VW Caddy Mk1

Cooper645

Hi all,

While my Porsche draws closer to being completed, I have received all the parts for the VW Caddy Mk1.

It consists of a C1 Models transkit VW Caddy Mk1 which utilises....

The Revell VW Golf Mk1 kit.

I also intend to do a complete engine change for the VW 16V DOHC Turbo from clearlyscale.

I will add a straight through metal polished exhaust as the Golf's is simply not long enough.

I will also install a front mount intercooler I have in the stash from an old engine kit.

The interior will be refitted with a pair of Bride bucket seats.

As for the rims - I am as yet undecided but thinking along the lines of some Ronal Turbos.

I think with all the modification required I am going to build it, to check how things can go together and then split it down for painting followed by a final assembly.

Pictures to follow.

QfcJZxuH4vXAa_bL6V8PuOKdyowJ9TUtRWUB0J95

Haven't seen many of these done so think it should be an interesting build.

Cheers for stopping by,

Coops.

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 4

I "did" a VW Caddy over 20 years ago. That was a real one though... I really liked the U.S. mini truck scene at the time and being into VWs I decided to modify a Caddy. 

Mine VW was lowered considerably all round. I added a MK2 GTI interior and a MK2 Golf GTI "big" front bumper. Wheels were polished 15" polished alloys. Rear end was smoothed off and the pick up bed was boxed in and housed speakers and a sub. I painted it metallic blue...

Didnt realise a Caddy kit was available. Think I need to track one down and build a tribute to my old car as reading your post has brought many great memories of that car flooding back.

looking forward to seeing your kit build.

• Like 1

Look forward to seeing this come together.  Love the Caddy!

I just picked up a '76 Swallowtail shell a couple months ago.  I've been keeping my eyes open for a Kamei Berg Cup kit (Tamiya) to build as a mini version of what I'd like the real car to become, but the few I've seen have been more money than I'm willing to shell out right now.  Been into VWs for a number of years now, and currently have 3 (Mk1 Golf, Mk3 GTi, Corrado VR6).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Look forward to seeing this come together.  Love the Caddy!

I just picked up a '76 Swallowtail shell a couple months ago.  I've been keeping my eyes open for a Kamei Berg Cup kit (Tamiya) to build as a mini version of what I'd like the real car to become, but the few I've seen have been more money than I'm willing to shell out right now.  Been into VWs for a number of years now, and currently have 3 (Mk1 Golf, Mk3 GTi, Corrado VR6).

Had a few Mk1s but never a 3 or a Corrado. Corrados seen pretty rare, now.  Just googled the Kamei Berg thinking it was an Aircooled Gene Berg tuned car... Now I see it's a MK1 Golf, I remember having a simple RC model of that car when I was a kid. That must have been in the early 80's.

I Love these retro race liveries. I'm trying the convince a mate of mine that he should let me Martini livery his white 944 (I'm a graphic designer). A project I'd like to do for myself is a raised "New" Beetle tribute of the Tamiya Monster Beetle RC car. A colleague at work has had a red "New" Beetle for about 15 years. I'm hoping to get my hands on that.

I too like my VWs and currently run an 08 Passat estate for dog/bike/family duties and a new Polo GTI for giggles.

I'm mostly a fan of the Aircooled cars though but space and budget doesn't really allow at the moment. I was lucky enough to meet Gene Berg and have his wife show me round the factory in the early 90s. That was awesome.

Beastieboy - I was picking up some clear coat for the Porsche today and figured I would have a look for a colour I fancied doing this in. Ended up with Ford Electric / Monza blue. So maybe this build will bring back plenty of good memories for you.

Helios16V - I have only ever owned one VW, it was a VW Nova, kit car based on a 1970 beetle chassis with a 1642cc air cooled. Interestingly now I think about it, also in blue.

Arni - I look forward to seeing what you can do with your kit. No instructions with how to mod the Golf kit, so its a case of T&E, but I feel I am going to learn a lot along the way.

