Request for information: Weapon Class destroyers

shaunfletcher

Hi All,

Does anyone know if any company has ever made a model/kit or even close-to-suitable hull for the end-of-war weapon class destroyer class? Hopefully not something enormous but any scale would do. My father served on the ship of this class HMS Crossbow post-conversion and I would love to do something for him.

This is the class of HMS Battleaxe G18 (not the 1970s type 22 version!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon-class_destroyer

I have a large amount of source material, and while I am quite able to build the whole thing given a close hull base, I'm a little short of the skill/inclination to start from complete scratch. I know this is a somewhat obscure ship class but fingers crossed.

Thanks for your time/attention,

Shaun

The IPMS(UK) Small Warships Special Interest Group e-magazine has an article in its Issue 22 which explains this groups of ships and shows how to produce a model - PM me with your e-mail address and I will get a copy of the article to you.

Mike

As you haven't specified a preferred scale it is difficult to say, but you can convert almost anything given time and effort.I would think the easiest (?) option would be a Tribal class destroyer-Airfix in 600th,or Trumpeter in 700 or 350 scales,the latter having the advantage of the lattice mast which though almost certainly not exactly correct,could be adapted. WEM or Atlantic would be non starters simply because they produce (or produced) uniquely in resin,and hacking a resin hull would be be very hard work,not to mention the expense....plastic is the only way,unless you want to scratchbuild it,which you say you don't.

You might be able to use the 4" HA as well using this kit along with boats,davits etc,but everything else would have to be custom built.

Of course this just an opinion,I'd look at the plastic options available to you locally of course.

mtd

I see to recall an Airfix Magazine article on building the Weapons class in 1/600, back in the 1960s.  There was certainly an excellent one, by Peter Hodges, rather later on doing the Battle class.  Even though the Weapons conversion (assuming I haven't imagined the whole thing!) was pretty crude, it may at least point you towards the best hull to start from.  (I suspect it will have been a Tribal hull.)

Once upon a time all the old Airfix Magazine warship articles were available at:

http://www.davecov.net/modelling/

but that site seems to be defunct.  I'll have a little rummage.

Shaun, when was your dad on Crossbow? Mine was on her 1960-ish in the Med.

Here's a photo of her in 1952, pre-conversion:

Crossbow-1952_zpssu2zbeye.jpg

The Airfix mag conversion article is from April 1967; it bases the conversion on the 1/600 Daring kit. I downloaded it from Dave's website a few years ago. I can e-mail it to you, or you could get in touch with Dave (davecov) who frequents this site.

Edited by Paul Bradley
article info included

I took down my website a couple of months ago as my host no longer supported functions within it but the files are still on the server.

The first link is for the Weapon Class Destroyers whilst the second link is for the preceding Battle Class which might be of use to some of you.

Airfix Magazine - April 1967 - Weapon Class Destroyers

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 - Battle Class Destroyers

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the kind replies!

czechnavy I will PM you, thanks for the offer.

davepb I will look up Atlantic Models and see if they have anything of interest.

mollythedog I didnt specify a scale as it is a germ of an idea, and I dont want to pen myself in without any idea what is out there. 1/350 would be perfect, but smaller or even a bit larger would be quite fine. Plastic is of course easiest (especially as I have a lot of experience in other genres and lots of materials and tools). The similiarity of the Tribal class is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find out. modifying a hull, scratching fittings and the like. I will have a good look at the trumpeter! I am just a bit timid about trying a complete scratched hull, but maybe I should think about it.

Seahawk and especially Davecov, thanks SO much, that is stashed away now and will be invaluable, better info than I could have hoped to find!

Paul, amazing to hear from someone with a father on the same ship. My father served on her in the med in the very early 60s when she was a radar picket. might even have been shipmates.

Again thanks, if I go ahead I will of course post things here.

Shaun

• Like 1