Airfix(yes Airfix) Short's Sunderland.

stevej60

Hi folk's I know this kit is older than me but it was a kit that sat high up on the shelves in the model shop when I was a kid out

of reach and out of my budget,so it's about time I built one.I know it's far too long in the tooth with it's rivett's and moving parts

but for twelve quid I could'nt resist.I'm doing an OOB build with only a tinker here and there especially the cockpit but more later.

Boxing is a Humbrol era gray molding.

DSCN4179_zps8rp6gvbz.jpg

Quite a large kit when built and the rivett's were not as bad as I expected,decal's OK.

DSCN4228_zps5uvt3jkg.jpg

Glazing OK shame the cockpit glass is frameless.

DSCN4230_zpsmmagk5n4.jpg

Among the many pitfall's to come are the way the turret guns are just poorly molded figures with a hole in to which the guns glue

but I'll think of something all I want to achieve is a build of the basic kit hopefully finished with my present painting ability so as 

soon as the Banshee is finished I will make it my Christmas build.

• Like 23

An appropriate Christmas build - the Sunderland was the Airfix Christmas kit in 1959.  Back then they issued one high-series kit timed for the Christmas season,  always a hit in our house.  It was moulded in a very appropriate white so a failure to paint the camouflage was not so out of place but the model pretty well disappeared when I landed it in the backyard snow.

I've had one in the stash for many years.  The fuselage aft of the cockpit has some non-lethal warpage but is otherwise as remembered over 50 years later.  I'm looking forward to your build.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Lookig forwards to it Steve. I might have the Falcon canopy set for it if you need it, far better than the kit parts!

Thank's Woody I'll see how I fare with the kit one and let you know.

• Like 1

Flightpath also do a detail set for this kit IIRC, although it's a long while since I gave mine away after I got the big resin one.  Might be worth tracking a set down to improve some of the weaker areas.  I'd also take Woody up on his offer of the vacform canopy, as the kit part is horribly thick by today's standards :)

• Like 1

Morning folk's, the cockpit is a real child of the sixties basic is an understatement,built as meant there are two huge lumps into which

the control yolks fit which places them in a position touching the instrument panel which means only Stretch Armstrong could fly the

plane while sitting in the seat I just flipped the floor over filled the molding marks and the seat backs.

DSCN4232_zpstpkpqeqa.jpg

I added a centre console to busy up the area and will need to scratch build a rear bulkhead,on the real thing there are two

prominent frames behind the seats but I don't want to stray too much from the spirit of an OOB build so it is what it is and

last job of the session has been an interior green base coat.

• Like 4