First up some Sprues:

VjnUuq8lXMBRWjPvgNqGOUChDlWPazn9vbRXJ87u

Lq4Ox1UIrtYVMgzAJdDSxot3W16SwZcEGHA3MyNs

tucQva4pEenilNdnLsmB61JdgtyluLGh5TY3fujK

the 2 shells for size comparison, bride bucket seats and engine wiring set

a close up of the engine

OHUSQkGklZITuoEPXsmrNCPHUVdZumWQWMKc2jQi

here it is mocked up and a quick fitting test:

YPOQiBkeJIl5msoJ-gDw3hgATw5QiVfDnuM2OGZ9

needed to sort out the front to allow for the Front Mount InterCooler (FMIC)

r-2SUizWXl4QbebX8IL000oyRi6zrZ3d7c4mR-me

ltL_MC_0O3Dc5p9gpYdvEOKdRckH0Y9_yl2D-dgr

some filler needed

g2HLqpWe5x2x70_v9ppUkoEqBCNwbQdLfCZhg8Na

and a bit of cleaning later

xx5VOG0IY1QrVk1zBPDW7bCg5SwgRrfZBGNY-68o

the chassis needs some cutting down roughly as follows by removing the marked area:

v5p3qsnU_aLHwBIYxz8A_k-eKgDNY5BSkZ879Aya

next was to sort out the exhaust, that was more awkward than I first thought it would be

UGq5ZwxDFrAUbLSq6Opbd1WrJbbmh5dUNVXp0J6u

obviously there are no rear seats in the caddy, so more cutting required on the interior, bye bye rear seats:  (ended up removing a little more down to the first lip)

xi6nkj2sBFfV-Bj3LTwAo2BU-G4k3wD9s-DpqDQF

and would you believe it, the roof lining also needed some work:   (again I needed to take more off than my rough markup)

hWYepGsc0gvckVPIsYYXsCHT4MzqRMxACrsDFU-R

And thats about where we are at currently.  Will be making a start on the FMIC pipes next, and theres not exactly a lot of spare room in the engine bay.

Thanks for jumping on for the ride, and I'll keep this up to date as we go.

Coops

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 4

Very good start so far. I've done a few transkits, a lot of thought and measuring goes into it!

Thanks Beastieboy & Hamden, indeed plenty of work to do.

Pat, absolutely, every time I go to do something on this I think, "I could improve this build if I just....", hard where to call the line.

I didn't intend on the FMIC, but then I went for it, and I thought, better do the piping, and I may as well stick a wiring loom in, a battery is supplied with the kit, so I may as well wire that up. No brad lines though, hmmm will I ever finish. its so damn fiddly at this scale. 

May treat myself to a 1/8th next year - Revell have released a 1/8 1965 Corvette Stingray C2 Limited Edition.

07434__s_o_1965_corvette_sting_ray_c2.jp

Any how, time to get on with some more building.

Coops

So some work done this evening, got the marked up parts chopped down to caddy size, trimmed the bases of the seats and test fitted, sorted the dash components for a UK build and have been seeing how I am going to get this whole lot together. (still not 100% sure but I have a good idea, and I think its going to end up with getting the interior all painted and fitted before doing the body work, so some fiddly masking. Will continue to try different approaches as I'm not entirely satisfied with this route.

Any how, a pic of the cut down pieces to their correct sizes and a few of the interior mocked up and fitted.

26tEG4fF1wwU45GFv9KeGyvkQlb3V38xR4xnLNYd

UQ0tWBV2xyiPU7LsKpJfku8U_4tUZcc9EHFWfnN0

K_eGvnYAVtg-hYUuo-rE-wqDZqrEQoYnBF7Io1q8

dbaOipfwQXvdQeycSD790rzAhGfjWr4XN0aPp4EX

NOgzg5_xMVeP8vfQBZanXDF2Ra_Mv5MQ3HQI8Rzr

Also had to 2000 grit the Porsche and re-laqueur the body. Fingers crossed on that one.

Chers for looking in as always,

Coops

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

OK,

Finally back at the table, the Porsche is finished and it is time to get on with this Caddy.

Spent some more time doing some simple measuring and test fitting and now at the point I can start getting some paint on.

So only a little update, here are the first load of primed parts that will be getting treated to some colour.

KcZ6X03uqmqRYD6zildWSnmj7qBxCFuOnO1Y2DvK

I think the engine and engine bay are going to take up a lot of my time on this build. The body will be getting its primer either later this week or early next week.  Just need to figure out the tail gate opening and closing method.  This TransKit has no direction at all so I hope to document this build well enough that it may help some one in the future as I haven't found much guidance on the web.

