Handley Page Victor B.1 and 2 differences

71chally

Can someone confirm the K.2 span for me?

My understanding is that 18" inches were removed from each wingtip, just outboard of the aileron, taking the overall span to 117'.

however, I have seen the span regularly given as 113', but that seems way to short and not far off the B.1 span?

Was there any span reduction of the aileron?

On 03/01/2017 at 8:55 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Do you have a Victor website to go along with your excellent Canberra one?

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I like the Victor a lot, but I really don't know that much about it to build a site, plus the Canberra site takes up enough of my time without starting another one. 

This is one type that seems to be sorely lacking in having it's own website or page.

Ever since receiving a book as a child in the early '50s (I believe it was Jet Aircraft of the World), I've been smitten by the H.P. 80 and its spectacular two-tone paint scheme replete with red cheat line.  Would retrofitting the B.2 kit to appear as the prototype be feasible or is there an alternative starting point that might be easier?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

Ever since receiving a book as a child in the early '50s (I believe it was Jet Aircraft of the World), I've been smitten by the H.P. 80 and its spectacular two-tone paint scheme replete with red cheat line.  Would retrofitting the B.2 kit to appear as the prototype be feasible or is there an alternative starting point that might be easier?

Cashman is doing a WIP with the old Matchbox kit as we speak 

You would be a brave modeller to take the knife in such a fashion to convert the Airfix kit this way!! 

Good luck if you do. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I'm presently awaiting the arrival of my Victor. However, since I have a bit of a collection of Woomera aircraft (a Valiant built, several Meteors and a Mustang on the go, a Canberra in the "to do" pile) XH675 is a natural, so I'll be joining Dave. Can anyone tell me whether the Blue Steel shown in sloegin57's picture on p. 2 was an aerodynamic test round or a working example, and what colour it was?

My first thoughts are that all 'live' missiles would have been painted white, so the photo of page 2 could be a test/dummy round and possibly painted in a shade of light/medium blue. 

I'll dig a little deeper when I get a moment however this might help a little? There seems to be a few 'Woomera' related websites so the info is probably not that far away. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Admiral, 

Take a quick look at this YouTube video. 

At approximately the 11min mark there is some colour Victor BS footage. About a minute later their is some colour footage of XH675. It's a little hard to tell what colour the Blue Steel is, however it appears to be quite dark. 

By the way, Dennis would suggest that XH675 would have been fitted with the earlier nose flaps so the kits leading edge (from about mid span onwards) would need to be modified to a straight edge. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

This is one type that seems to be sorely lacking in having it's own website or page.

There is a Facebook Group dedicated to the Victor

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Admiral, 

Take a quick look at this YouTube video. 

At approximately the 11min mark there is some colour Victor BS footage. About a minute later their is some colour footage of XH675. It's a little hard to tell what colour the Blue Steel is, however it appears to be quite dark. 

By the way, Dennis would suggest that XH675 would have been fitted with the earlier nose flaps so the kits leading edge (from about mid span onwards) would need to be modified to a straight edge. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave. As you say, it's hard to tell what colour it was - looks to me to have been either weathered black or a very dark and patchy grey. And I did pick up Dennis' comment that XH675 was a pre-mod Mk 2 adapted for the tests, so that the wing leading edges will need modification. That's something to address when the kit gets here!

Cheers

DC

On 01/01/2017 at 4:28 PM, MVW said:

Rogers Brooks explictely mentions the fin height reduction from the prototypes to the B.1 and the deletion of the fin fillet (to reapear on the B.2), but no word about a change for the chord of the fin. I assume that the fin  just "looks" wider in chord on the B.1 because of the height reduction.

I'm still trying to find reference to a chord change, and failing miserably, had an idea it was mentioned in a period 'Flight' magazine.

I'm wondering though, could it be that the rudder that had the chord increased.

On the prototypes the fin/rudder trailing edge follows a straight line that terminates on the fuselage top side, the production aircraft the rudder trailing edge comes down before meeting a step in on the fixed fin portion before meeting the fuselage.  I wonder if the rudder was extended, but the fin base is the same as the prototypes?

Of course I could be wrong about the whole thing!

Talking of the prototypes, one way to tell the difference between WB771 and WB775 was the window arrangements.

WB775 had an extra window above, and another one just aft of the aft pilots side windows. 

The port side rear crew porthole was relocated from just above the intake area to slightly further forward and lower down ahead of the intake.  A porthole was added into the main door.

Colour schemes wise '771 started out as all over silver, shortly before the Sept 1953 Farnborough show it was painted in a striking matt black fuselage with a red cheat-line and wing section surround, with silver grey wings.

'775 was initially painted in that same black, red & silver grey scheme, before it was repainted in a lovely cerulean blue, in time for the 1955 Farnborough show.

The two aircraft never overlapped each other in the air, '771 flying from 24 Dec 1952 until its fatal crash in 14 July 1954, while '775 flew from 11 Sep 1954 (including a fly through at Farnborough on that day) until the late 1950s.

On 29/12/2016 at 11:58 AM, sloegin57 said:

Spot on Dave.  Reference Item 5, this may help - I'll let you scale it !.  B.Mk.2 mainplane pre-droop :-

VzGuEdB.jpg

I have probably broken every rule on BM regarding image size !!.  I will explain the numbers tomorrow (thanks to HP - a bit complicated)

HTH

Dennis

(Good Night)

Thanks, Dennis - great stuff!

Am I right to assume that the wing station positions relate to a datum on the fuselage centre line? Ditto the ribs? And dimensions in inches?

Can I kindly ask - does anyone here have any decent drawings of the early B.2 fin fillet (pre Blue Steel mod). 

One of my work colleagues is a gun 3D printing guru and I've asked him to assist me in hopefully producing something that would end up a lot more accurate than anything I could do! 

Cheers in advance... Dave 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Can I kindly ask - does anyone here have any decent drawings of the early B.2 fin fillet (pre Blue Steel mod). 

One of my work colleagues is a gun 3D printing guru and I've asked him to assist me in hopefully producing something that would end up a lot more accurate than anything I could do! 

Cheers in advance... Dave 

Cropped from AL Bently's 1/144th drawings.  I'll get back to answer a few q's after my MOT this PM

clLSgkx.jpg

HTH

Dennis

PM me your addy and I'll send some drawings over Dave

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 2

On 5 January 2017 at 7:30 PM, 71chally said:

Have you got a link to it Gordon?

I've seen various FB pages on the preserved examples but haven't seen one that covers the history and tech aspects in detail.

Struggling to link it on my iPad, but it's called Handley Page Victor - V Bomber

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at the photos posted by Scimitar initially, and David H above, would I be right in thinking that QRA jets were left on the ORP with the flaps lowered to the take-off position?

interestingly the B. 1s weapons bay doors are open; I assume that this was to allow for final fusing of the bomb before take-off with arming being done once airborne.

• Like 1