1969 Dodge Daytona Decals

vinnie the panda

Back in 81 or 82 I was driving past a petrol station in Kidlington, Oxford. Saw a tarp over a car, the back end  gave it away Wow! It wasn't a Duster but it's cousin, a Road Runner Superbird !

Turned 'round went in and asked to get a look at it. The owner was away so I left my phone number in hope. 2 weeks ish later he phoned me and I went over from Brize. Lovely. Pretty good condition, f/glass needed looking at in places but great to see and be able to sit in.

• Like 2

No , I didn't know anything special about it. Duh ! I read a Custom Car article  on the car back in the mid 70s and that Hurst shifter!

BTW.. It was Limelight Green !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Great color!  I'm a big fan of Corporation Blue. 

All the guys around here call those colors by their "banned by the government names."  For example Limelight green was originally Gang Green.  My favorite was Catch me Copper.  Gotta love a corporation with a sense of humor!  :frantic:

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

Remember seeing Dusters ,Roadrunners, Catalinas , Chargers ,Challengers,  in those "way out" colours in the States 1970.

Cousin was a "Chrysler Dealing Man" on Long Island ,drove a Plymouth Baracooooooooooda. Metallic Blue, White interior (leather ish!). Fish tailed it on every junction! Thought I'd left Earth, loved it.

This song is Cr*p The intro kills me though, its funny with an EFF.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Remember seeing Dusters ,Roadrunners, Catalinas , Chargers ,Challengers,  in those "way out" colours in the States 1970.

Cousin was a "Chrysler Dealing Man" on Long Island ,drove a Plymouth Baracooooooooooda. Metallic Blue, White interior (leather ish!). Fish tailed it on every junction! Thought I'd left Earth, loved it.

This song is Cr*p The intro kills me though, its funny with an EFF.

White interior (leather ish!) ...Here in the UK we called that Vinyl.

• Like 1

Technically the material was called naugahyde. It comes from the Hyde of the nauga monster-

thenauga.jpg

I'm serious.  That's what it was billed as.

Every year as a kid, I got a stuffed nauga from the manufacturers. That said "save the naugas" on his belly. 

Sorry for the OT post..... 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 2

You might be able to get Rub down lettering, Letraset in red or some other make, not sure exactly which typefaces you can get though. Matching the car colour might be hit and miss too. I've used it loads of times and just needs some kind of lacquer/varnish. I use acrylic. Kleer will be OK too I would think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

You might be able to get Rub down lettering, Letraset in red or some other make, not sure exactly which typefaces you can get though. Matching the car colour might be hit and miss too. I've used it loads of times and just needs some kind of lacquer/varnish. I use acrylic. Kleer will be OK too I would think.

I have Letraset but its too big unfortunately!

I was asking about colors because you could print the red your self. I'm sure you could take the kit and get the exact numbers on the colors from a hardware store.  Go home set up your printer to the same numbers and print them on blank decal paper. I would seal it then apply. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 0:23 PM, The Nomad said:

Try contacting Keith Marks, he makes all sorts of decals for cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's. $10.00 Canadian per sheet.

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/dodge/daytona-2/daytona/

Thanks chap, I want a few bits off him now :thumbsup:

If you can find the right typeface rub down decals there is a technique you could use.  Model railroaders used it in the past for coloured sign writing.

Paint the car colour overall.

Apply the rub down letters

Spray the stripe

Remove the rub down letters with masking tape

Voila!

Good luck 

Will

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, malpaso said:

If you can find the right typeface rub down decals there is a technique you could use.  Model railroaders used it in the past for coloured sign writing.

Paint the car colour overall.

Apply the rub down letters

Spray the stripe

Remove the rub down letters with masking tape

Voila!

Good luck 

Will

it does work.

• Like 1