Masking the Airfix Sea King HC4

wasacop

Hi all, I think I've set myself a bit of a tester this time! I've got the Airfix Sea King HC4 to have a go at and in a moment of madness I asked Mrs Wasacop which version I should do--all green or the green/white camo? No prizes for guessing which one she went for (and to be fair I agree with her)-- you got it the green/white one!

My question to those who know about these things is how much would I have to enlarge a scan of the painting guide to make some masks for this bad boy?

Thanking you all in advance for any help on this one,

Hilly

Edited by wasacop
I'm a biff!!

Trial and error is my way Hilly. Pre-scan then adjust scale then scan. Print which gives a first guide.

Then progress. Measure up against say the length of the fuselage. May take a few scans but the

argument is soon settled.

Finished the Hasagawa HC4 1/48 a few weeks ago. Nice aircraft to build. Mrs Stewart does not get a

look in. I do not advise her on her cuisine (say thanks for a great meal not stupid) but I do let her

have a look at my models from time to time. She is fascinated by PE and so I have locked up

my bending machine.

Look forward to seeing your SeaKing.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Thanks for that Laurie!

Should be interesting to say the least! Mrs H is a good stick and very supportive of my sticking plastic together and she loves airshows, to the extent that she likes me to build stuff we've seen hence this one which we saw at Yeovilton last year!

I might be way off here...but.

measure the fuselage length on the painting guide multiply by 72 (or model scale)  = ???

measure the same dimension on the model, then divide ??? by the result.

Then multiply the painting guide by that result

Then convert to %, scan and enlarge by that amount and print.

I think...

Tom

Having done tiger stripe Pumas, I would agree with Andy.

I wouldn't get too clinical with the application of the stripes, I try and find the best shots I can find and see what points or features of the airframe that the stripes pass through or come to a point at. ie they might come to a point at a fuel cap, or coincide with a panel line etc.  I then mark with pencil and paint free hand.

Having said that though I'm not an airbrusher, so you might be able to do the same by applying masking tape to the relevant areas and cutting after marking with pencil.

And don't forget, the white is applied over the dark green on the real subject.

8515639191_95f154dca6_c.jpgSea King HC.4 ZE425 WR 28 Feb 13 4 by James Thomas, on Flickr

PS I have a couple more shots if you need them

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Thinking after looking at the picture.

I would use white tack rolled thinly and pressed into position . By eye easy to adjust to conform to the correct alignment.

If you want a good hardish line airbrush at 90degrees. For a softer line airbrush into side of the white tack.

I use white tack as I have found blue tack leaves a very slight oily looking deposit on the surface.

Laurie

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, andyf117 said:

Simplest solution is scale up bottom, side and top views for each side, cut masks for all three.....

Apply side masks first, then add corresponding top and bottom sections to each, adjusting to fit.

Won't be perfect, but still better than trying to 'stretch' just the side ones....

More realistically, paint free-hand - I don't think the actual aircraft were painted using masks!

Having said that, there are some very sharp edges visible here, so maybe they were!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/13288480574/sizes/o/

The most common Stripys were masked at least from the mid 1990s when we were doing the IFOR and SFOR duties in the former republic of Yugoslavia.....Google SFOR sea king .

That said they used to spray or brush on a temporary white for some aircraft whilst doing clockwork Norway.

Thanks for all the replies chaps! Looking at the pics and having seen the real deal at Yeovil I would have definitely said it had been masked as the edges were well hard and the finish too good for a temp finish using brushes! Whichever way I go with this scheme it isn't gonna be a five minute job! 

On a side note I can't believe the towel rips either side of the nose aren't included in the kit! Still it's no biggy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well wasacop,daughter number one brought me a MkIV for Christmas.

Looks pretty good .....I might invest in a rivit maker.

Just looking  at the instructions I can see why people who are not shall we say intimate with the beast get confused with the EW sensors and the positioning.

Particularly the rear Maws sensors which were moved from the rear fuselage (empanage) to the tail pylon .In the end Sk4 mods did get quite complex ....there were fleets within fleets ...which is some feat considering there were 37 a/c.

Anyway not sure when I will start or what scheme..but I have a toom and a mig 27 to finish first.

Junglierating, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the kit! I finally got round to starting it just before Chrimbo after I had a hissy fit and lobbed my Airfix Vampire in the bin! I've been pleasantly surprised with the interior and fuselage fit so far! Can't be bottomed with adding rivets but the Eduard set is getting an airing! Still dreading the white/green camo tho! Look forward to seeing yours when you start it!

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 8:37 PM, wasacop said:

Junglierating, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the kit! I finally got round to starting it just before Chrimbo after I had a hissy fit and lobbed my Airfix Vampire in the bin! I've been pleasantly surprised with the interior and fuselage fit so far! Can't be bottomed with adding rivets but the Eduard set is getting an airing! Still dreading the white/green camo tho! Look forward to seeing yours when you start it!

Thanks.

But you fish that vampire out of the bin...then get paint stripping. Call in the repair team😃

• Like 1

That's gonna be a bit difficult! Little Miss Wasacop got all efficient and emptied the bin! C'est la vie as they say in Bulgaria!

When you get round to the Sea King watch out for the fuselage windows! They're not the best fit in the world!!

• 4 weeks later...