Thanks for stopping by.

Coops

Had another evening back at the bench, start of the week didn't really go to plan but at least we have Meade some progress.  Need to get on with this as I feel a date for the house move is imminent which means the modelling will be on a brief pause sadly.  

Any how, as I said:

a bit of the engine bay and the floor pan.  I found some old black strips of velcro (Soft side) laying around so decided I would use these cut to size to provide a carpet for the Caddy. Quite pleased with the outcome too.

884kEntkCQJQCq2d2eQdYIxANCVT66Lnei2N8Fn6

and also some colour on other bits of interior and engine bay.  I think I am going to go for a classic black interior with a touch of colour if it needs it.  The Engine bay will be that dark yellow to help highlight the little engine bay details. To be fair there shouldn't be too much on show once the engine, FMIC and piping, battery etc are all in place.

ThYYz5-TsEyJxOFbulAeEwZfSJLC1Bl0mhACzweq

Please excuse the mess of a modelling area behind.  Really can't bring myself to tidy it tonight. 

Any how, thanks for keeping track with the build to those that are, and thanks for dropping by for a look to those that aren't following but simply dropping in for a nosey.

As always, comments and productive criticisms welcome.

Coops

• Like 2

Very nice, I do like all the old VW's.  Just something about them.

So a little update, I left work mid afternoon and came straight back to the bench to get on with the Caddy.

The body shell, bonnet, battery and coolant expansion tank all got a coat of primer.

The engine bay got some further yellow coating, the dash got some paint and decals.  Tail gate dilemma was solved.....wait a sec, lets get some pics up shall we :idea:

So the tail gate got attacked with the Dremel in order to create a nice groove for the Aluminium tube to sit in, this will then have a thinner brass rod through it which will enable the tail gate to be raised or lowered.

F43QntVBoARl5q2Mo5Q0nWDBbU0AHMzAxOKmCrpX

and here it is fitted

a52WVDMssRuxmIxz9I-fRyYDWRIYQ2TwEV3r8ZpV

Just need to fill and Dremel to tidy it up.

The Caddy body got a lick of white primer along with the rest of the exterior body parts.

0IQ9n04jXWSD3KEht_cvwfXcenHT4x5JP0Ezz1J0

The engine bay looks more yellow now, just need to figure out a way to squeeze in the Radiator, as the engine conversion takes up more space than the original, may have to scratch build a new rad if I can't magic up some space.

dckwIFEgG0Gp4aPAht2oqeArFWZlmHhTrPqqcGYz

The dash got some decals fitted, they do still need some more micro sol applications but you get the idea...

PDkOxpzD2sYKisHqgAxop5ETi4RFpSSrApLRxFXc

and my dilemma was what colour do I use on the interior, I mocked up the cab and photoshopped the seats with some colour combinations, finally settling on brown, I feel this will compliment the ford electric blue well.

II_qP_CuKtBkgGchBtw8Wamd54Y26loOYGxjaead

And thats about where things are at the moment with the build.  Spent some time giving the bench an overdue tidy up and sort out.  Much neater which should assist with better progress.

As ever, thanks for looking in and I look forward to any comments until my next update.

Kind Regards,

Coops

• Like 2

So another evening spent at the bench, a little more progress made with the model, at the expense of a tennis ball chewed into a million pieces behind me by the dog.

Got the tail gate test fitted and it all looks promising

Closed:

5rq781sxYtgSaqCdD2qCKaSrfnzahpWqRtxg70ok

Open:

XmW_Nudaf_IPDHfoAJaXrW-7HZIdeYTbGnfKQ5xY

Had a quick test fit of the seats:

cFmOKAgU0kooTd5PFs8XRFur5aKjdShVcxjqxNHa

Decided they needed some decals and colour

FX5mf0KLmgcCueOQdgdpWZ2iRGEFdhiNZIpEpNWb

z0sDQJZ4AHhSAvFRIggHdLt0J1MmvTSI1qyk9-SE

The seats still need some touching up, lacquer and polish and finishing off with some harnesses.

And that pretty. much concludes the time at the bench this evening.

Thanks for stopping by to those that do, and taking the time to comment and like posts.

Until the new update......

Coops

Edited by Cooper645
pictures not loading correctly on mobile devices (fixed)
  • Like 2