1/72 Airfix Mosquito. I wouldn't normally build anything of this vintage (nice new re-boxing but early 70's plastic inside), but as I received it as a gift it would have been rude not to!

I found it a quite challenging build - gappy fits, lots of filling and sanding, raised panel lines, victorian water tank like riveting and let's not mention the undercarriage. Also the fuselage is twisted right along it's axis, so the tail section doesn't sit vertically. I went for the Australian silver scheme, which I think accentuates the aircraft's graceful curves and is more interesting/unusual than the all black night fighter and RAF camo options which were also available. I'm reasonable happy with the results, considering the limitations of the kit, but the main thing is that I enjoyed building it (apart from the undercarriage!)

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%201.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%202.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%203.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%204.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%206.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%207.jpg

Mosquito%20Mk.VI%20-%209.jpg

Mosquito%20MkVI10.jpg

Mosquito%20MkVI11.jpg

• Like 33

Nice recovery, and a splendid result.

The undercarriage on that kit has caused me no end of grief every time I've had a go at it: what's your secret?

Rivets can be sanded down and gaps are what filler's for, and it looks like you're a man who knows how to use it.  I've never had one with a twisted fuselage before though.

You do, of course, realise that now you've built this Airfix are about to announce a new, state-of-the -art, everything fits, multi-option truly stonking new tool Mosquito and for that I, for one, sincerely thank you!

• Like 1

Beautiful job! Looks lovely in the RAAF colours. Built one of these years ago and I remember having problems with the undercarriage. It was disassembled by my then toddler son (now a strapping almost 15 year old). In the same incident he reduced a completed Tamiya Mossie 1:48 scale bomber to its constituent parts.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:46 AM, Finchley Bantam said:

gappy fits, lots of filling and sanding, raised panel lines, victorian water tank like riveting and let's not mention the undercarriage. Also the fuselage is twisted right along it's axis, so the tail section doesn't sit vertically.

Ah yes, but isn't that what makes modeling a challenge.  Good outcome anyway.  And "Mozzie?"  What is that, a little piece of mozzarella cheese?