great looking locally produced Toyota TUV.

I'll watch with interest.

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@heloman1 pleased to have you along for the ride.  

So I have been away from the bench for a bit but progress hasn't stopped.  I have a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure, the body colour is on and details are starting to get picked out.  A few parts have been painted and lacquered. The body still needs a little rub down and coat of clear applying and then I will be attempting a panel wash for the first time ever! :fingerscrossed: I don't balls it up. 

Any how, here's the body with the chrome side strip:

wBWYoLnorAhHf500AF6uUxMXT7KuJ4KL-bKeaZAB

and a sneak peak of what the front end may start to look like.

gJsH3BMl9WwN0wihEXPCuDHJUefsAGzGISZ2YvYh

As always, thanks for taking the time to follow along, comments, advice and criticisms welcomed.

Coops

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

Body shell looks stunning in blue!

What/how did you use/do for the chrome strip?

Roger

Simply masked off the strip with 6mm Tamiya tape down the sides and the rest of the body with cheapo making tape, and sprayed it with Tamiya Chrome Silver (X11 iirc

removed the tape tape and then cleaned up the couple of bits of poor masking with a wet tooth pick 10 mins after it was applied, and wiped clean with a cotton bud. 

To to finish off a re-scribed the panel line around the edge and the door. 

Hopefully a a decent panel wash after clear coating should give it some real definition and make it ‘pop’ that bit more. 

Really pleased with the build so far.  Hopefully get another few hours on it tonight. 

Coops

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback and continued following of my little project.  I humbles me that other people take the time to look in.

Only had a small amount of time at the bench this evening as my walk with the dog went on,onger than expected.

Spent the time getting the front window measured and trimmed, followed by making off of the side and front windows, a little scrubbing with some sand paper and quick lick of primer.

Took a picture for the sake of having a visual to update with....

As always , Thanks, and C,C and A welcomed.

Coops

VsJuHNWqFd5KvGuWRacxMhi1dMD-nHcS8WVA6p9i

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My sincere apologies for the stop in updates on this build.

I have now moved house, been here a year and recently got back to the modelling.  I have dragged this kit from the Shelf and inspected where i left things.  I believe my shell needs a coat of laquer but most other pieces are almost ready to assemble.  I have also sourced some other wheels for it as the ones i had originally planned to use were, in reality far to big and wide, so hiroboy to the rescue with a set of Equipp short rims.

I have taken the liberty of updating with photos of the stages everything is at and plan to get this assembled and finished as my next build.  I have an M1 Procar in the stash begging to be built, but i am refraining from doing so until this one is in a display case in the lounge.

Ik6fS1gd804FxGhPeUOCWC0U7pq1-cp-bQ3E4Dyz

m1V4O7jwnYV7wfdqOShpuYUBtLdWOK-6erRoSX38

UlZfrCqd5GG2796P2Y0CGOLsCkim2uniiACTtwhg

pv-YYqWkhJJZny9taXT5uxxXXud2lebJZhzV-ZVl

A very blurry set of rear bumper corners

rsFO3rXNgjHxco2LYy_Sz58uohkMeKZMEmF31o40

AkEbNSdxilfKltKyCOPJznNfu9GdovXW4rudBpZm

BzLV23nGLu616fcrlE8emEKgC9bZse7LiN8Waril

2YxJ_tSlCTRaEjelvzTPoAVmQXfqbIz8qLkACSri

There are still some other pieces to get prepped, primed and painted like the steering wheel and front shocks, but the bulk of the work seems complete.

Thanks for stopping by,

Coops

• Like 5

Hi Cooper, very good to see your Caddy back on the bench. Can't wait to see the progress. My Caddy is still waiting on the stash, but now there might be a new chance for it to be started...

Once again good luck with this build

Cheers

Marco F.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so back out in the shed for a couple of hours. 

I have located the final pieces required for the build and removwed them from the sprues.  No primer as yet though, still a box of bits. 

Also the shell still requires another coat of laquer.  My main stumbling block came when i tried to fit the replacment wheels.

The holes in the back require drilling out to fit the Revell pin mounts, not so much of a problem, they will protrude slightly from the body and arches likely, but this is still not a major issue as people like their VW's wide.

My main issue is the current ride height.  I have included a couple of images to show what i mean, way to much space in the arches as it stands.

The Rear:

TGfP1FncKPdEqVH4TpNUA1LrRkw81Ft8qakCYyHj

The Front:

aSCiWkEXhEFTFC1f6XZLx1T05j186TEplmrM-7eP

I am considering my options here.  The rear should be fairly simple by carrying out an axle flip which is how it would be done on the 1:1

For the front i think i am going to be able to remove part of the receiving tube for the top of the spring, i will then have to manufacture an extra length of pin at the bottom to locate in the suspension arm.  I will also have to move the pin to the other side to meet the connecting steering rod.

If anyone has any other possible solutions, i look foward to hearing about them.

Here is the front spring for your considerations:

xYBAcvoIftzyZQWPomkPjAUzXtg20NTEakTjA-mO

Thanks for stopping by.

Coops

• Like 2

Ok, so i had a couple of hours this afternoon whilst the boy was having an afternoon nap.  Have modified the rear leaf springs and font suspension systems and now have a much nicer ride height.

Rear:

I used the rear axle from the Golf donor kit which wasnt required and took the brakes off and simply dremeled them out a curve on the lower side, then lopped off the axle ends on the resin leafsprings and axle.  From there it was a simple case of mating them on the upper side.  A fairly neat solution which will not be visible onthe completed model, so I am happy with that simple fix. 

9mM54VKCC1z0zcTJV9L9HhZutwRfnkih12InE9Vx

Front:

I went withthe solution of removing the upper portion of spring and then drilling and pinning with 1mm rod.  For the steering rod issue, again the platic pin was removed and drilled and repinned the other side with 1mm rod.

The vower part now doesnt meet the kit but i have filled the holes with two bushes made from a segment of cotton bud middle. (I will now simply be chopping the used unds of and retaining the middles as they are a useful comoditiy) I will drill and pin with a pice of 1.5mm rod to finish this off. 

6aq7SfEPF5ABM5mqjBFA4qz1VtnjleZWNrB3-clf

Result:

I have been able to mock it up to check ride height and wheel offset which are below.

_OawSzLzYjXWtacbZJ51XlDXqkme1VBcEZWEdwGe

GHIerNtrnmrePJSCbqhEuIZmL3rqr1NIl9lt9PJm

iNJmQD8B8tSUTxjc3yUTD81eWvBDSlwnB6xsXJc1

Thanks for looking in.  Commments & Criticism always welcomed as ever.

Coops

• Like 3

Good to see this one back in work.

The ride height looks good now, Maybe the rears could squeeze in a bit?

Although I do see cars around lately that are pushing the legality boundaries.

I also saw another Caddy last week. This one really needed a tidy up!

• Thanks 1

It’s still too wide at the back, but that will be easily fixed by dremelling the back of the wheel hub and axle pins a couple of mm. Will likely have to remove a couple of mm from the rear of the axle also but I’m fine with that as I’m not a massive fan of the rim protruding our past the tire as far as it does.

i had just fitted for ride height adjustment. 

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1