ICM P-51D 1/48

Plasto

Hi,

I'm currently waiting on the resolution of a minor issue with my new MENG P-51 kit so I dragged this ICM P-51D out of the stash and have made a bit of a start...

6E160BB6-9275-471A-9D48-6992FEEBC349_zps

The kit kit is a bit of a 'homage' to the Tamiya P-51 with a few bit of Accurate Minatures inspired plastic thrown in. It's moulded in white plastic and the main parts devoid of any locating pins.  The figures are quite nice and this copy seems to be devoid of the sink marks that can plague these kits.. The down side is my boxing while sealed and bagged has no Instructions. Up sides are a nice level of detail. A few options in the box such as canopy choice,  exhausts, and prop blades as well as drop tanks or bombs. I have a few Tamiya spares left over which I may use.. I think with careful assembly it should be ok..

if it goes together ok then I might finish it as a CBI Air Commando Aircraft. I can probably scrabble together decals and paint for that sort of scheme.

Cheers

Plasto..

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

So some progress of a Rapid Nature...

Cockpit Done.. The kit bits are ok and cleaned up ok I added some Mike Grant Instrument Decals and some home made seat belts from aluminium tape. 

I have closed up the fuselage and sorted the alignment with a few clamps..  I also puttied the upper and lower wings with some MR. Dissolved putty ( awesome stuff). There is a good guide with a bit of google fu which makes this easy. I basically left the gun bay access panels alone.  I have sanded the wing tops you can see the 

The insert for the gear bay is also bonded in..

untitled-2757_zpsol3wrnug.jpg

There you go with a good session at the bench things can happen..

Cheers

Plasto..

• Like 4

Tailplanes on intake lips added seams sorted and wings mildly polished with Micromesh... The Dissolved putty has taken care of the wing panel lines only the gun and ammunition service panels are left unfilled. 

untitled-2778_zpsvaklkbvw.jpg

untitled-2780_zpsrsz0rgye.jpg

Im sure a primer coat will throw up a few things..

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 3

A great start so far Plasto. 

Ive been looking at the ICM Kits as they seem good value for money but a bit too good value for money, if you get where I'm coming from, and wondered how they would go together so nice to see one being built.

Will keep my eye on this one. 

Hi Ant,

Ita a well detailed well fitting kit. Just a bit rough around the edges with flash and the odd sink mark and no location pins none of which really hinders construction. As you say price wise they are pretty reasonable. 

I did did a bit more last night with the cowling fitted, I added some fine brass tube to improve the .50 cal machine gun barrels in the wing and gave it a shot of fine grey primer. This threw up a couple of minor issues which I'll sort out today.

cheers

Plasto

36 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Hi Ant,

Ita a well detailed well fitting kit. Just a bit rough around the edges with flash and the odd sink mark and no location pins none of which really hinders construction. As you say price wise they are pretty reasonable. 

I did did a bit more last night with the cowling fitted, I added some fine brass tube to improve the .50 cal machine gun barrels in the wing and gave it a shot of fine grey primer. This threw up a couple of minor issues which I'll sort out today.

cheers

Plasto

Thanks for the info on the kit, might be tempted in the new year depending what Santa brings 

looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Keep up the good work :D

So I Have cracked on with the paint. 

It had a shot of Tamiya fine grey primer straight out of the can. This got buffed up a bit and then I painted the wings in neat Tamiya AS12 decanted from the can to represent the painted finish on the wings of a factory fresh P-51D. You can see the panel lines have pretty much blended in with the putty treatment.

I masked the wings and painted the fuselage with MR Super Metallics a main coat of superfine silver then a mixed coat of silver and chrome silver. Contrast panels in Stainless steel and control surfaces on the wings in Titanium knocked back a bit with silver, anti glare panel in MR Color Olive Green with a bit of fast post painting chipping around the fasteners. 

So its at the generic Mustang Stage...  I need to paint the prop and other 'fiddly bits' 

untitled-2802_zpsjchzxvuv.jpg

untitled-2803_zpsqijxu4jj.jpg

Let me know what you think..

Cheers

Plasto....

• Like 4

On 15 December 2016 at 8:31 AM, Antb said:

A great start so far Plasto. 

Ive been looking at the ICM Kits as they seem good value for money but a bit too good value for money, if you get where I'm coming from, and wondered how they would go together so nice to see one being built.

Will keep my eye on this one. 

They are an exact copy of the Tamiya mould, it's just they use softer plastic so the quality isn't as good, hence the flash etc. 

Nice work so far Plasto I'm pretty certain I follow your Instagram feed! 

A few bits sorted out over the weekend.

514CC40D-037A-49E1-A534-C2A078AC02E9_zps

I added some brake lines from fine lead wire with a bit of masking tape for clips.

M10 Bazooka tubes tweaked a bit with tape for the strapping and an extra bracing strap added from plastic strip.

B679A4D8-6C22-4C79-90B4-8422006BCE82_zps

I also painted the drop tanks and added a feed and breather tube out of fine lead wire.

7CEEE3F9-9B1B-436A-BD2B-93A2C7F619FE_zps

The prop blades and spinner are also painted and I've painted the rear canopy...

Waiting on some decals... but still plenty to be doing.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 4

So its up on its U/c Prop and assorted 'fiddly bits' painted...

untitled-2887_zpshjztzwj8.jpg

i need to paint the windscreen frame and the exhausts. i can probably add a few stencil decals while I'm at it as well. 

Hope you like it so far..

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So with a bit of a hiatus with Christmas and waiting on Some decals I have been making some progress over the last 24 hrs or so.

The Decals arrived...

untitled-2933_zpsmyw382zy.jpg

Very nice they are... I painted on some black Stripes onto the aircraft to get the decalling process underway..

untitled-2932_zpstynverbv.jpg

Gunze MR Colour Black.. nothing fancy you may note I also repainted the gun bay panels to tone them down a bit... The Ehxausts have had a couple of coats of rustall. 

I applied the decals straight to the painted finish once I had trimmed off most of the excess carrier film...

untitled-2938_zpsawggbuii.jpg

Subsequent to this it had a quick coat of satin clear coat I mixed my self form tamiya and gunze clear coats.. Thinned with lacquer thinners..

I spent a couple of hours weathering lightly... 

Nothing too harsh and It's done...

untitled-2950_zpsrivpa6pa.jpg

First completion for me for 2017 and nice to get this one done..

Thanks for following along.

More images in the Gallery..

Cheers

Plasto.

• Like 5